Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am now completely done with the Bridgestone tires as the compound was cold this am (33 degrees) and I went down with a rear tire slip during an easy roll-on of the throttle (less than 15 mph) on some typical asphalt free of gravel and any other traction loosing stuff. The tires gave way and didn't ponder changing their mind almost as if I was slipping on ice! The bike and myself are OK, laptop, not so much... I will be getting some new handlebars and likely side covers and living with a tiny rear swing-arm scrape. Funniest part, my new seat is showing tomorrow. Pfft... New tires will be coming soon! No more bridgers fo me!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
sorry to hear that - the bridgestones are definitely scary sub 40 degrees. Glad you're ok..

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've noticed the same thing the last couple of mornings around a 90 degree turn on my normal commute. Not quite as cold, but definitely feel the backend wanting to slide out from under me. Glad you're ok though.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
957 Posts
Bridgestone S20s are hypersport tires. These tires by their very nature don't grip jack squat at low temperatures. The same could be said of the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II, Michelin Pilot Power III, Dunlop Q3, and Continental Sport Attack 2, all of which are its competitors. If you want grip at near-winter temperatures you need to be running sport touring tires. That's all there is to it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I didn't see where you listed what bridgestone tire you were using? Maybe a different thread that I did not see? Sorry to hear that you fell but glad you are okay. Curious to know what tire, and tire pressures you were running, also how long you were riding for before this happened as well.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I didn't see where you listed what bridgestone tire you were using? Maybe a different thread that I did not see? Sorry to hear that you fell but glad you are okay. Curious to know what tire, and tire pressures you were running, also how long you were riding for before this happened as well.
Assumption is that he's running the Bridgestone S20R that about 60% of the bikes sold in the US came stock with. The other 40% or so came with the Dunlop D214. The Bridgestone is the superior of the two but it is first and foremost a hypersport tire. They take longer to heat up and need higher temps to grip right.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the stock Bridgestone tires... The slippage was out of control, hit steering stops... No reason for traction loss on street, (gravel/ice/other) leaving only the tires for reason... Barely even rolled on throttle... In hindsight, hitting the rear brake a touch may have saved the slide, but dunno on that even... Moral of the story is watch your arse under 40 degrees! These tires are slippery as hell....

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had the stock Bridgestone tires... The slippage was out of control, hit steering stops... No reason for traction loss on street, (gravel/ice/other) leaving only the tires for reason... Barely even rolled on throttle... In hindsight, hitting the rear brake a touch may have saved the slide, but dunno on that even... Moral of the story is watch your arse under 40 degrees! These tires are slippery as hell....
There's a telling statement - "hit steering stop". Exactly why I often cut the stops down on my dirt bikes.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
What "mode" were you in when that happened?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Glad the damage was minimal Wrenchin. I've always had good luck with Michelin Pilots in cold and wet conditions. During the hottest part of summer tar snakes become a hazzard. It seems it's always something keeping us on our toes.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm worried about the same thing with wet snow in the forecast tomorrow. Have a set of PR4's coming this week that should get me through the Winter with a bit more traction.

Has anyone found a good touch-up bottle for the frame yet? I need to cover a few scratches on my frame.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Wrenchin.........What tire pressures were you running in the front and back?

·
Registered
885 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm running pilot power 3s right now and they seem to do good in what little 40 degree weather they've seen.

·
Registered
957 Posts
If you want something that can grip well in the cold it's gotta be Sport Touring. The top dogs in this segment are the Michelin Pilot Road 4, Dunlop Roadsmart 2, and Pirelli Angel GT. My preference is for the Roadsmart 2 because of the unique profile.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oh okay, I see you were on the Bridgestone S20. Other members have already pointed out some good information regarding that tire. Adding the rear brake while your rear was sliding wouldn't have helped you in your situation. When your rear tire starts spinning or sliding you need to bring the throttle back to a closed position in a "controlled movement". I have used that tire in better situations where the outside temperatures were higher. I found that tire to be fairly sticky and predictable when pushing it outside it's limits. I agree with you that you need to be careful with those tires or most any tires especially under 40 degrees though. I dont have much experience riding in 33 degree weather, and I doubt anyone really has tons of experience in riding in that weather with different sets of tires to compare. Maybe we'll get lucky? I would go with the pilot road 4s personally for street tires and just remember for tires to grip they need heat in them. I also think someone asked this as well, do you know what tire pressures you were running or not sure?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts