Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
You won't regret it!! There are a few guys on here who are happy that they made the switch. I also have a friend that now wants to sell his fz1 and find an 09!

·
Banned
486 Posts
do it! cheaper bike, nicer bike, more flickable, cheaper to maintain. only down side is no centerstand and smaller tank

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I had a gen1 fz1 for a couple of years and I rate it as the best all around bike of the 60+ bikes I have owned. The FZ09 is more fun due to the torque, power and weight combo. The only thing the FZ09 does that is not as good or better than the gen 1 fz1 is riding 350+ mile days. Up to 350 miles, the fz09 equals or beats the gen1 fz1 in every aspect.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
You can get an after market centre stand, and the FJ centre stand might fit as well.

Centerstand - Yamaha FZ09

I have been wondering if anyone is going to figure out a reserve fuel tank to add to the 09?? as I know guys that have added them to their cruisers. It's just hard to say where you would be able to mount one?

or carry a couple of these in a tail bag, or saddle bags.

fuel-bottles.jpg

·
Registered
962 Posts
With my Corbin seat my FZ-09 is all day comfortable. The tank is smaller - but you get better mpg so the distance on a tank is close to the same. The suspension is better on the FZ1, but the FZ-09 weighs like 75lbs less. If you carry a passenger most of the time then I'd stick with the FZ1 - the extra weight means it isn't affected by the passenger moving as much. Think of the FZ-09 as something as much lighter than the FZ6 than the FZ6 is to the FZ1 - but it makes similar power to the FZ1. From what I remember the power was very similar up until about 7k - then the FZ1 was stronger.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had a gen1 fz1 for a couple of years and I rate it as the best all around bike of the 60+ bikes I have owned. The FZ09 is more fun due to the torque, power and weight combo. The only thing the FZ09 does that is not as good or better than the gen 1 fz1 is riding 350+ mile days. Up to 350 miles, the fz09 equals or beats the gen1 fz1 in every aspect.
I too rated my '03 FZ1 as my favorite all time bike...until I bought this niner. You will love it. I had a carb kit and exhaust on my FZ1 and this FZ09 is just as fast; feels even faster. The weight difference is surprisingly noticeable. Great bike and great fun.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
You can get an after market centre stand, and the FJ centre stand might fit as well.

Centerstand - Yamaha FZ09

I have been wondering if anyone is going to figure out a reserve fuel tank to add to the 09?? as I know guys that have added them to their cruisers. It's just hard to say where you would be able to mount one?

or carry a couple of these in a tail bag, or saddle bags.

View attachment 14883
No reason for an extra fuel tank. Modify the filler neck by installing a few 1/4 holes in it with a big punch and viola, capacity is increased from 3.7 to 4.0 gallons and at 45 mpg that is 180 mile range.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My current centerstand doesn't work with the rearsets I have on, anyway. I only put it on to change tires.

I don't want more range...I like the excuse to stop every once in a while. Besides, here in the east gas stations are much closer together.

I guess you guys have talked me into it.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
My current centerstand doesn't work with the rearsets I have on, anyway. I only put it on to change tires.

I don't want more range...I like the excuse to stop every once in a while. Besides, here in the east gas stations are much closer together.

I guess you guys have talked me into it.
I bet the FZ1 is 10x more stable on the highway. I get blown around quite a bit on the highway when on the FZ09. The FZ1 must feel more planted at highway speeds whereas the FZ09 wasn't meant to be a highway cruiser.....Then again, some guys don't mind getting blown (around) all afternoon.:cool:

Reactions: Dpak

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I bet the FZ1 is 10x more stable on the highway. I get blown around quite a bit on the highway when on the FZ09. The FZ1 must feel more planted at highway speeds whereas the FZ09 wasn't meant to be a highway cruiser.....Then again, some guys don't mind getting blown (around) all afternoon.:cool:
I have observed several riders that complained of being blown all over the road and while following them, it was not their bike that was being blown around, it was their head and their body following their head.

Not saying that is what you are experiencing just a suggestion. I weigh 230 plus gear and I don't get blow around on my FZ09 anymore than any other bike.

Now I HAVE been blown around when I was trying to ride on the freeway on 300 lb KLX250SM... I attributed getting blown around to the light weight and the big front fender way up high in the wind.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
^^^ the FZ09 and the KLX wet weights aren't that far off. If you've been blown on one chances are under certain circumstances you'll be blown around on the other -- Neither can compare on the highway to the FZ1, Wee-Strom, or Versys IMHO.:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts