Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive really been shopping before i buy, and im pretty set on the Fz09, but to be honest im looking at a couple of other possibilities so im basically asking for input ... im wanting a bike that suits my situation best. i live rural in florida and alot of straight pavement with minimal redlights and longer distances to reach neighboring towns so its a 10-20 mile stretch to go anywhere even close and jumping on the interstate for a few to get to major places so a typical day can involve alot of cruising in high gear, but i want a sportier bike, the engineering level on a typical cruiser doesnt do it for me and a touring type rig i just dont need, im not a drive to alaska type guy ... so anyway, i know asking in an fz09 forum may not be the proper place, but how do you think a z1000 stacks up to the fz09, pluses/minuses, any input you can give, im so undecided other than the fz09 with its minimalist look and price is very appealing to me ...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
ive really been shopping before i buy, and im pretty set on the Fz09, but to be honest im looking at a couple of other possibilities so im basically asking for input ... im wanting a bike that suits my situation best. i live rural in florida and alot of straight pavement with minimal redlights and longer distances to reach neighboring towns so its a 10-20 mile stretch to go anywhere even close and jumping on the interstate for a few to get to major places so a typical day can involve alot of cruising in high gear, but i want a sportier bike, the engineering level on a typical cruiser doesnt do it for me and a touring type rig i just dont need, im not a drive to alaska type guy ... so anyway, i know asking in an fz09 forum may not be the proper place, but how do you think a z1000 stacks up to the fz09, pluses/minuses, any input you can give, im so undecided other than the fz09 with its minimalist look and price is very appealing to me ...
I will say that the naked FZ kind of sucks for highways...I'll be getting a small windscreen, hopefully that makes a difference. That being said, the FZ is an absolute hoot, and is insanely fun. Never rode the z1000, so I can't comment

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Both really nice bike. The FZ-09 is fast, the Z1K is stupid fast! Side by side the Z is a better bike, but bang for the $$$ the 09 beat them all IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
For that much highway I would consider a Vstrom 1000. Comfy as hell and good views. Also not too bad in the twisties. Those adventure bikes are getting popular for a reason.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I agree with Luke. 09 excels at 0-75, although I have had it up to 125, wind is trying to tear you off the bike at high speed and my vfr was far more comfortable at long- distance cruising. Z-1000 will be much the same only heavier and more expensive. But it comes in green.

·
Registered
570 Posts
For me, more horsepower is important some of the time, but not always. But more weight is always a bummer (well, maybe not in 70 mph crosswinds). So the lighter weight of the FZ trumps any advantages the Kwak offers. My .02

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ignoring that I don't like the styling of the current z1000 - in a comparison I would say it is the big brother to the FZ-09, Length, rake, trail - are similar - but the z1000 makes more power. Is cost a factor to you? The z1000 costs more to buy, insure, run, and maintain. The FZ-09 isn't the best bike for 2 up riding - but the passenger seat is really high and in the wind on the Z1000 - so passengers would probably prefer the FZ-09.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'm a big fan of the z10000 but for 4 grand more you get an extra cylinder 200ccs about 60lbs heavier about 40 more horses and about 30 less ft lbs. IMO it's a better looking bike too. It probably has a better suspension and nicer brakes. Having said that... You can do a lot to the FZ for about 4k. I like the small size of the FZ and the lightness. It's power is always there, high low and mid revs. All the torque plus the lighter bike will make them a close match in a drag race...very close considering the price difference.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Had an early Z 1000 ( 2004 )

Would take the FZ 09 over it in a heart beat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ignoring that I don't like the styling of the current z1000 - in a comparison I would say it is the big brother to the FZ-09, Length, rake, trail - are similar - but the z1000 makes more power. Is cost a factor to you? The z1000 costs more to buy, insure, run, and maintain. The FZ-09 isn't the best bike for 2 up riding - but the passenger seat is really high and in the wind on the Z1000 - so passengers would probably prefer the FZ-09.
thanks for all the replies, its made me think ... cost 'is' a factor of course but in the end i'll pay more for the right bike up to maybe 15 .. i dont need crazy-fast, but it would be nice to be able to cruise at 80+ sometimes, so maybe the ninja1000 would be better in the wind department, or put a windshield on the fz09, or go all the way with a fjr, but the thought of enjoying riding daily on a giant bike doesnt seem like it will be half the fun of jumping on the fz09 ..

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I am not aware of anyone regretting the purchase of the FZ. You should really take a test ride...that will let you know if its your kind of ride. Get ready for a massive dopamine surge

·
Registered
570 Posts
thanks for all the replies, its made me think ... cost 'is' a factor of course but in the end i'll pay more for the right bike up to maybe 15 .. i dont need crazy-fast, but it would be nice to be able to cruise at 80+ sometimes, so maybe the ninja1000 would be better in the wind department, or put a windshield on the fz09, or go all the way with a fjr, but the thought of enjoying riding daily on a giant bike doesnt seem like it will be half the fun of jumping on the fz09 ..
You sound like a good candidate for a 2014 Ninja 1000. It has more wind protection than the Z1000 and weighs only a bit more. If I was in the market for a sport-tourer, with the emphasis on sport, the Ninja 1000 would be the first bike I looked at.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so i see the other thread now pretty much covering the topic of this one, thats some good reading ... yes ive looked until my eyes are red and cracked every night at bikes, and gone to a couple of dealers to sit on some, and ive come to a conclusion and this is going to be a rant heh:
... the 'closest' thing to the bike i want is the fz09 graphite/blue .. other bikes that are extremely interesting and on my narrowed down list are
-Aprilia tuono v4r in black
-Honda nc700x in black
-fjr1300 in blue/silver i guess only 2012', but theres a couple of new ones left out there .
-the 'Blue Ninja' 1000
.. so my conclusion is they dont make the bike i want, and it seems 'to me' that the industry has dwindled down into a click of wannabe racers that have entirely shaped the lines of most modern bikes into something more or less entirely unsatisfying and/or gaudy looking .. i mean just look at almost EVERY pic of bike on the net .. its kneew down, leaned all the way over, in full dress race battlegear going all out ... i ride in the real world myself and am not looking to prove my track prowess ... i also dont want to go down the other path and that is a bunch of pathetic worn out hippies thinking theyre somehow instantly cool by having the harley look .. jeesh ...
.. anyway i absolutely love the practicality and clean look of the Honda nc700x .. give it an fz09 engine and brakes, an economy mode that gives it 50+mpg, and keep it under 10thou and im there ... but what could be cooler than rumbling up to a stoplight on a tuono lol im lost :D .. i'll probably wind up with an fz09 here in a week or two ...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
FZ09 for a sporty bike that is an absolute blast that you can use to commute. The NC700X is an incredible commuter, and from what I can tell it's not bad in the twisties.

The 09 is going to be your fast, good looking and comfortable bike, the Honda is going to be your quick efficient fun commuter.

Pretty sure the 09 is the fastest of the bikes mentioned. Just an educated guess.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Buzzard,

I have the CTX700n and I can tell you it is fine around town and even on the freeway. But if you want around a car at 65, there is nothing like having power. sure it will get around fairly quick, but not instant like the other bikes. The Frunk is useful and the economy is great. Easy bikes to ride. The NC has been out longer then the CTX so more accessories you can add. On a twisty road you can have fun with it. Do not buy one without test driving it at freeway speed. my CTX will be for sale. The FZ-09 wins.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Buzzard,

I have the CTX700n and I can tell you it is fine around town and even on the freeway. But if you want around a car at 65, there is nothing like having power. sure it will get around fairly quick, but not instant like the other bikes. The Frunk is useful and the economy is great. Easy bikes to ride. The NC has been out longer then the CTX so more accessories you can add. On a twisty road you can have fun with it. Do not buy one without test driving it at freeway speed. my CTX will be for sale. The FZ-09 wins.
great info and advice. i realize fully now what the catch is on the the nc .. the fz09 is looking more and more like the best choice ..

·
Registered
337 Posts
My advice unless you have a VERY good local Aprilia shop stay away! Awesome bikes to ride but my RSV4 had problems every season I owned it, spent at least one month each summer being worked on. Tuono is still using the same plastic tank from Acerbis and it will eventually swell and have issues due to ethanol, they all do unless Caswell coated when new to prevent penetration. I ended up selling the RSV4 a week before picking up the FZ09.

·
Registered
957 Posts
For your the type of riding you say you do, a cruiser (or similar) sounds like the ideal bike. However, since you say you want something that has more engineering put into it than cruisers typically do, and you seem to have some sort of aversion to a full fairing, my recommendations to you are the Z1000, FZ1, Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, and other similar bikes. Because you never mentioned anything about how much of your riding is dependent upon having to prioritize handling above other traits, I can't say much more.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
You can steal a brand new FZ1 from the dealership for less than the FZ09 and still have plenty of money left to farkle the shit out of it. It's not flashy or new, but it's a whole lot of bike with a ton of aftermarket support. Send the ECU to Ivan's performance products, buy an exhaust, and tuner and you have 150hp monster on your hands for well south of $10,000. I see another one set up for sport touring in my future.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts