Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Can the chain be removed without breaking it? I mean if you first removed the front sprocket, couldn't you just squeeze chain past counter-shaft and pull it out the back & then off rear sprocket -- because of the single sided SA? Just wondering. (If so, you could more easily convert to belt drive if you wanted. Such as "Quiet Power Drive".)
BTW, I don't own an 09 yet; just doing my homework. Lotsa' good info in this site! :)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
The fz 09 doesn't have a single side swing arm...? #confused

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was able to get the rear tire off without breaking the chain.
Just get the axle out, caliper off, raise the tire and slip out sprocket from the chain.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Triumph use them for looks alone. The DSSA swingarm Daytona 955 weighed in at something like 7kg less than the SSSA version.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I was able to get the rear tire off without breaking the chain.
Just get the axle out, caliper off, raise the tire and slip out sprocket from the chain.
That's the correct way to remove the chain. I was told by a MC shop that if you break the chain, it could be difficult to buy the correct master link. :color: :cool: :color:

UPDATE: :sign13:DFNDOUG is correct. Look at it. If I had looked at it I would have seen breaking the chain is the only way to remove it and not made a stupid response.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
That's the correct way to remove the chain. I was told by a MC shop that if you break the chain, it could be difficult to buy the correct master link. :color: :cool: :color:
no, you cannot remove the chain without breaking it unless you remove the swingarm.* taggat was removing the wheel, not the chain.

they do sell replacement master links, so you can buy one from your dealer if the chain is the oem one.

* only if it's an unbraced swingarm. the 09's is braced, though, so chain removal requires breakage.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
The chain is a common D.I.D. 525 chain. River type master links are readily available.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
No,you can't even do it by removing the swingarm.
If you do that you will still have a swingarm with a chain looped through it.
yes, if it's a braced swingarm, like the 09's. removing an unbraced swingarm like on the 07 will allow the chain to removed intact. but that's an awful lot of trouble to go through to remove a chain, especially when there's really no reason to remove a chain except to replace it anyway.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Come replacement time, if you decide to invest in a good chain breaking tool, remember that you gotta grind the ends off the pins of a link before attempting to use the tool. I've read a lot of bad reviews on how this or that breaker's junk because it broke and wondered if they tried pushing a peened over link pin through with the tool.
I have a RK brand chain tool that will break a chain and set the ends of a rivet-type master link. Vs. a clip-type link, it's a more secure way of installing a new chain. I bought the RK set quite a while ago and have yet to actually use it. (Used one like it while wrenching at my friend's shop until now.) That said, like any good tool, it makes a job easier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
What the hell was I hallucinating? :embarrassed:
In the photos I'm frequently pouring over I notice each side of the SA is completely different from the other which kinda' threw me off. I see now that it's got a regular SA. Sorry for the confusion.
I did a belt conversion on my current bike and although I like the result, it was quite a PITA to do & required a slot being cut in SA brace and a special spacer to bridge the gap. If I got a rock in there and the belt broke out in central nowhere, I'd be screwed. I just hate friggin' chains! More specifically; I hate the maintenance & mess of chain drive. Still, it might be worth enduring to have the 09. More and more I get the impression it was the bike I was looking for when I bought something else -- before the 09 was available of course.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
At least chains don't squeak in the rain... that was the only thing I didn't like about belt drive. I'll be investing in a decent chain tool when the time comes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts