Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Fuel tank

Not sure if the owner of this bike is on the forum but I saw it in the parking lot when I was leaving the International Motorcycle Show in Long Beach and wanted to get your take on how the TKC's feel on this bike. Not that I would change to them but they do look cool as hell on this bike.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I guess to each their own, but I think they look horrible on there. The FZ, in my opinion, is not an adventure bike so why put tires like that on there? Snow? Ice? I'm not riding in either one of those scenarios.

Reactions: RichBaker and beck

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When in person it just gave it a rough "Mad Max" vibe that I thought looked cool. Like I said not I direction I would go but as a point of curiosity I am wondering how those tires handle on the street. They have a blocky tread pattern to them but still maintain a rounded street tire profile. Just one of those things that make you go hmmm.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Bob, can't say that I remember seeing those. But still, a road going to my house might be what......a mile or two long? I'm still not putting adventure tires on my street bike for a gravel driveway/access road, when 99% of my riding is on pavement and I want tires that will stick like glue in the twisty stuff.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I'm not thinking I would try them on any of my bikes, for the type of riding that I do personally. I'm sure that if the guy had them put on his bike, he has a reason for it........but it just wouldn't work for me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rich, did you leave the rider a note under the seat strap?

Vern, I forget his screen name, but have you seen the videos by the Tennessee 09 rider of his gravel road going to his house? Lol yikes, he could use some street leaning adv tires.
No, the note that's on there is a flyer that got placed on everyone's vehicle.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Its a very interesting look, i wouldn't go that way either...but I like the look.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
If you were adding 3" of suspension travel, engine crash bars with big aux. lights and huge aluminum cases... It might look good, and might even buy one as an adventure bike (shoild be my next ride) as a smaller S-10.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Those are good tires. Had em on a Vstrom and took em on fire roads alot, but also did pretty freakin well on the street and kinda stuck well in the twisties. I would consider them here in Idaho because there are alot of really fun fire roads up in the mountains, take the bike to some camping spots. For riding on fire roads, you really don't need much more suspension that what this bike has. It would be great for fire roads because it is so light, can be tossed around in the corners. I would probably keep it in B mode though.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Those are good tires. Had em on a Vstrom and took em on fire roads alot, but also did pretty freakin well on the street and kinda stuck well in the twisties. I would consider them here in Idaho because there are alot of really fun fire roads up in the mountains, take the bike to some camping spots. For riding on fire roads, you really don't need much more suspension that what this bike has. It would be great for fire roads because it is so light, can be tossed around in the corners. I would probably keep it in B mode though.
Being from Montana...I would also seriously consider similar tires...the bike isn't that much heavier than dirt bikes I would rather have do it all tires than road tires that put you on pins and needles on anything but clean asphalt. But down here in CA I will keep road tires on her.

But then again it would be just as easy to buy a bike that is for it with all the desirable features :) the more sets of two wheels the better :)

Reactions: knobbyaddiction

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah making a high speed gravel runner out of this bike to do stuff like maintained fireroads in Maine, eastern Canada, running up to Alaska etc would be totally doable with this bike on these tires. Maybe a little skid plate just in case you bottomed out over a jump.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I live in Fairbanks Alaska and last summer I saw an S1000RR with Avon Distanzia tires (if you dont know they are an adventure touring tire) and luggage on it, covered in dirt. So I guess you can theoretically use any bike as and Adventure bike...wish I would have taken a picture of that bike...

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Man, lets face it. Back in the 60's and 70's our fathers and grandfathers rode the piss out of big heavy bikes with shet suspensions and knobby tires. They rode em right out in the desert and woods, rode em straight up steep and loose dirt hills and jumped em. Hell, every bike was an adventure bike back then. Ya, our fathers and grandfathers had some serious balls back in the day. The FZ would do fine on fire roads and would have been considered light with great suspension travel back then.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i'd have this adventure bike:

Ducati 1199 Panigale TerraCorsa ? Off-Road Superbike Exclusive

putting knobbies on an 09 isn't any sillier than bolting a huge windscreen on it. mods like these generally aren't for looks, they're for functionality. the ridiculous look comes from the bike being used in a manner not originally intended. humans have been doing this since forever.

wish i had knobbies on my gsxr1100 when i was riding through snow drifts the day after the blizzard of '93.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I could not agree more.
On many trips out west, I have seen and ridden, with guys on those tires, hauling ass big time in the curves, bikes were loaded with gear too..
Those tires are legendary, believe me.

I had my FZ on some gravel roads this past weekend, (not looking for them, hit a detour) and was very surprised how well it did in B mode.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think that's actually a spy shot of the new XTZ850.

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Hmmm, my 1990 Super weighed 120lbs more, and made only 67hp. I think this engine would be better that the 1200 the have now.

·
Registered
768 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts