Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I currently have a BMW K1600GT for long rides and two up riding. I picked up a used Harley XR1200 this past fall after being smitten by it since it's introduction.

I was pretty content with the XR until the FZ9 came out. I have long admired the Triumph triples, and wanted one, but have been put off by the cost. Enter the FZ9, and now I am really close to trading the XR in.

The XR is neat, but it is 577lbs, relatively slow, and becoming a bit of a collector's bike, so I almost hate adding to the 7,900 miles it has on it.

Sure is hard choosing a color;) One day...liquid graphite...the next day red...

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Welcome to the forum as others have said....just do it. The FZ09 is a rocket ship compared to the XR1200 and will be a total hoot to ride. The hardest part about the decision is going to be which color to choose. I got the Rapid Red back in October, before the Orange was available. I really like the Orange one too. You can't go wrong with any of them.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
The Orange model has a little more HP, and a secret hidden boost button that the other guys don't know about yet. Shh, don't tell anyone.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The K16 is no slouch.
I doubt v2 meant it was a slouch, but it's not gonna be as quick as the 09. BMW is a sniper rifle, and the 09 is a sawed off...they both accomplish speed but the 09 has a direct in your face way of doing it.

That k16 is a pretty posh bike, it's amazing to me that you would ride a replica of an old v twin racing bike, and talk about price when referring to the triumphs. Triumphs are cheap when compared to the Beamer badge.

Now to echo everybody else, ditch the old school and get yourself the perfect bike for fun and excitement, the one, the only, the Fox Zulu oh Niner!

·
Registered
671 Posts
The K16 is no slouch.
No, it is not. I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I ride an FJR1300. And I like to ride long distances. This summer I'm taking the FJR to California and back via Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and Nevada. But taking it down to the local Quickee-Mart for a gallon of milk is like firing up a sawmill to cut a 2x4. The FZ-09 is a great short distance ride. Easy to maneuver, fun to ride, great performance. But I wouldn't want to take one on more than an two hour ride. It's a sprinter.

·
Registered
315 Posts
No, it is not. I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I ride an FJR1300. And I like to ride long distances. This summer I'm taking the FJR to California and back via Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and Nevada. But taking it down to the local Quickee-Mart for a gallon of milk is like firing up a sawmill to cut a 2x4. The FZ-09 is a great short distance ride. Easy to maneuver, fun to ride, great performance. But I wouldn't want to take one on more than an two hour ride. It's a sprinter.
Are you sure? How many miles have you put on your FZ 09 so far?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Are you sure? How many miles have you put on your FZ 09 so far?
Seriously?

The FZ doesn't have the wind protection, the storage, the cruise control, the heated grips, the electronically adjustable windshield, the ABS, the electrical capacity for heated clothing, legroom, and the carrying capacity to be a serious distance bike. It's a different animal all together.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Seriously?

The FZ doesn't have the wind protection, the storage, the cruise control, the heated grips, the electronically adjustable windshield, the ABS, the electrical capacity for heated clothing, legroom, and the carrying capacity to be a serious distance bike. It's a different animal all together.
A lot of people do cross country tours on their merely basic motorcycles. All the goodies you listed above are nice to have, but not essential. I think the biggest issue of FZ is its tiny tank capacity.

·
Registered
671 Posts
A lot of people do cross country tours on their merely basic motorcycles. All the goodies you listed above are nice to have, but not essential. I think the biggest issue of FZ is its tiny tank capacity.
In 1972 I took a BSA Victor 441 I built from a box of parts to California and back. I don't think I would do that again. There are some who would pedal a Trek bicycle across the country too.

I've been there and done it. Now I prefer a nice Sport Touring machine when going distances. This excludes Harley's and Gold Wings. Those are not my speed either.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
In 1972 I took a BSA Victor 441 I built from a box of parts to California and back. I don't think I would do that again. There are some who would pedal a Trek bicycle across the country too.

I've been there and done it. Now I prefer a nice Sport Touring machine when going distances. This excludes Harley's and Gold Wings. Those are not my speed either.
I would definitely prefer a more purpose built machine for touring, but I have spent a day and 300 miles on the FZ and I find it very comfortable. I am also 25 ( although with a bad back...thanks navy) and I have a new seat and an upgraded suspension.

I see your point and agree...I just wouldn't rule out the 09 as a less than two hour bike.

Reactions: RichBaker and beck

·
Registered
315 Posts
I would definitely prefer a more purpose built machine for touring, but I have spent a day and 300 miles on the FZ and I find it very comfortable. I am also 25 ( although with a bad back...thanks navy) and I have a new seat and an upgraded suspension.

I see your point and agree...I just wouldn't rule out the 09 as a less than two hour bike.
Same here, what's the big deal, about filling up and continuing on? If I only intended to ride my FZ 09 ( or any bike) , no more than 2 hours at a time, I would not have bought it.

A larger tank would be great, but if in touring mode, or trying to get good gas mileage, 48-50 is do-able.
With the "punched" gas tank mod, I have gone 144 miles, and still had almost a full gallon in the tank, until bone dry.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Seriously?

That's an interesting response..........you did not answer my question, just started in, on telling us what the FZ 09 does not have.

We know that you just got your FZ 09, and have no miles on it, due to the weather, but why start listing all the typical touring items, that many FZ 09 owners could care less about? Not having all those "features" does not restrict anyone, from hopping on Their FZ 09, and riding until the gas tank is empty, several times in a row, does it?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Same here, what's the big deal, about filling up and continuing on? If I only intended to ride my FZ 09 ( or any bike) , no more than 2 hours at a time, I would not have bought it.

A larger tank would be great, but if in touring mode, or trying to get good gas mileage, 48-50 is do-able.
With the "punched" gas tank mod, I have gone 144 miles, and still had almost a full gallon in the tank, until bone dry.
That's impressive range on this bike! I can barely manage 120 without getting nervous. But I've only gotten it down to reserve once... I tend to fill up when I get a chance. The roads I go on for long rides I have to plan when I get gas.

The longer the ride the more I enjoy this bike. If it's short I'm always disappointed and it's always prior engagements that force me to turn for home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
957 Posts
If you owned both your K1600GT and the FZ09 the only thing the K1600GT would see use for ever is long highway trips. For everything else you'd probably take the FZ09.

·
Registered
671 Posts
That's an interesting response..........you did not answer my question, just started in, on telling us what the FZ 09 does not have.

We know that you just got your FZ 09, and have no miles on it, due to the weather, but why start listing all the typical touring items, that many FZ 09 owners could care less about? Not having all those "features" does not restrict anyone, from hopping on Their FZ 09, and riding until the gas tank is empty, several times in a row, does it?
You can ride the FZ-09 as far as you want to go. But try to understand the difference. This summer I'm riding out to visit my daughter and her family in San Francisco. On the way I am camping/hiking at Natural Bridges National Monument, Escalante Staircase National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, Cedar Breaks National Monument and Big Sur on California Hwy . I am packing a tent, sleeping bag, cot, folding chair, camera tripod, backpacking stove, food, clothes, hiking gear, camera, etc. on my FJR. No problem.

It would be damn hard to do this on a FZ. Jes' sayin'

1 - 20 of 32 Posts