Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have been considering hand guards as wind protection during the winter you might find my experience useful.

I ride about 20 minutes commuting each way 5 days a week throughout the year here in NC. I have heated grips and good gloves, which help, but when the temp. falls to 20-30 degrees F in the morning the heated grips and gloves haven't been enough to keep me from getting frozen hands. So about three weeks ago I added PowerMadd Star Series hand guards. After a test during the past few days of quite cold morning weather I can report that they definitely make a marked improvement and provide considerable protection against the wind. They are quite easy to install and remove; when warm weather returns I'll pop them off. In the meantime, the combination of the Star Series hand guards (with the extra large inserts) and heated grips seem to have solved my "cold hands" problem.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
How much did the set cost? and do you have any pictures of them installed?

·
Registered
343 Posts
The heated grips for the FJ-09 in accessories looks interesting but this is not an FZ-09 part.
What did you do to get heated grips?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try to get a picture this afternoon or tomorrow. I bought the PowerMadd Hand Guards, Hand Guard Extensions, and Handguard mounts from Amazon for $66. I also bought the gauntlets, for the really cold rainy days, from PowerMadd direct. I put on aftermarket Oxford heated grips last winter and have been satisfied with them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've tested/tried/run many heated grips, and found this combo to the be the best, bar none.

You will need stock grips. They work great.

A set of "Grip Doggies" or foam grip pads/covers that slip over the stock grips.

A set of ATV or Snowmobile heated grip pads/kit.

Make sure you get the ATV/Snowmobile ones, as they have two pads with the SAME heating grid, so your throttle and clutch grip are heated evenly. The MOTORCYCLE ones are heated MORE on the Clutch side, since it's designed to be wrapped around your metal bar, then have the stock grip put over it. The bar takes quite a bit of the heat AWAY from your left hand, so without a hotter heating pad there, your left hand would be frozen, while your throttle side, that's insulated by the throttle from the metal bar, would be way too hot.

So, you will also need a small drill, to drill holes in the stock grips, to pass the wires through, to route them along the handle bars. (Or inside the bars if you really want to hide the wires.)

You are going to need a fresh roll of electrical tape. I recommend 3M brand, or other quality electrical tape.

So, you have ATV/Snowmobile heater pads. The resistor block. The 3 way switch and the wires. I recommend a 30 amp relay, and wire up your power supply to the ignition circuit, so the heaters only on when the bike is RUNNING. This way it's off when you shut down the bike, and with the relay, and a fuse, you protect yourself from fires, and other issues.

The heater pads have a glue backing, but that's not going to hold them well over the rubber stock grips, and you don't want them to move. Also the pads are slightly smaller than the grips, so you will have a small gap. Place the gap where you don't need heat. (Between where your hand and fingers don't meet, when you hold the grip...)

Figure out the placement, mark and drill your holes, route wires, and clean the grips with some alcohol pads to get as good a glue bond as possible.

Now, stick on the heater pads, and tightly wrap the heater pads with the electrical tape, with one slightly overlapping layer. If you pull the tape tight, it will secure the heater pads to the stock grips, and leave a smoother surface you can slip the grip doggies over.

Run the wires, hook up the system, and test on LOW. It will heat up FAST. Fix any issues before you slip the grip doggies on.

This setup, on low is nearly too hot unless it's below 40 outside, depending on the gloves. With my summer gloves, with thin Kangaroo palms, low is just fine. On really cold days, and ski gloves, or good insulated gloves, it's possible to heat them up on hot for a few moments, and then flip to low, and enjoy the heat while you ride.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I do appreciate good heated grips, but don't really want to put them on the FZ. Purchase the "Warm and Safe" heated glove liners instead; already have the heated jacket that allow gloves to be plugged in and temperature adjusted separately. I use the Barkbusters Storm S7 handguards for the wind protection so I think I will be good for this Winter on the FZ.

Glove Personal protective equipment Finger Hand Fashion accessory

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wish I had asked for your advice before I put on the Oxford grips. Fortunately it (usually) isn't painfully cold here in NC (although last winter was alarmingly cold and the temp earlier this week was abnormally cold). But I will file your advice away and apply it in the future. Thanks!

·
Registered
957 Posts
What comes with the glove liners when purchased? Do you have to order the controller separate?
Powerlet rapidFIRe Heated Glove Liner Kit - RevZilla

Those are the ones I bought. They include everything. Their only real down side I would have to say is that the cable is excessively long and you have to find something to do with the unwanted length. Personally I just sit on it. If it's cold enough to have to use the liners I'm not going to be riding in a manner where I would want to adjust my position in the seat while the bike is in motion. You will need to purchase gloves that are one size too big for you as they won't fit under properly sized gloves that are snug. I bought Icon Patrols which are great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts