Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I would look around the RAM website, I doubt Garmin will have anything that will work with that device and mount since it was designed for car use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
1406329080992.jpg I already spent the $40 for the oem mount.... I'm looking at a Velcro solution for now I think and maybe a battery tender with usb to charge it... That make sense ? I'd like it to work like it did in my car .... Turn on with power and shutoff with power

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Don't think a battery tender charger can be used as a 12 power source but you can try.

Battery tender is a smart battery charger that turns on and charges, then turns off and test to see if additional charging is necessary. Don't see that working very well as a 12 power supply but it might work. Then again, it might not and it might get fried or fry your USB charger.

If you want to hardwire it to the bike so it stays hooked up to the bike, buy a USB adapter connected to a switched DC source on your bike. Lots of folks use the taillight circuit to turn on and off a relay that connects to the usb positive to the battery positive only when the taillight is on.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
When you say Battery Tender, are you referring to the type of connector the Tender uses (SAE)?

I think the best solution would be to hook up a USB port to the Accessory outlet/connector that Yamaha already provided behind the right side fake air scoop. There are how-to's about this around here somewhere I think.

I don't know how much I would trust Velcro to secure the GPS unit though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lucky that is exactly what ibwas referring to!! And the Velcro is just till I get the proper mount for the nuvi

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
One thing that I will mention is that a Battery Tender pigtail has an in-line fuse that is a fairly high Amp, if I recall correctly (7.5 or 10 Amp maybe).

My Garmin Zumo power cable has an in-line fuse of 2A... and I would imagine that your Nuvi would require the same.

If you power the Nuvi via the Battery Tender pigtail and something happens, your Nuvi will fry before a fuse is blown.

Also, If you run the power through the Battery Tender pigtail, the line is always hot/on.

However, if you utilize the accessory connector, you can place whatever size fuse you want in the fuse box, and the line will will have power only when the bike is on.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Did you ever find the proper nuvi mount? I want to get the oem mount but cant find that nuvi mount anywhere. Dont know if I trust velcro.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I am about to purchase the OEM mount but before I do, I just wanna see what the mount looks like without the gps on there. Can anyone who has the OEM gps mount post up a picture?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts