Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been off bikes since 2008, but my last bike was a very modified GSXR 1000 that had almost everything done. As far as a rider I would say I am slightly above average but I love corners. That was the only reason I rode. I'm seriously considering getting an 09 but I have two concerns. I rode my 1000 very hard, it's whole life was spent on BT002 and Dunlop Sportmax and I pushed them as hard as possible on the street. I understand the 09 is in a different realm but will I be able to chunk this bike around hard enough to amuse/scare me? I love everything about the bike when looking at it in the showroom but three things IMO will need direct attention. Suspension, exhaust/power, and rear sets. Will drop in units be made for the forks or can forks from another model be swapped, same question with the rear shock. For those that have your bike already what do you think about it so far and how many miles have you logged? Also do you think the aftermarket will embrace this platform, and how easy will removing weight be? Excuse the barrage of questions but I have a lot to ask and after reading and thinking all weekend am itching to pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Stoltec Moto, a vendor on here is working on the suspension bits. There's already a Penske shock being worked on to fit, and the forks will have lots of options as well. That area will be well covered.

Good luck removing weight though, you can shed some from the exhaust but it won't be easy after that... You won't feel the need to though. Seriously, we all LOVE this bike... What are you waiting for? ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Exactly... No need to shed any weight with this bike. It's so quick at times it almost feels too light. Suspension ,exhaust and maybe a lil more top end is about all i can ask for. And in case u havent heard.. This thing is a beast.. If you're not careful, it'll throw YOU around

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I ride it to work every day and I have a smile on my face the whole time. It's unbelievably fast...and windy. It is a lot of fun on the corners, it leans in so quick and easily and becomes a part of you immediately. It's not a high speed bike because of the lack of any wind protection, but you will get up to speed so fast that the pull from the wind will be all that even hints at your speed. Suspension definitely needs some work, and the throttle complaints are silly because thats what b mode is for. Pull the trigger and you will never regret it.

-z

·
Registered
364 Posts
I shed some wet weight .... I lost ten pounds. Its the least expensive way to reduce the wet weight.

Reactions: Mothy and Itaride

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sounds like you need a track bike - why buy something that is not a track bike and try to make it into one?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If you are serious about carving corners, the FZ isn't exactly the ideal machine. With suspension upgrades and maybe a steering damper, it should do ok thou. In its stock form it is truly a wild beast, but with its agility and amazing midrange power, it is SO much fun to ride... how can you not want one! :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
What an FZ-09 ain't. It ain't a GSXR 1000R, S1000RR, 1199 Panigale R & it don't pretend to be. What it is, is a very good Standard with a fantastic motor that was built to a price point. If your looking for a $30K WSBK replica this ain't it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
well just got my new FZ09 Red yesterday and went for a 50 km run today sunny and 12 degrees C..man these things work wicked first two gears need to be short shifted anything above 6000 rpm and the front wheel comes up and i weight 240..didn't go above 7 or 8 grand on rpm till i get some more miles on her but she pulls something fierce its a lot of motor for a small bike rides like a suppermotard and has gobbs of power and torque way more comfortable than a full sport bike she demands respect and is not for a novice or new rider.. my 2 cents

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Life and health got in the way which is why I got out of bikes. The reason I'm looking at a FI 09 is because it might be easier for me to ride seeing as how I have back issues

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It's faster than a liter bike in sub 100 mph speeds I think...and as very flickable. More comfy than my old sportbike. It's just a fun ride, if you want a fun bike, fz09 is it

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've started noticing more brake dive on the front, but I'm not pushing he bike much yet. I may pull in a bit more preload. I'll look at fork oil if I need to in the spring.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts