Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried this tire yet? I'm shopping around, 1500 miles on the stock bridgestones. It was new in 2014 I believe, updated compound but the same profile as the previous version. They are only $5 cheaper than the PR4 which is the other tire I am considering.

I don't ride in rain much, and when I do I slow down anyway, so setting wet lap times in not important to me. The reviews praise the "neutral feeling" of the tire. I had a said of Conti road attacks (the first edition) on my Katana back in 2007, I liked them a lot. Obviously, the FZ-09 is a different animal, but I am hoping to get at least 8-10k on a set mostly commuting.

The PR4's have the harder compound in the center, which some riders do not like but generally overwhelmingly good reviews. Anyway, since the EVO is fairly new I don't see many hands-on reviews, and really haven't heard how long they last.

2014 Motorrad Touring Motorcycle Tyre Test - TyreReviews

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have them on my sumo and love them. I take them offroad a lot too

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
957 Posts
The older one (the pre-"EVO" one) got mixed reviews. Generally speaking Continental tires are a bit love-it-or-hate-it. One thing I do know is that people generally agree that only their absolute highest-end tires (of which the RoadAttack2 EVO is) are worth looking at. Their lower end tires are junk compared to competitors.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Obviously, the FZ-09 is a different animal, but I am hoping to get at least 8-10k on a set mostly commuting.

2014 Motorrad Touring Motorcycle Tyre Test - TyreReviews
Run a few sets of Conti Road Attack/RoadAttack2 on two WeeStrom 650's over the years. Normally got your target mileage out of the rears. The fronts never wore out; the cupping eventually got so annoying I just replaced them. Loved the tires. They were always stable and predictable from commuting to "boy racer" mode on the local back roads. Of course, WeeStroms 650's are long, stable, heavy and docile compared to an 09 on the boil.

I put a set of Mich pr4 on the 09. Getting acceptable(maybe 8k) mileage out of them, but I've had consistent poor edge grip. I normally like a "too taut for good traction" suspension feel. I've been softening the suspension and lowering tire pressures. That helped, but last weeks 80-85F temperatures helped more. Sliding scuff on tread reduced and bike feels more planted, stable. They are sport "touring" tires after all. I'll consider Conti's at replacement time. You know, any thing on sale?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your poor edge grip is almost certainly due to the high air pressure. The carcass of the tire isn't flexing enough to create the heat that provides grip... that is why on the hotter day as you pointed out, the tires warmed up a bit more and provided grip. I would expect the same behavior of any tire, so that is not necessarily the fault of the pr4. Are you running the recommended 36f/42r? At those pressures the tire is hard as a rock and will generate very little heat. I'm running 32/32 and after a spirited ride putting my hand on the tire will tell me that it is "warm" to the touch. It is very hard to get a street tire "hot" in my experience, but I haven't done all of the fancy roads with names like "dragon", etc... There are threads around here talking about the tire pressures, but I just wanted to mention it.

Thanks for the info

1 - 6 of 6 Posts