Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Cold Tires == Low Side

7K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  Mothy 
#1 ·
Well, I am now completely done with the Bridgestone tires as the compound was cold this am (33 degrees) and I went down with a rear tire slip during an easy roll-on of the throttle (less than 15 mph) on some typical asphalt free of gravel and any other traction loosing stuff. The tires gave way and didn't ponder changing their mind almost as if I was slipping on ice! The bike and myself are OK, laptop, not so much... I will be getting some new handlebars and likely side covers and living with a tiny rear swing-arm scrape. Funniest part, my new seat is showing tomorrow. Pfft... New tires will be coming soon! No more bridgers fo me!

#5 ·
Bridgestone S20s are hypersport tires. These tires by their very nature don't grip jack squat at low temperatures. The same could be said of the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II, Michelin Pilot Power III, Dunlop Q3, and Continental Sport Attack 2, all of which are its competitors. If you want grip at near-winter temperatures you need to be running sport touring tires. That's all there is to it.

#6 ·
I didn't see where you listed what bridgestone tire you were using? Maybe a different thread that I did not see? Sorry to hear that you fell but glad you are okay. Curious to know what tire, and tire pressures you were running, also how long you were riding for before this happened as well.

#8 ·
Assumption is that he's running the Bridgestone S20R that about 60% of the bikes sold in the US came stock with. The other 40% or so came with the Dunlop D214. The Bridgestone is the superior of the two but it is first and foremost a hypersport tire. They take longer to heat up and need higher temps to grip right.

#14 ·
Glad the damage was minimal Wrenchin. I've always had good luck with Michelin Pilots in cold and wet conditions. During the hottest part of summer tar snakes become a hazzard. It seems it's always something keeping us on our toes.

#15 ·
I'm worried about the same thing with wet snow in the forecast tomorrow. Have a set of PR4's coming this week that should get me through the Winter with a bit more traction.

Has anyone found a good touch-up bottle for the frame yet? I need to cover a few scratches on my frame.

#24 ·
This one's not bad. I had a few small scratches on my swingarm near the chain adjuster and this blended in fairly well.

VHT Paint Engine Metallic, Black Pearl, 11 oz, Aerosol SP405: Buy the right Paint - High Heat at Advance Auto Parts

I'm worried about the same thing with wet snow in the forecast tomorrow. Have a set of PR4's[video]http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/vht-paint-engine-metallic-black-pearl-11-oz-aerosol-sp405/10193416-P[/video] coming this week that should get me through the Winter with a bit more traction.

Has anyone found a good touch-up bottle for the frame yet? I need to cover a few scratches on my frame.

#18 ·
I'm running pilot power 3s right now and they seem to do good in what little 40 degree weather they've seen.

#28 ·
I have been contemplating what to get for new tires as well. I actually did a ride last Saturday that had me going up a muddy, snow patched dirt road and I was surprised by the handling of the bike as well as the stock tires on it. After that encounter, It made me really want to get tires that are almost for dual sport purposes.

#29 ·
I did the same thing last week under similar conditions. Doing some last minute yard and garage cleanup before winter. Pulled the bike into the driveway to make some room to work, which later temped me to go for a quick rip in mid 30 degree temps before wrapping things up. Rolled the throttle pulling out of my street.....

Now in have an valid excuse to upgrade my handlebars, levers, and a sweet set of bar end mirrors.

Good to hear you're OK, man. Consider this a lesson to us both. Ride on.

#32 · (Edited)
I will definitely check into changing over to a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3 or 4's when it comes time for a new set of tires.

Not that I will be cornering / hedge trimming like I was at the TT races like this guy.

Motor vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motorcycle racer Motorcycling

When it does get cold out, that's when the DR650 comes out to play. It has a set of Heidenau K60 Scout Dual Sport Tires, that are M+S rated, lol.

#33 ·
I rode on the S20s all winter long last year- pressures at 36/42 - through the polar vortex and some snow here and there. I did not have problem on dry ground much. The only time I really lost any amount of traction was on an inch of soft snow (when TCS would have been good to have) and time to get home very slowly- probably it was too much torque for those conditions. I waited for them to warm up (the S20s did warm up fairly fast) before I even took any slow corners so maybe thats why they were fine. I have the PR4s on the bike now..definitely more grippy and warm up faster.
If scooters can have snow tires, why not bikes? What is a good tire like the pirelli MT 60s on the new Ducati scramblers that will fit the FZ?

#36 ·
Same experience here. I did all of my ECU 'testing' last winter on the S20's...never had a problem. In fact, my first track day on this bike was at Jennings in the 40's w/ rain. If you're not careful, any tire will break free when it's that cold. The higher the torque, the more careful we need to be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.