Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am heavily considering picking this bike up next spring but understand a lot of people dont recommend this bike to a beginner. I'm kind of confused where I stand. I'm 25 and I just started riding earlier in the year on a ninja 250.. and I put about 1000 miles on her. I took the msf course before prior to obtaining my license. My confidence on the 250 rose considerably and already feel the need for something more. I'm going to put a lot of miles on w.e bike I end up with next year and will be commuting with it a lot. Admittedly, obviously, I'm still a noob and am learning every time I jump on.. but definitely feel that I ironed out the basics of the basics on my 250.

If I did pick up the fz-09 I would be smart and cool headed. I would keep it in B mode for probably the whole season and understand how important controlling that throttle is. I feel like Im ready and smart enough to jump on an fz-09 but still would like to hear seasoned riders opinions. I feel I can grow with this bike over the next 3+ years. Can 1 season on a 250 be adequate enough to try something like the fz-09?

Also off-topic question. Lots of people call this bike a hooligan bike.. rightfully so. Would a non-hooligan be wasting their time on this bike? I have no intentions of hooligan riding.. mostly commuting, around town and hopefully finding some twisties eventually. The looks, power all over the place and price all attract me.. but don't plan on doing wheelies up and down the freeway or any other stunts. Aggressive riding, sure. But no stunts, etc.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Welcome to the forums. And you would have no problem riding this bike. Most people enter into the motorcycle world on a R6, CBR600, or something along those lines. This bike is far more tame than any sport 600 out there. If you keep your wits, and don't act like a squid you will be fine. Any idiot riding a moped will end up hurt, so it really does not matter what you ride. It's all about how you go about your riding. I started riding 3 years ago on a 2007 R1 of all things. No dirt bikes, nothing on 2 wheels except a BMW bike when I was younger. And liter bikes are COMPLETELY unforgiving. But regardless of what you ride your right hand is in control of your fate. And I really have no idea what the whole "hooligan bike" is or even means. I guess it's something someone started to make it seem more bad ass? Really have no clue on that. If you do get the FZ09 you will love it!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Welcome Imp. Get ready for a bunch of responses on both sides. I would suggest that you go back through the various posts, and you will find tons of comments on this subject. Most the "experienced" guys will probably steer you in another direction. Having said that, everyone's learning curve is a little different. You have put in some time on the small displacement bike to be sure, but there is a lot to learn.

I sum up my own experience as follows. I just didn't know what I didn't know. I thought I was dialed in, when in fact I was doing a lot of stuff flat ass wrong. Of course I got away with it riding a 400, and then a 750. The more powerful the platform, the less forgiving it becomes. There are some threads on the forum by guys who have either dropped, or outright wrecked their 09's. Some were new riders.

I am jumping back in to riding after taking about ten years off. Previous to that, I had ridden twenty-five years. Despite over two decades in the saddle, I have decided to get back in the sport with a slightly less powerful bike. I will give Yamaha a year or maybe two to iron out some kinks, and then I'll look at picking one up. Right now, I've got my fingers crossed that Yamaha brings the MT-07 to the states. Otherwise, I'll have to get another Honda for a short term ride.

Good luck with your choice whatever it may be.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I have always said that if you have self control you can ride whatever bike you want. But a lot of people have a hard time assessing themselves. The bike will only go as fast as you tell it. Honestly the FZ-09 is my first "standard" bike. But is has a much hp as an inline 600 super sport and gobs more torque, without weighing much more. I have always had super sports. But what will get you in trouble on this bike more than anything is the torque. That will break the back tire loose or lift the front wheel up in a moment if your not careful.

Bottom line is this is a bike that is fast as hell, but has a comfortable riding position. If that is what your looking for, and you honestly believe you can control your need for speed to the appropriate times, you will be fine.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Sounds like you know what you are going to do. You have a solid plan in place. As long as you can follow it, which is going to be hard as soon as you get a taste of the acceleration, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
From a Ninja 250 a 50hp to 70hp 2nd bike would make more sense, get a used twin and flog it for 10,000 miles or so, after your 250 it will feel like a rocket. Work on your cornering and braking etc. Take a track day/school, not one aimed at making you a racer, but good overall skills.

What makes a good first or 2nd bike is a statistical thing, there are individual newbies that do well on a 100+hp bike, but recommend that? No. Plus a mid HP bike can be a hell of a lot of fun, why skip that? And lower insurance etc.

Pick up a February issue of Motorcyclist, starting on pg 42 they have a list of Second-Hand Beginner Bikes. Kawasaki EX500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki SV650, etc. Even as an experienced rider the SV is a lot of fun, plenty fast enough for both street and track.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi imp88. Ill start by saying I'm 22 and new to riding as well with about 3 years street riding experience. Before i purchased my FZ-09 i was riding a ninja 250 for roughly a year. The ninja definetly made me a better rider, but it got old pretty fast. So, about a month ago i picked up the FZ and haven't looked back since. Going from the 250 to the FZ is definatly managable. This bike by all means can get you into loads of trouble IF you are not smart and careful. Like any bike you just have to get used to it and the modes... there is a time and place for each :) If you get a chance go take one for a test ride. You will be hooked!

·
Registered
176 Posts
if you like to tinker around

the Suzuki SV650 has MASSIVE aftermarket support

I'd get a set of Q3's and 1K worth of suspension parts (fork revalve plus penske shock ) if i would want to get on the FZ09 if i were you.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Get it, its worth it. Its a great bike for the price and theres room for improvement which gives you something to do in the off season. Its a new cult classic.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I wouldn't be hard set against the FZ-09 for you - but I would think a used 650 would have it's merits. Be sure to price your insurance before you buy. I've owned bikes that cost me more for a year of insurance than I paid for the bike - and in retrospect it wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hello all! I am heavily considering picking this bike up next spring but understand a lot of people dont recommend this bike to a beginner. I'm kind of confused where I stand. I'm 25 and I just started riding earlier in the year on a ninja 250.. and I put about 1000 miles on her. I took the msf course before prior to obtaining my license. My confidence on the 250 rose considerably and already feel the need for something more. I'm going to put a lot of miles on w.e bike I end up with next year and will be commuting with it a lot. Admittedly, obviously, I'm still a noob and am learning every time I jump on.. but definitely feel that I ironed out the basics of the basics on my 250.

If I did pick up the fz-09 I would be smart and cool headed. I would keep it in B mode for probably the whole season and understand how important controlling that throttle is. I feel like Im ready and smart enough to jump on an fz-09 but still would like to hear seasoned riders opinions. I feel I can grow with this bike over the next 3+ years. Can 1 season on a 250 be adequate enough to try something like the fz-09?

MSF course and ninja 250....my exact story. I traded in a ninja 250 after only a few weeks for a red FZ-09. GREAT bike! Start with B, move to standard when you feel like it. Before the ninja, I had no motorcycle experience, dirt, street or otherwise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys, greatly appreciate it! I agree with almost all of you guys.. which is why this decision is so hard :mad: I'm so torn as to what to do! The fz-09, ninja 650, sv650. I know I can still benefit so much from getting on a 650 next and really enjoy it a lot. But then there is the allure of this awesomely priced machine! Thanks again for the replies and I'll be using all of them in my decision making process.. ever so hard that it's gonna be.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
FZ09 is a great ride. It's all about throttle and self control... I have one sort out but struggling with the other big time! LOL

·
Registered
601 Posts
Can 1 season on a 250 be adequate enough to try something like the fz-09?
I think so, especially if you have taken a professional approach with reading and training and commuting daily with a lot of miles.

I always recommend inexpensive, light, agile bikes with lower horsepower like the Suzuki GS500 to start.

But people wanting a BIG FIRST bike never listen, so I wonder why they ever ask for advice in the first place. They get the big bike, total it, ratchet up our insurance rates, then rationalize their decision, claiming they would have crashed even with a smaller bike. :rolleyes:

Starting with the 250 was a really good idea that allowed you to have fun building your skills on an easier to manage platform. If you've gotten really confident on the 250, I think you're ready to move to a bigger bike. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i'd disagree about the 09 being tamer than a 600 supersport. the 09 makes about the same peak power but a lot more torque a lot sooner, whereas you have to rev the snot out of a 600 to really start getting in trouble. a little bit of throttle goes a long way on this bike.

also, i think the first two guys here to crash their 09's were newish riders.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
In the end there is no right answer...its all about mitigating risk, and doing what works best for you. Just be prepared for a whole new mc experience...maybe try and do drills in a parking lot where you can safely explore the range of the bikes performance and handling. I suspect that once you eventually lift the front wheel you will revise your position on 'stunting'. Good luck with it OP...what color are you thinking about?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think so, especially if you have taken a professional approach with reading and training and commuting daily with a lot of miles.

I always recommend inexpensive, light, agile bikes with lower horsepower like the Suzuki GS500 to start.

But people wanting a BIG FIRST bike never listen, so I wonder why they ever ask for advice in the first place. They get the big bike, total it, ratchet up our insurance rates, then rationalize their decision, claiming they would have crashed even with a smaller bike. :rolleyes:

Starting with the 250 was a really good idea that allowed you to have fun building your skills on an easier to manage platform. If you've gotten really confident on the 250, I think you're ready to move to a bigger bike. Good luck!
Yea.. I wanted to do everything the right and safe way so I bought the 250 to build my skills and confidence. I definitely recommend this to any new rider for the reasons I just said .. and also if its your first bike.. you will have a blast with the 250 anyway.

In the end there is no right answer...its all about mitigating risk, and doing what works best for you. Just be prepared for a whole new mc experience...maybe try and do drills in a parking lot where you can safely explore the range of the bikes performance and handling. I suspect that once you eventually lift the front wheel you will revise your position on 'stunting'. Good luck with it OP...what color are you thinking about?
If I go with this bike, I'll definitely be in the parking lot a bunch. I want to completely master as many skills as possible in my MC career. I'm digging the graphite one the most! :D

Also, I have yet to buy any books but I want to. Ive come across a few reading around but ofcourse I dont note them.. you guys have any recommendations for books to buy? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Twist of the wrist II
I'll second that, it's well worth reading. Keith Code is the author.

I think you'll be okay stepping up to the FZ-09. The throttle only opens up as much as you twist your wrist... As long as you're responsible, you'll be alright. The light weight, good brakes and neutral, upright seating position are all beneficial for a new rider in my opinion

1 - 20 of 42 Posts