Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone commute and work where business casual is minimum dress code? Curious on the gear you use...

·
Registered
207 Posts
I do and have for years. I have two approaches to commuting and dressing for work.
1- The Joe Rocket 'Survivor' one piece when the weather is cooler, just order one size larger than you wear so you can sport your work clothing underneath. I got my last one from Leather up.
2- I wear my regular gear in warmer weather and back pack my 'neatly' folded work attire. Then change in the rest room at work. Since I ride my scoot faster than I drive my car I leave home at the same time and have plenty to spare so I can change once I'm at the office.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I wear my navy blue camo, if its cool out i wear my leather jacket and my riding pants over my uniform. The steel toes are perfect for riding...although a little thick.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I'm very fortunate and am able to keep my business clothes at work in a surplus wardrobe cabinet. This works nicely most days, Otherwise when necessary, much like jmcghee41 describes, I have worn gear over my work clothes (carried the shoes and tie separately) or folded all my work clothes into a tailbag.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've been commuting on a Yamaha Zuma 125 for the last nine months. It is honestly a blast on most days out here in California. Besides great weather my ride was only five miles each way and did not require taking the freeway. After moving recently my commute has increased to twelve miles each way since I cannot use the freeway on my manly Zuma! I've racked up almost six thousand miles in nine months.

My question is this: Any commuters out there ever been concerned about pollution? I'm just realizing how much road debris and car exhaust has been getting blasted right at me. My gear and scooter get very dirty from week to week, but the breathing has to be the worst part. It cannot help the fact that I have asthma. But I am seriously hooked and would prefer to stay on two wheels most days.

Anyway, if this is a concern of yours or you have any type of solution to help I'd be interested to hear.

Also, I will definitely be investing in an Aerostitch suit somewhere down the road.... perhaps when I get an Adventure/Touring bike!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I wear my navy blue camo, if its cool out i wear my leather jacket and my riding pants over my uniform. The steel toes are perfect for riding...although a little thick.
except for the laces...they could get caught in your brake/shift levers or pegs...and give you big surprise when you go to put a foot down. Thats why real moto boots use laceless closure

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i keep a pair of shoes at work, or i'll bring them in my backpack so i can wear my riding boots. I wear my astars jaws leather jacket and bring an extra shirt in my pack for when i get to work (in the summer i've usually soaked one shirt by the time i get to work). I can wear jeans to work so I alternate the few pairs of kevlar jeans i have, but i also sometimes just wear kahkis and accept the risk.

I've considered overpants but i just never came around to buying them.

My question is this: Any commuters out there ever been concerned about pollution? I'm just realizing how much road debris and car exhaust has been getting blasted right at me. My gear and scooter get very dirty from week to week, but the breathing has to be the worst part. It cannot help the fact that I have asthma. But I am seriously hooked and would prefer to stay on two wheels most days.

Anyway, if this is a concern of yours or you have any type of solution to help I'd be interested to hear.
I've thought about this but, your car is usually blowing in this air from the outside anyway. While you probably breathe in more smog than someone would in a car, i don't think too many bikers are dropping dead from exhaust fumes anywhere. You're more likely to be killed from the idiot not paying attention, or the food you eat :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
except for the laces...they could get caught in your brake/shift levers or pegs...and give you big surprise when you go to put a foot down. Thats why real moto boots use laceless closure
Amen to that Luke. I had a close call like that just the other day. I was riding in my steel toed boots and went to stop at a stoplight. Usually i ride with my laces tucked in, but one managed to sneak out on my left boot. As i went to put my left foot down, the lace caught around the peg and kept me from putting my foot down. Luckily i managed to throw my weight back to the right and was able to save an otherwise extremely embarrasing tip over. I never really thought much of getting riding boots but now its a priority.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Obviously you aren't navy, our uniform dress code requires us to tuck in our laces and we use blousing straps for the pant legs. Nothing to get caught :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts