Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of communication systems are you using? Scala, UClear, Cardo, Sena?
Looking for helmet to helmet, rider to rider, phone/bluetooth. I've read reviews both good and bad on almost all systems, but what does the FZ-09 community prefer? I've searched the forum and didn't see much posted on this subject. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I use the Sena SMH10. I love it. With the optional adapter plate, I plug in my custom earmold studio monitors and listen to Bluetooth iPod music all day. The Bluetooth headset to headset range is okay with my wife on her bike a half mile away, and the latest free firmware upgrade gave us a range improvement. If I get out of range I just call her on the mobile with the new speed dial feature. I have used the unit for a couple of years now. The new Sena 20S is amazing and picks up FM stations as well, and it has a built in plug for a mini headphone jack without having to buy extra hardware.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I have the sena smh10r I think K it's the same as dougs except the batter is separate, I mounted the communicator control on the side of my helmet and the batter pack on the back.

It's awesome, decent sound quality for music (for what it is), plenty loud - you can hear even with plugs in. Very slim design and decent battery life, lasts a multi hour trips of constant music streaming.

Lastly it works while charging, I bring a rechargable battery with me and charge it if I need to while riding.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have owned a chatterbox FRS2, chatterbox Xbi2, Cardo scala rider, and now the SMH10 from Sena. I like the Sena by far. Easy to use and program, free firmware updates, 2 year warranty (other manf offer on 1), quality sound, decent range, and no problems connecting to my HTC DNA phone using Bluetooth. You can't go wrong with the Sena.

·
Registered
89 Posts
+1 for the Sena smh10r.

Does everything I need and more. Very slim and easy to use.

·
Vendor
2,395 Posts
+1 for Sena SMH10.
I would love to purchase the 20S but can't justify selling my current one as it does everything I want (and then some)!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be checking out the Sena this weekend.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I also went with the Sena, although I bought the SMH5. Now wish I'd gone with the larger SMH10 for better range. Recently bought the slimline SMH10R, but wish I had gotten the all-in-one SMH10 instead as the slimline is not as user-friendly. The SMH5 is excellent, but has a more limited range. Maybe 250-300 yards with a clear line of sight, and less than that when riding in the hills.

·
Registered
26 Posts
SMH10R rocks! Great clarity and works well at distance, very easy to use. I stream music from my iphone and also use gps functions from various apps. Highly recommend it. The slim look is barely noticeable.

·
Registered
612 Posts
SMH10R rocks! Great clarity and works well at distance, very easy to use. I stream music from my iphone and also use gps functions from various apps. Highly recommend it. The slim look is barely noticeable.
I got the SMH10R recently but haven't had chance to install it yet, I have to agree that the low profile size is exactly what a Bluetooth device should be like. I'm planning to devote some time to installing it this weekend and I'll report back about the sound quality I get.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
185 Posts
It's only low profile because it's actually two separate pieces, the controller and the battery. It makes mounting a little weirder because you have to route more wires. I really like the 10r inspite of that. I'd like to see sen a built into helmets, maybe strike a deal with icon or.... etc.

Steve

·
Registered
612 Posts
It's only low profile because it's actually two separate pieces, the controller and the battery. It makes mounting a little weirder because you have to route more wires. I really like the 10r inspite of that. I'd like to see sen a built into helmets, maybe strike a deal with icon or.... etc.

Steve
I decided to install my 10R last night and I used it today during my work commute, while I was navigating through a torrent of rain. The sound quality is excellent, in fact while I was speaking to my wife I had to lower the volume about 5 clicks because it was so loud. When you look at the helmet there is barely any noticeable sign that a Bluetooth device is attached, it's ultra slim and über slick. I give it top marks! The only negative I can think of is the total lack of any bass when listening to music.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use the scala q3 and its great. Everything is interchangeable. The cool thing is the ease of use. 4 buttons and its really user friendly. There is an awesome online interface where you can change settings online. i really like that you can set it up for vsc. Its the little things. Comes with a boom mic or wired, and it mounts really well.
ScalaRiderQ3.jpg

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I decided to install my 10R last night and I used it today during my work commute, while I was navigating through a torrent of rain. The sound quality is excellent, in fact while I was speaking to my wife I had to lower the volume about 5 clicks because it was so loud. When you look at the helmet there is barely any noticeable sign that a Bluetooth device is attached, it's ultra slim and über slick. I give it top marks! The only negative I can think of is the total lack of any bass when listening to music.
Check your firmware number. The latest free firmware improves the music quality and has a couple of slick improvements like being able to play music while on intercom and speed dial capabilities..

·
Registered
280 Posts
I got my smh10 today and just finished installing a little bit ago. I had a little difficulty trying to get some of the cables stuck under my helmet pads and getting the snap lined up, but other than that it was very straightforward.

I went for a shirt ride after installing them 5.0 firmware update, which was also a breeze any I was very impress with the ease of use. Once I got a feel for the ridges that separate each button I had no problems, and the voice responses from the device are great as well.

uploadfromtaptalk1396912919765.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1396912931118.jpg

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have Nolan helmets and can use their N-Com system. Integrates my GPS, iPhone (calls, Pandora, iTunes, Siri. Etc) and riding friends up to about 500 feet.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Check your firmware number. The latest free firmware improves the music quality and has a couple of slick improvements like being able to play music while on intercom and speed dial capabilities..
V5.0 does this? I did a search on the interweb and only came up with this for the update

Sena Released SMH10 Firmware Version 5.0

Sena Released SMH10 Firmware Version 5.0
Sena Technologies, Inc. released the firmware version 5.0 of the SMH10 with major enhancements in functions and features such as Universal Intercom and Advanced Noise Control™.

Universal Intercom: You can have an intercom conversation with non-Sena Bluetooth headsets using the Universal Intercom™ function.

- Advanced Noise Control™: It is equipped with wind noise suppression and intelligent Noise Gate in the intercom to limit the interference of wind noise and background noise while riding.

- Sidetone: If this feature is enabled, you can hear what you are speaking during an intercom conversation or a phone call.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
In the imortal words of Steve Martin: "Well excuuuuuuuuse me!"

I jumped from 4.2 to 5.0 and just found the new shit in the PDF user's manual.

If you want to be technical:

Change made from version 4.3 to 5.0
Universal Intercom™
Advanced Noise Control™
Sidetone
Ultra HD Voice Recording™ for PRISM and Bluetooth Audio Pack
Improved compatibility with Bluetooth GPS devices
Minor bug fixes in intercom volume, Speed dial, and intercom VOX

Change made from version 4.2.1 to 4.3
Music Sharing
Speed Dial
Minor bug fixes and performance improvements in SM10 connection and intercom function

Change made from version 4.2.1 to 4.2.2
Minor bug fixes in A2DP connection and more

Change made from version 4.2 to 4.2.1
Improved compatibility with GPS devices
Minor bug fixes in HFP connection

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Ah they made it pretty difficult to find the info - This is great. Just updated from 4.2 to 5 myself.

Did you really notice a difference in music quality or is it marketing bs?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Ah they made it pretty difficult to find the info - This is great. Just updated from 4.2 to 5 myself.

Did you really notice a difference in music quality or is it marketing bs?

I went to manual firmware download on their site to find the info.

The Bass is still kind of weak, so I changed my EQ settings on my Shuffle. I am an old fart and still like more treble and mid. The music volume is louder. I find myself turning it down more than before. The Intercom is improved, and does not break up as much at a distance. Always do a factory reset , remove all Bluetooth links from devices, and start over with a fresh pair after a firmware revision.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts