Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been getting cooler up here in the morning s, down to about 8-10 celsius. Most days when I start the bike to let it warm up, it sounds like it hesitates for a second, and then once running, sounds like it's down to 2 cylinders. I let this go on for about 10 or 15 seconds and barely blipped the throttle and got a big cloud of what looked like really rich exhaust, and then things went back to normal.

Anybody else seeing this? Am I crazy or is something going on? It definitely doesn't sound like it did starting after the bike had.cooled down but was still 20 or 25 degrees out

·
Registered
41 Posts
When i purchased my mt, my dealer told me that you don't let motorcycles warm up in idle, because the oil pump does not deliver enough pressure in idle rpms. so start it and ride it, but don't idle it! you will have increased wear due to a slow oil film buildup.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Idkkk about that ^

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
When i purchased my mt, my dealer told me that you don't let motorcycles warm up in idle, because the oil pump does not deliver enough pressure in idle rpms. so start it and ride it, but don't idle it! you will have increased wear due to a slow oil film buildup.
U sure about that?

·
Registered
26 Posts
My bike started doing this at about 11k miles. It has to be pretty cool out, and even then it doesn't do it every time. If you try to give it a good bit of throttle it just bogs down, but if you open it up easy once the rpms come up it blows a big cloud of smoke then runs like nothing ever happened. Been wanting to take it in to get it looked at but with an intermittent problem like that I'm not sure it would do any good.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
You need a new dealer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Actually if you think about it, i makes sense. usually you dont ride around at below 1.000 rpm, so if the engine is cold and the oil thick, it is not a good idea to idle. since at high rpms the oil pressure is good and you don't have a variable displacement oil pump, there would be way too much pressure. when the engine is warm and the oil thin, the pressure is sufficient and the oil pump can deliver enough oil.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
You know what makes even more sense?... that Yamaha Engineers are capable of designing an oil pump that can properly circulate oil when cold, at idle.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Actually if you think about it, i makes sense. usually you dont ride around at below 1.000 rpm, so if the engine is cold and the oil thick, it is not a good idea to idle. since at high rpms the oil pressure is good and you don't have a variable displacement oil pump, there would be way too much pressure. when the engine is warm and the oil thin, the pressure is sufficient and the oil pump can deliver enough oil.
If the oil is so thick that it cannot circulate, then the *last* thing you want to do is operate at higher rpm.

I push the bike out of the garage, start it and let it idle while i put on my jacket, helmet and gloves. i highly doubt that i'm doing any damage by letting it idle for a few minutes before taking off. I like to wait until the dash at least stops saying "lo" when in the engine temp mode before i take off.

but hey, it's your bike, do what you want.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
most wear occurs at cold startup - oil is thick and isn't flowing very well. not much you can do about this, except run a synthetic oil to minimize wear (synthetic oil flows better cold than a dino oil of the same viscosity grade). if there's any reason to run synthetic oil, it's that it works better than dino oil at temperature extremes.

it's true that there isn't as much oil pressure at idle as there is at higher rpm's, but at the same time, at idle there isn't much load on the engine so the demand on the oil film isn't high. it's not like you're giving it full throttle at idle in 6th gear.

i wouldn't worry about wear caused by idling. you'll warm up the bike faster by riding it gently than idling, but the worst thing that happens with idling is that you waste gas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts