Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the FZ-09 out for a ride today and actually jumped on the freeway for about 20 miles. Running it up to about 115 MPH up the on ramp and onto the freeway. I realized I was out of my comfort zone. My comfort zone seems to be between 80-90 MPH. The comfort zone also changes from bike to bike.

So what's your comfort zone?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It's kind of like working with power tools for a living. The guys who have been doing it for 10+ years and still have all their fingers and toes, have learned to work with just the right amount of healthy fear for power tools. The guy missing a finger tip or two got a little to comfortable and wasn't paying enough attention to what he was doing, and zip there goes another finger.

I always treat any motorcycle with just enough healthy fear of staying alive to ride another day. So my comfort zone all depends on the day, riding conditions, amount of traffic, etc, etc, etc.

So I misbehave when there is no one else around, I know the road intimately, and still keep that healthy fear in check. I like to keep out of traffic, never stay in it if it can be helped. Find cruising on the highways and freeway at about +5 to +10 over the speed limit, so that falls in the 70 to 80 range. Any faster and you start drawing to much unwanted attention. Unless it's a deserted road that I know very well, and know all the cops hiding spots. But even then you can get in trouble from the cops in planes or the police helicopter.

Plus there are starting to be more and more people with dash camera's, which the cops love because it's hard to fight an argument with video footage. Even if the charges don't stick, it's going to cost you to fight it.

p.s. - I have a dash camera for the truck and an action camera for the bike this year. So smile all you idiot driver's, your on candid camera.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Overall I'm conservative. I enjoy going fast sometimes and hanging out the knee but I agree with Rocky. It's situational. In traffic I generally go the same speed as everyone else and don't draw attention to myself. If I'm alone on a back road or highway or toll road I'll open it up as long as I know the road well and where bumps and cracks and stuff are. This morning going to work I hit 120mph on the toll road. It was dark but I was alone and it was a smooth stretch. It was my first time cracking 100 on the FZ and I was pleased with its performance and handling which increased my comfort level and confidence in this bike. No buffeting or speed wobble whatsoever

Reactions: River

·
Registered
654 Posts
im a third vote for my comfort zone changes with the road / weather conditions and my mood. I will say I was passing a slow line of cars on a two lane highway today and when I saw oncoming traffic in the distance I dropped 2 gears and the hammer to complete my pass asap, I was cackling like a school girl as I found myself instantly traveling 120 and completed the pass with at least 1/4 mile to spare. (to tell you how out of character that is for me im usually 10 over everywhere but that's it.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Fast bikes always surprise me at how quick they get to those speeds. Generally, you wouldn't choose to go over 100, but just nail it through a couple of gears and you're there. If you decided to go for the gusto, hitting the speed limiter wouldn't take long at all.

My comfort zone is breaking 100 when I'm jumping on it now and then. I have no desire to take it to the next level of 110, 120 or topped out. Too many times, I've crested hills or come out of a long sweeping curve and met a deputy out cruising the same obscure road.

Forty years ago, I rode my bikes as fast as they would go every chance I had. Ah yes, age and wisdom ;-)

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm generally very conservative around town and traffic. Always try to keep in the back of my mind that I must respect the bike. Merging onto the freeway and roaring out of a corner into a nice straight-away that I'm familiar with, I'll be more aggressive. I've had a handful of liter-bikes, 600s, and a Hayabusa at one point. I still have to admit that I'm most impressed with the way the FZ09 puts down it's power. I enjoy a good run to redline just as much as the next guy, but I don't feel the need to ring this triple's tach so much. The instantaneous torque that the FZ09 produces so early beats the high-horsepower figures of most bikes I've ridden.

As expected with any naked bike, wind buffeting is a factor. I think where my comfort zone evaporates is around the 110mph mark, solely because my chest is now acting as a parachute and if I hit bump or pothole too hard, I might be going airborne :D I've also noticed drafting behind larger SUVs around 80mph to be quite annoying, the buffeting gets worse depending on the vehicle.

FWIW, I was in an accident in Jan 2015, on my 2005 Yamaha FZ6. Traveling at 40mph, car in the opposing lane turned left in front of me, no cars in front of me or other driver to disrupt view of each other. He was just a rookie driver and was probably busy texting, didn't see me during daylight hours and hooked a left on me at the last second. I now have left-turn phobia :p but I'm also more cognizant of how quickly things turned south and how limited my options to evade were. Moral of this rant is that every motorcycle out there accelerates a helluva lot faster than they can stop.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your replies but maybe I should have said what's your comfort zone cruising down the freeway? Maybe here in Texas we may have higher speed limits on our freeways. And just about all of DFW is new 4 lane highways. No big sweepers no big hills boring freeway.

Anyway once I pass my comfort zone I don't even have to look at the Speedo cause I can feel it. And this bike isn't really built for over 100MPH. There's nothing to duck behind. I have the Yamaha windscreen that's basically a filler between the headlight and Speedo. I had the speed limiter removed in my flash just because. I'll never see 130 on this bike.

So back to the freeway comfort zone. I jump on the freeway for a couple of miles on my WR250R. It's comfort zone is 60-65 MPH. It'll do 80... 85 with me in a full tuck but its not relaxing not comfortable. Vstrom 1000 you gotta be doing 80 just to click it into 6th gear.

This thread is in no way asking anybody to speed or top your FZ-09 out. Just when you jump on the freeway at what speeds are you clicking in to 6th and cruising to your next exit. However far that is.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Took the FZ-09 out for a ride today and actually jumped on the freeway for about 20 miles. Running it up to about 115 MPH up the on ramp and onto the freeway. I realized I was out of my comfort zone. My comfort zone seems to be between 80-90 MPH. The comfort zone also changes from bike to bike.

So what's your comfort zone?
Completely on board with your assessment. I am totally comfortable up to around 90 or so. This bike is so light and quick steering that it feels a bit twitchy above 100 so I don't go there much.

My new Connie 14 is a completely different story. Took it to 130 yesterday and it was as rock solid as it is at 70. The wind noise gets pretty annoying at that speed though.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
415 lbs versus 500 and above makes a big difference. Up to 100 mph, it's a lot more fun.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The speed limit or 9 mph over. I have way too many cars and bikes insured to.afford an insurance hike from a speeding ticket!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I've coached many riders over the years.

I find being out of your personal comfort zone has a lot of meaning that most riders do not realize to their own advantage.

When you find yourself "out of your comfort zone" or "everything is coming at you too fast" or "something scared/startled you" or "made you anxious" then that is a warning sign that you have a hole/gap in your riding skills.

Human nature is to avoid whatever made you uncomfortable.

If you are going to ride a motorcycle YOU MUST EMBRACE it and determine WHY it made you uncomfortable and how to fill that gap in your skillset and learn how to apply the appropriate skills.

If you take the lazy/normal human nature approach of avoiding uncomfortable things, you leave yourself open to a huge risk: your "uncomfortable feeling" was a clear warning that you have a gap in your skillset and when you are eventually forced to apply that particular skill to avoid an accident, you will hesitate or do it improperly, both of which can get you hurt or worse.

A common example is being uncomfortable riding through a little sand or gravel on the road or uncomfortable riding on a gravel surface at any speed.

Many riders will just avoid gravel and other loose surfaces.

That may work fine until that fine sunny day that you are enjoying a wonderful curvy road and as you enter a beautiful lefthand sweeper, a motorhome lumbering along in the opposite direction blows the turn and is taking up 1/2-2/3 of YOUR lane and coming right at you!

Your only escape route is a gravel shoulder or a turnout that is also usually gravel/dirt.

What do you do?

If you hesitate, any action you take will be too late to avoid the motorhome and you get hit. Sure it is the motorhome driver's fault, but you are still hurt or worse.

If you panic because you are afraid of loose surfaces, you will likely target fixate on the motorhome and once again become a bumper sticker.

If instead, you had heeded the warning when you realized that loose surfaces make you anxious and uncomfortable and then you spent time, effort and energy learning how to handle your bike on loose surfaces, weeks, months before the motorhome forces you out of your lane, then that shoulder/turnout is not a threat and is instead a welcome escape path that you KNOW how to deal with.

Reactions: Camp49

·
Registered
673 Posts
That may work fine until that fine sunny day that you are enjoying a wonderful curvy road and as you enter a beautiful lefthand sweeper, a motorhome lumbering along in the opposite direction blows the turn and is taking up 1/2-2/3 of YOUR lane and coming right at you!

Your only escape route is a gravel shoulder or a turnout that is also usually gravel/dirt.

What do you do?
Begin treating the FZ-09 like the supermoto bike she is :D

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Begin treating the FZ-09 like the supermoto bike she is :D
Works great as long as you know how to ride a bike sideways. And yes that is a LOT of fun!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Generally speaking, lightweight naked bikes just don't do well at triple digit speeds. Aerodynamics work against them at that speed so they don't stayffirmly planted on the ground. Plus, without a large amount of wind protection the wind will beat you up. If that's your thing, you just plain bought the wrong kind of bike. That's really all there is to it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts