Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I am considering buying a FZ-09 and it will be my first street bike. I grew up on dirt bikes, then switched to ATVs, and now have a RZR-S as my play toy. I am considering selling or trading the RZR in for a FZ-09 or similar bike. I am a 23 year old male and yes some of you may feel that this will be a bit too much as a starter bike, and it may be a handful to begin with but I consider myself responsible and know I would take it easy to begin with.

My biggest concern on starting out with something else (smaller/less power) is that I would get bored too quick. For example, a couple years ago a good friend of mine bought a 750 honda shadow (nothing like a FZ I know) and I put probably 30 or so miles on it but honestly I was not impressed in the least and honestly felt like it was a total dog if one wanted to get on it.

Would I be majorly disappointed with something like a ER-6n? Can good FZ8s be found used for 5k? I don't really want to spend 8k on a bike, but I love the looks of the FZ-09 and think it would be considerably more comfortable over a super sport type bike.

As for insurance does anyone have a guesstimate as to what it could run? (possibly just liability unless the difference is insignificant. Like I said, I am 23... I have never been in a accident, I did get one speeding ticked 5 years ago, nothing since.

Driving conditions would consist of 90% country driving. I live 15 mi from where I commute to nearly daily spring, summer, and fall every morning for work. I am a farmer and I can see myself riding the bike 50-60% of the time down to "work" with occasional rides for fun.

Any advice/answers would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
224 Posts
if its mainly country driving then this might be great for you.

personally i could never use this a "fun toy" because of how comfortable and upright i am. i just dont feel the need for speed on this bike.
i am going to use this bike as more of a sport touring.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
In my opinion look at a suzuki sv650 instead.

Less torque and hp but a lot of fun and not something you'll get bored with soon. You can also find one for well under 5k and insurance for comprehensive only can be very cheap (i paid 100 bucks a year)

Many will argue that even an SV is too much for a first bike. It really depends, I raced mtn bikes for years but never road anything with a motor and chose an Sv as my first bike. Given you already have some experience you're probably ahead of where I was. The first 2 weeks were horrifying, the bike was just damn fast but it didn't take long to get used to it and I took baby steps to ensure I didn't dump it (ie I started with riding in a neighborhood progressed to riding a small loop of streets then to longer rides - it was a month before I even thought about going 45mph + on it even though i wanted to on day 3 of owning it)

I'm glad I chose that over a 250 or cruiser.

The FZ is like an SV on steroids, given its 7k, it's a high risk for a noob. You will need full insurance id you're financing. There is a thread here if you search that discusses prices in detail but it's highly variable and hard to guesstimate.

Either way, if you haven't already take the msf course, it's a great first step.

Always remember with any bike the power is all controlled by your wrist. How fast you want to go is on you, not the bike.

Good luck with whatever you get, either bike has great communities of riders, I preferred the used SV to tinker so now I'm more confident on doing things like changing the oil on my fz etc.

Ride safe.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Insurance agents consider this a sport bike. They did not go for my argument that it should be a standard.
You have an advantage coming with a dirt bike background.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Insurance agents consider this a sport bike. They did not go for my argument that it should be a standard.
You have an advantage coming with a dirt bike background.
Depends on your insurance, progressive goes by CC & usage (i.e. Commuting vs rec) not bike type.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I owned a RZR800S for a year, and I never could get used to it. Dirt bikes are much more fun.

Insurance is not cheap, but every state is different. GEICO tried to knock my head off, so I took all of my policies to Allstate.

The FZ09 will stomp all over an FZ8. Would I want a discontinued bike, no, as they are not very desirable on the used market. In fact, the FZ8 was not very desirable on the new market.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What's a RZR-S?
If you have enough experience on dirt bikes to have throttle control this bike is great. If you are new new then I'd say even bikes like a R1 or S1000rr is a better starting bike (liter bikes are horrible starting bikes). Weight, comfort, ride position, most fun...bla bla bla is all good but I IMHO think the 09 is one of the easiest bikes to flip over.
I can picture the front coming up unexpectedly or the bike jerking forward harder than expected, the new rider slides back a bit, grabs the grips, bike thrust forward more or front come up....youtube or jackass moment.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I started riding dirt as a kid and moved on to streetbikes too back in the late 80's, first streetbike was a Ninja 600R (old inline 4 before ZX6 series) and I never had any problems with the power. It is a matter of respect and controlling yourself while riding, any motorcycle is dangerous but if you take your time there is no reason why you can't start on a bigger bike. Hell I took my NJ road test on the Ninja, DMV guy said there was no way I was passing since it is all slow speed and the bike was hard to handle in confined spaces - passed with flying colors.

You need to be honest with yourself about your current skills on a motorcycle and just take it is easy no matter what bike you decide to start on.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
You need to be honest with yourself about your current skills on a motorcycle and just take it is easy no matter what bike you decide to start on.
What mknj highlights here is the bottom line.

Check your ego and make a smart decision, making the right one can be a matter of you staying alive for awhile or killing yourself early.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What mknj highlights here is the bottom line.

Check your ego and make a smart decision, making the right one can be a matter of you staying alive for awhile or killing yourself early.
I understand the concern here, but I don't feel I would have any problem being careful. I started riding dirt on a PW50 at age 4. It has been a few years since I have ridden bikes minus a few times I have driven my buddys shadow, but all the principals are still there. Riding on the street (or in town) will be what is new to me.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I understand the concern here, but I don't feel I would have any problem being careful. I started riding dirt on a PW50 at age 4. It has been a few years since I have ridden bikes minus a few times I have driven my buddys shadow, but all the principals are still there. Riding on the street (or in town) will be what is new to me.
To this point and to be completely honest, i bought an SV650 thinking it would be something i'd own for more than a year vs. a 250 or 300 and i ended up selling it after a year to get the FZ because i wanted something with more power and modern specs.

You have more experience than i did, obviously everyone is different but if you feel you're ready then go for it and maybe stay in B mode for awhile until you get used to the bike.

Riding on the dirt and riding on the street are completely different - not to state the obvious but there are no idiot drivers on cellphones on the dirt or gravel in places you weren't expecting gravel to be - depending on how populated of an area you live in (seems like maybe not so much where you are) scanning for external factors that are trying to make you crash is a huge part of riding.

Combining this with a powerful bike is both scary and dangerous. Having a bike with slightly less power reduces at least one of those risk factors and helps you concentrate on mastering the riding on the street part more and the dangers that come with that.

Again just my 2 cents and i'll shut up now :) , i live in NJ the land of over population and idiot drivers, so your experience may vary but just my thoughts.

·
Registered
224 Posts
To this point and to be completely honest, i bought an SV650 thinking it would be something i'd own for more than a year vs. a 250 or 300 and i ended up selling it after a year to get the FZ because i wanted something with more power and modern specs.

You have more experience than i did, obviously everyone is different but if you feel you're ready then go for it and maybe stay in B mode for awhile until you get used to the bike.

Riding on the dirt and riding on the street are completely different - not to state the obvious but there are no idiot drivers on cellphones on the dirt or gravel in places you weren't expecting gravel to be - depending on how populated of an area you live in (seems like maybe not so much where you are) scanning for external factors that are trying to make you crash is a huge part of riding.

Combining this with a powerful bike is both scary and dangerous. Having a bike with slightly less
power reduces at least one of those risk factors and helps you concentrate on mastering the riding on the street part more and the dangers that come with that.

Again just my 2 cents and i'll shut up now :) , i live in NJ the land of over population and idiot drivers, so your experience may vary but just my thoughts.
Same here. Came from an sv.650 after a year.
The sv650 is much more fun though. Freaking loved that thing. clip on handlebars make a huge difference to some though.
But yeah i would get a new sv650 if i could. Not those new lame gladius or 650s though..
Also would pick a new sv over the fz09 anyday of the week.
Still love the fz though.

·
Registered
570 Posts
They still sell the SV650S (not the naked version, the sportier one with clip-ons, half-fairing) in the UK, and at a great price too. It's shame they don't still offer it here...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Buy in and insurance will be much cheaper on a used bike. There best way to find out what insurance will cost you is to call a multi-carrier insurance agent near you and get a quote. Another thing to remember is that a tip over on a dirt bike means nothing (well maybe a bent foot beg and some hurt pride) but on a street bike it might be totaled. I definitely do not recommend an FZ-09 as a first street bike. Get an sv650, ex650r, or versys. All 3 of these will be cheaper and should have plenty of power to make you grin ear to ear. It's good that you have dirt bike riding experience, it will help you a lot on the road but one big difference, when the rear breaks lose in the dirt you just keep on the throttle, spin, and go; on the street you have to have way more finesse, stay on the power to much and the tire will grab and high side you or slide out completely and low side your ass and chopping the throttle can be just as bad. The FZ-09 is not the bike to learn these things on.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
What's a RZR-S?
If you have enough experience on dirt bikes to have throttle control this bike is great. If you are new new then I'd say even bikes like a R1 or S1000rr is a better starting bike (liter bikes are horrible starting bikes). Weight, comfort, ride position, most fun...bla bla bla is all good but I IMHO think the 09 is one of the easiest bikes to flip over.
I can picture the front coming up unexpectedly or the bike jerking forward harder than expected, the new rider slides back a bit, grabs the grips, bike thrust forward more or front come up....youtube or jackass moment.
Good story bro...

If you have ridden a lot on dirt bikes...then this bike isn't an issue. Its exactly like sitting on a dirt bike IMO with a lot more power. But because of gearing and weight differences it not a huge change, you just have a ton of horsepower compared to dirt bikes. I wouldn't be concerned if i were you. Get it. It will give you a permanent grin!.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well thanks for the input everyone. I will call my insurance agent sometime this week. I sure wish Yamaha would bring the MT-07 to the states! It looks better (IMO) than the FZ-09 and I would think with a exhaust, tuner, and a few other mods it could start to get pretty close to the performance of one!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts