Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a self described electronics neophyte. As an example, I just bought my first smart phone about a month ago. My kids are grown and gone, and my wife and I are left to our own devices, literally. Our dogs, although quite friendly, seem to be of little help on the subject. I have long commutes, and currently use an mp3 player with ear buds. I'm looking a communication systems. I'd like to start simply, and progress, if my interest continues. Any opinions would be welcomed.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sena's are very well regarded. I cheaped out and went with the SMH-5 a few years ago, and have been pleased with it so far. It connects with my smart phone and can stream music, phone, or GPS if you like. If I were to do it over again, I would go with the SMH-10 which has better range. As a communication device, it works great as an intercom with a passenger or with another rider with a similar device. I believe the newer models can sync with other brands. Mine is good for about 200 to maybe 300 yards- in flat areas. In the hills, it fades out around turns so it's really more like 100 yards- or less. I haven't used any other brand so this is a very limited review, but based on what I've read and my experience with it, I'm quite pleased. As a side note, I also bought the slimline version- the SMH-10S, and am not as content with that one. It's more difficult for me to use, and at least mine does not hang up the phone as it should. I'll have to try update the software, but for now, I prefer the more traditional version.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
+1 on the Sena.... Very convenient and can pair up with 3 other people for direct conversation that sounds clearer than sitting in a room. I think I got about half a mile range when there aren't many mountains around... On small mountains, like bear mountain, range dropped faster to about quarter mile. I have the older smh10r.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts