·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: FZjohn and stuarth

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I read that the other day. I don't care for how it is laid out like a conversation or back and forth. It is not reader friendly. Should be in a better Q & A format to make synthesizing the information easier, instead of a wall of text with names next to it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
One of the major things I've learned in my years of riding is when not to go fast. It's kind of a skill unto itself. I recall riding very, very hard one day up in the mountains on a road I knew well and on which there were few real dangers (no cross roads, houses, etc). I got mighty surprised at how quickly the back of a full logging truck appeared around a blind corner. In that moment I started to re-think the whole speed thing and it has repeatedly proven a valuable lesson.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had a good lesson last night , went down after leaving a dirt parking lot onto a dirty road to much throttle around the corner and swap swap down . Now I need a new jacket ,gloves ,helmet, handle bars ,rear set ,pegs .....
:( least I don't need new skin and I still managed to ride home .
Cold dirty tires and dirty roads don't mix

·
Registered
7 Posts
"I got mighty surprised at how quickly the back of a full logging truck appeared around a blind corner. In that moment I started to re-think the whole speed thing and it has repeatedly proven a valuable lesson."

I was riding my Fizzer yesterday and taking a fast, wide left turn I found there was a dumb log truck drifting over the center lane marks of the road. It was a double yellow area and I thought I was going to hit him while he kept drifting over to my side so that I had less than half of my lane left. I had been planning on riding close to the center marks of the road, but as he had that area covered, I thought I could only ride farther to the right side of the left hander. I did so and was pretty much upright by then. I was afraid that his trailer (a long sumbitch) was going to scrape me off into the weeds. I remember the smell of the logs. I thought I'd sit more upright yet and allow my handlebars to scrape the logs. Although the bike would be toast at least I might be thrown off down the remainder of my lane. Luckily (or divine provenance) I stayed upright on the bike. I'm sure I missed by only inches, but I'm here typing about it. I'm thinking about what I can learn about this so as to not let it happen again. It was a blind corner so, aside from assuming all blind corners have log trucks drifting over into my side, there ain't much I can do to prevent it from happening again. Aside from going slowly around all blind corners (all the good corners in Michigan), there's not much I can do. Oh well, I made it for 50 years riding like I do without hitting any dumb loggers, maybe I can make it for the next 50.
Bugslayer

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Don't think after making eye contact with a car driver that he/she sees you. You're invisible.

Right of way means nothing. You can be right and dead.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It's easy to out ride your line of sight, it's not so easy to stop for something you can't see up ahead. A lesson learned in the old dirt biking days ripping down windy trails. You can almost feel your eyes pop out when your realize that fun windy trail suddenly ends, lol.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Plenty of things out there that are out of your control as well. Few weeks back I almost hit two female deer that ran across the road. I was leaned over at a moderate speed, nothing extraordinary.. I brought the bike upright and backed off the gas because I knew it was out of my control.

I think that's one really important lesson I've recently learned after years of riding. I'm now asking myself what animal/debris/driver-in-my-line might I encounter mid-apex, and do I have the room to react. At some point I accept that I am blind to those risks, but it comes with the territory of the sport.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Plenty of things out there that are out of your control as well. Few weeks back I almost hit two female deer that ran across the road. I was leaned over at a moderate speed, nothing extraordinary.. I brought the bike upright and backed off the gas because I knew it was out of my control.

I think that's one really important lesson I've recently learned after years of riding. I'm now asking myself what animal/debris/driver-in-my-line might I encounter mid-apex, and do I have the room to react. At some point I accept that I am blind to those risks, but it comes with the territory of the sport.
I had that same exact experience in Idaho last year. I had a doe run out in front of me right around a corner. I hit the brakes harder than I thought possible after getting everything straight, I prepared for that sickening thud(anyone who has hit anything knows what I'm talking about) and just kept the fully loaded bike under control. When it didn't come I realized I had closed my eyes. I was going 60 as I spotted the deer and when I realized everything was okay I was going around 10 and had my first rear wheel liftoff experience. It helped my confidence in the bike and my abilities and it also humbled me about just how close you are to great injury. Needless to say I took it easy and took a break a few miles later.

·
Registered
121 Posts
5 letters that never left my mind after my 1st training course...S.I.P.D.E.

Scan
Identify
Predict
Decide
Engage

Rinse and repeat every millisecond...;)

Does anyone else remember that acronym?

·
Registered
768 Posts
I recall a friend telling me about the "refrigerator rule" he read somewhere.
Never go so fast you couldn't avoid a full sized refrigerator sitting in the middle of the road.
Likewise, if there's enough room in a tight situation to fit a refrigerator, there's an escape route.

Reactions: GhengisT
1 - 16 of 16 Posts