Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was one of the lucky two who managed to snag the half-off flash when Dave posted it, and I sent it off the very next day. I sent my ECU off Saturday, August 30 (the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, no less!) USPS Priority Mail. He shipped it back out to me Wednesday, September 3, and it was delivered to my home in Pittsburgh, PA, the very next day (today).

I had the bike back together in less than 10 minutes, and took it out for a 20 minute ride (it IS the middle of Rush Hour and I do live in the city). I'm taking tomorrow off work to do a more extensive test ride, but here are my initial impressions:

B mode is more or less the same as it always has been, although its traits seem to be perhaps a bit more exaggerated. Power delivery comes on very slowly but predictably. It could all just be placebo effect, but if anything, B mode feels even LESS sporty than with the stock map. This is a good thing if you use B mode for its intended purpose (adverse weather conditions and high traffic city riding).

The jumpy/jerky trait of STD and A modes is basically gone. I can still detect a bit of it at low RPM in A mode, but it's hardly noticeable. in STD mode it's gone completely.

STD and A modes are both intended for aggressive riding, just two different kinds. in STD mode it's very precise and does exactly what you ask of it, nothing more. I can see this as being the mode you would want if you were doing a track day or riding down a very technical set of twisties. A mode is more straight up hooligan mode. The higher the engine revs, the more quickly it seems to build linear, in-your-face power. Those of you who have had the rear shock upgraded will note that the bike has more or less lost its ability to consistently and easily power it up in 2nd and 3rd gears. I am sporting a Penske 8983 and That was one of the first things I noticed. Well, with the "new" A mode, that tendency is BAAAAAACK and in full force. I'd almost forgotten about having to hold back on those 2nd gear WOTs to keep that front end down since I got the shock installed, so this was a surprise--a very fun one! So the modes now go like this:

B = Poor conditions

STD = Sport/track mode

A = Hooligan mode

With the Sonic Springs, the Penske 8983, and the vcyclenut flash, the bike's 3 major downfalls have all been addressed. This is the trifecta, the holy trinity if you will, of mods that are needed to turn the FZ into the bike Yamaha could have built if they didn't burn through the entire R&D budget on the engine itself.

Jump on this flash, folks, and even at full price, it's a steal compared to everyone else out there! You won't regret it!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
What specifications did you request for each mode ie smooth, fast open, stock, etc.?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the biggest thing is that the bike loses a bit of its hooligan-esque behavior for more of a true sporting pedigree when you finally get around to addressing the bike's suspension woes. It's great but some people might miss it. With this flash, I have the original hooligan back, and for the more sporting pedigree, I have standard.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I guess maybe i am a lame brain but many of the options in your drop down boxes need to LOT more explanation. I have no idea what to pick and in some cases don't even know what the heck it is. It's like filling out an income tax form, hehe! I hope that you could change it to have practically each option on a separate page with a lengthy explanation included with a "continue" button to go to the next option.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I want to send mine now but living in canada it takes so long to get it back. I'll send it over the winter. Can't wait !! Thanks for your in put.

·
Vendor
1,568 Posts
I guess maybe i am a lame brain but many of the options in your drop down boxes need to LOT more explanation. I have no idea what to pick and in some cases don't even know what the heck it is. It's like filling out an income tax form, hehe! I hope that you could change it to have practically each option on a separate page with a lengthy explanation included with a "continue" button to go to the next option.

check the different sections of the what is ecu flashing page. I think I did a decent job of explaining it. If you feel it still needs work let me know. You could also always use the flash with note option and just tell me what you want in a note form.

What is ECU flashing - FLASHED BY VCYCLENUT

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The new A mode is silly--in a fun way. The way the power comes on quickly in an almost exponential manner, it has no real practical application in true sport riding. It's purely for silliness and hooligan antics. Very much enjoying it.

·
Vendor
1,568 Posts
The new A mode is silly--in a fun way. The way the power comes on quickly in an almost exponential manner, it has no real practical application in true sport riding. It's purely for silliness and hooligan antics. Very much enjoying it.
I seriously sometimes catch myself giggling in my helmet with a mode. It makes a fun bike just that much more fun I agree I would not want to use it for aggressive cornering. If you happen to roll the throttle enough to get to the aggressive part of the throttle I can see that with a bad potential ending.

std mode was made for this exact reason. Carrying max corner speed

·
Registered
213 Posts
I seriously sometimes catch myself giggling in my helmet with a mode. It makes a fun bike just that much more fun I agree I would not want to use it for aggressive cornering. If you happen to roll the throttle enough to get to the aggressive part of the throttle I can see that with a bad potential ending.

std mode was made for this exact reason. Carrying max corner speed
So if both std and A mode were selected as "smooth", would there be a noticeable difference between the two?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts