Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not done any research yet, because I wanted to get an idea of the community's take on cold-weather tires. Are they necessary? Are they worth it to have another set of wheels? On my car I have my summer set and my winter set. Weather here can get down to below zero once in a great while, but mostly sits around the freezing or just below freezing during winter. I'm not necessarily planning on doing much riding in the colder weather, but if I do, I want to make sure I've got some good knowledge on tire set ups.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Spare wheels and tires would be exorbitant. I always use the same tires year round. Motorcycle tire manufacturers do not make summer and winter tires, only tires for different types of riding as in rain, mud, track, etc. I am not one to ride in extreme cold unless I am in another country and get caught out.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
My cold weather tires are where they belong, on my car. ;)

There are some freaky tough riders that street ride in low temps, but wind chill charts don't do justice to how fast heat will leave you on the street. You are basically just sitting on the bike, not excising enough to generate heat and circulate it like you would while hiking on a windy day etc.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My cold weather tires are where they belong, on my car. ;)

There are some freaky tough riders that street ride in low temps, but wind chill charts don't do justice to how fast heat will leave you on the street. You are basically just sitting on the bike, not excising enough to generate heat and circulate it like you would while hiking on a windy day etc.
Babies lol. Michelin pilot road 3 for winter, wet, dry, great street tire.

Btw I highly suggest Gerbings heated gear. Makes winter riding fun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have already run the jacket and gloves. No issue and probably 10-12 hours using both.
LED accent lamps up front, led turn signals, and HID headlamp. That helps free up a little juice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Babies lol. Michelin pilot road 3 for winter, wet, dry, great street tire.

Btw I highly suggest Gerbings heated gear. Makes winter riding fun.
Thank you! For actually answering the question. I don't have a cage and I'm about to move to the PNW from Arizona. Gotta get ready.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hell yes! I was checking them out. Excited to give the 09 the winter makeover. My Nelson rigg suit came yesterday. Checking all my boxes off slowly.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hell yes! I was checking them out. Excited to give the 09 the winter makeover. My Nelson rigg suit came yesterday. Checking all my boxes off slowly.
I had road 5's on my old FZ6 and they were a dream. no change in grip no matter the temp, surface, etc. I ordered a set of metzeler roadtec 01's for my 09 and will put em on this week. I heard they are just as good in the cold, and I saved about $60, so we'll see if it was worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had roadtec m3s on the 09 when I first bought it. I think the $60 you saved was all in traction. I slipped all over road paint and shit. Plus, they wore down pretty quick. Lemme know if you have a better experience, though.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had roadtec m3s on the 09 when I first bought it. I think the $60 you saved was all in traction. I slipped all over road paint and shit. Plus, they wore down pretty quick. Lemme know if you have a better experience, though.
Hmm, yeah will do. I got the 01's off word of mouth recommendations plus the reviews I saw. I haven't heard anything that bad about the 01's but I'll be sure to fill you in once they are fitted and I've got some miles in.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Update: I've had the Roadtec 01's on for a week, or about 350 miles so far and the road feel is 3x better than the OEM S20's. These tires dont even "feel" cold unless it's under 30 degrees, and even then they warm up in what feels like a very short time. I haven't had them in mild temperature yet and I haven't hit the twisties hard but great tires so far. I think I may like these better than Road 5's...although I didnt have those on this bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts