1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Not to cast aspersions on your idea, but personally, I've never once read any kind of good reviews on anything Continental motorcycle tires. I have no experience with them but I'm not willing to take a chance on putting tires on a motorcycle that don't have good to great reviews. Hopefully their quality has improved over the years, but I can remember not too many years ago, you almost couldn't give them away. Again, not trying bust your bubble, but do some serious research before you make a decision.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Don't do it!!!!

I ran and still run those on the FZ6R, good enough for a heavy / under power bike. The 09 has to much torque and too light for those. I had a 60 MPH wheel spin in 3rd gear in the rain... dump them and got the Angel GT instead. Save $$$ and buy the right tires.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The only continental tires that are worth buying are the latest iteration of their "attack" series (sport attack 2, race attack 2, road attack 2) and even then they don't outperform comparable tires from michelin, dunlop, or pirelli which cost a lot less.

If the idea of saving a buck on tires is that important to you then go with Bridgestone BT023. They cost substantially less than the other 3 big sport touring tires (pirelli angel gt, dunlop road smart ii, michelin pilot road 4). It's the only lower cost sport touring tire I can comfortably recommend to anyone. it's obviously not on the level of the other 3 but it's still going to offer respectable performance which is more than I can say for anything else in its price bracket.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. My original idea was the PR4 or the new Angel GTs. I had a friend find the Contientals but I had doubts.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The only Continental Tires I have ever used are the attacks on my Supermoto and they seem to be quite grippy..

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I ran Conti Motions on two different lightweight-low hp bikes and they worked just fine. However I would not recommend them on a FZ09. The 09 has too much torque and you'll shred them in 2,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Dunlop q3 (or q2) ftw!
There's no doubt that the Q3 is a great tire for being sticky, but I only got 2700 miles out of the rear on the FZ09. The front made it to about 5200. They stick very well, they just don't last very long.......at least not on a FZ09

·
Registered
957 Posts
Dunlop q3 (or q2) ftw!
The Q3 is not the end all be all tire people make it out to be. It he gets extremely short tire life, it's more easily upset by bumps and road imperfections, and it rattles your teeth more. Besides the OP was asking about sport touring tires so why would you even bring up Q3s in a discussion about sport touring tires?

·
Registered
82 Posts
There's no doubt that the Q3 is a great tire for being sticky, but I only got 2700 miles out of the rear on the FZ09. The front made it to about 5200. They stick very well, they just don't last very long.......at least not on a FZ09
Yeah but I mean, if you're trying to go fast, who cares about mileage on tires?

If somebody cares about mileage on tires....maybe the fz09 isnt the bike for them.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Yeah but I mean, if you're trying to go fast, who cares about mileage on tires?

If somebody cares about mileage on tires....maybe the fz09 isnt the bike for them.
Wow now that is an extremely narrow minded statement. First of all the FZ09 is not a Superbike or a Supersport. Just because you bought one does not mean you're all about constantly pushing the envelope 100% of the time. Secondly believe it or not most people in most parts of the country don't have access to the kinds of roads that allow them to ride like they would at, say, Deals Gap. Does that mean the bike should only be sold to such privileged individuals? Finally, modern sport touring tires can arguably be ridden just as hard in real world road conditions as good Supersport tires. If you want to take advantage of what a Supersport tire can do but a good sport touring tire can't, you'd need access to a track or "fantasy" roads like Deals Gap. On real world roads where they aren't perfectly smooth and maintained and you have to travel a decent ways away (about an hour of slab in my case) just to get to the twisties, sport touring tires are the ideal.

My point is, being able to push your bike hard enough to find the limits of sport touring tires outside of a closed course setting requires an extremely rare combination of both perfect road conditions and an insanely high degree of skill that only a fraction of a percent of riders probably possess. And if you honestly think only those people should be privileged enough to own this or any other bike on the market then you are extremely narrow minded.

·
Registered
82 Posts
most people in most parts of the country don't have access to the kinds of roads that allow them to ride like they would at, say, Deals Gap. Does that mean the bike should only be sold to such privileged individuals?
Now I think you're starting to get it.

The answer is Yes

·
Registered
36 Posts
Damn! I get about 6000 miles front and rear on my Q2 with my 2008 R1. I assuming you are a very aggressive ride and you did a few trackdays with the tires.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Damn! I get about 6000 miles front and rear on my Q2 with my 2008 R1. I assuming you are a very aggressive ride and you did a few trackdays with the tires.
Actually, only 1/2 a track day. I rode the morning sessions on my track bike and then in the afternoon, I took the FZ out for the last 4 sessions.......the rest of the mileage was street only. I do push pretty hard sometime and combined with the fact that the bike has gobs and gobs of torque, the rear just doesn't last on the FZ09. At the present time, I've got approx. 3k miles on a rear Pilot Power III and it's about half way (maybe slightly more) done. I will say that it isn't quite as sticky as the Q3, but lowering the cold pressure to 30psi helps the tire to heat up and stick....but of course it is going to cut the total miles a bit shorter than if I ran let's say...34psi cold pressure.

Reactions: ridetofish
1 - 19 of 19 Posts