Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

Short time reader first time poster (technically 2nd post). I picked up an FZ as a second bike and thought I would start searching the forums for all things needed. I just wanted to post a few of my initial thoughts of this bike to weigh in with some other posts and maybe sway another rider this way. First off I would say that I have historically rode and still ride sport bikes on the street. By that I am talking full fairing, clip-on, in-line 4 Japanese manufactured. I have raced motocross, road course, the 1320 and blazed through the mountains on two wheels for the better part of the last 20 years on the big 4 finest steeds. However most of my time off the street is spent working on chicken strips at the local drag strip.

I thought the FZ looked different and fun and I think I am now addicted or should I say devoted. It feels like a motocross bike on steroids. Upright position with plenty of torque and is just plain fun to ride. Don't get me wrong my other street bike is tuned and has way more Hp but the FZ is just a blast to ride. I enjoy riding anything on two wheels and find it relaxing to just get out in the wind on about anything. But the FZ is just plain fun to ride (did I say that already). A few observations:

1. High beam is weak but low beam seemed fine to me at night
2. Wind is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be for a naked bike
3. Love the torque pulling smooth from about any rpm in any gear
4. I see some complaints on throttle response but it it feels better than a pipped/ tuned 4 to me
5. Upright seating is not bad... not bad at all.. maybe change my life forever with this style
6. It sounds great and can't wait to hear one in person with an aftermarket exhaust
7. Tank is a little smaller but with the mpg its the seems to be the same as other bikes so far
8. It's so light and you can just move it around so easy.. it's great
9. Did I mention its fun to ride.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Totally fun bike!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Welcome aboard the big smile hiway where you can ride all day... and you don't have to strip down your chicken!

You forgot to mention how much fun it is to wheelie.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Your last point to me is the most important. It took me about 200 miles to get used to the seating position, I came from a much more standard bike with the foot pegs about 6" further forward. But once I made that adjustment, its been 100% smiles for miles. Just over 1k miles in 3 weeks actually. I'm sure that my mileage will tail off a bit but man, I really like both buzzing around town and bombing along the super slab on this bike. Couldn't do the second on the TU 250 very well. This bike just seems to be so damn versatile.

Here's hoping that the riding weather keeps on showing up now that we're above 50F consistently here in SE Wisconsin!

JW

Hello everyone.

Short time reader first time poster (technically 2nd post). I picked up an FZ as a second bike and thought I would start searching the forums for all things needed. I just wanted to post a few of my initial thoughts of this bike to weigh in with some other posts and maybe sway another rider this way. First off I would say that I have historically rode and still ride sport bikes on the street. By that I am talking full fairing, clip-on, in-line 4 Japanese manufactured. I have raced motocross, road course, the 1320 and blazed through the mountains on two wheels for the better part of the last 20 years on the big 4 finest steeds. However most of my time off the street is spent working on chicken strips at the local drag strip.

I thought the FZ looked different and fun and I think I am now addicted or should I say devoted. It feels like a motocross bike on steroids. Upright position with plenty of torque and is just plain fun to ride. Don't get me wrong my other street bike is tuned and has way more Hp but the FZ is just a blast to ride. I enjoy riding anything on two wheels and find it relaxing to just get out in the wind on about anything. But the FZ is just plain fun to ride (did I say that already). A few observations:

1. High beam is weak but low beam seemed fine to me at night
2. Wind is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be for a naked bike
3. Love the torque pulling smooth from about any rpm in any gear
4. I see some complaints on throttle response but it it feels better than a pipped/ tuned 4 to me
5. Upright seating is not bad... not bad at all.. maybe change my life forever with this style
6. It sounds great and can't wait to hear one in person with an aftermarket exhaust
7. Tank is a little smaller but with the mpg its the seems to be the same as other bikes so far
8. It's so light and you can just move it around so easy.. it's great
9. Did I mention its fun to ride.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was riding last night and just noticed same thing about high beam. It was better to ride on low beam !
All together a lot of fun on this bike.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I was riding last night and just noticed same thing about high beam. It was better to ride on low beam !
All together a lot of fun on this bike.
Yeah, the high beam is great for cornering, buts sucks on a straight road. I tend to use the low beam most of the time and flick the high beam on when some twisties come up.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not checked from the front yet but it appears that when the high beam is on the low beam is not. if the two were combined it would be great. Would love to see LED comparo.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I played with the height adjustment on mine to bring the high beam down. I think the high and low are further apart than what I would prefer - but I was able to find a spot where high beam works well - but I have to switch to low beam if any cars are around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts