Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone want to take me to school on the art of the clutch up? I'm having a hard time teaching myself. Seems like I'm just beating on the bike. It only really wants to go up in second if I'm above 7k. Any advice on gear,rpm,speed is appreciated. Hard to learn this shit on YouTube. And I sure as hell don't wanna be one of those idiots who loops it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
FZ-09's will wheelie easily in 1-3 without the clutch. I would advise you not to worry about what RPM and speed to be going, it's all about feel. You need to know the feel and sound of where the power hits. Adjust your clutch so that it grabs far enough away from the grip to use one finger ( trigger pull style ). While gaining speed in second gear ( as in the revs are climbing, not at a constant throttle ), keep the throttle open and pull the trigger with one finger real quick. It just needs a 3/4 second clutch snap.

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
201 Posts
at 7k it should come right up without using the clutch. use more throttle and cover the rear brake.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I can pull it up without the clutch. Don't think I've ever used it actually. Sometimes it comes up when I don't really expect it to.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cant seem to get the front end up in 2nd or 3rd, unless I start a nice power wheelie in 1 then I can ride it through 3. But not start one in 3. no way

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Asphalt....it will definitely power wheelie in 3rd. Std and A help a lot. Just be more aggressive, and practice in a safe spot

·
Registered
81 Posts
I cant seem to get the front end up in 2nd or 3rd, unless I start a nice power wheelie in 1 then I can ride it through 3. But not start one in 3. no way
Same with me. It might be that I just naturally lean forward when I give it throttle, but when I wack the throttle open around 6 or 7k in 2nd gear I only get a light front end, maybe an inch or two off before I run out of revs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In 2nd, about 3/4 throttle, two or one finger the clutch. Don't "pop" the clutch, shoot it out like a fast shift. Hold the throttle, it's a natural tendency to let off a bit without realizing it. Once it starts coming up, control the initial height with the clutch(more clutch=lower, less clutch =higher). Once the wheel is up where you want it, presumably the balance point, which I get around 11 o'clock, you can modulate the throttle to maintain the height without the clutch. As someone said cover the back brake, I've had it come up hard enough to scrape the taillight, and recovered with the brake no problem. Also, keep a finger or two on the clutch, you can put it in the "friction zone" to smooth power delivery a bit which helps hold low speed wheelies without gaining much if any speed. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've only ever power wheelied my FZ and mostly in 1st, I can pop it up in second but usually only as I ride over the crest of a hill. I don't have the courage to go more than 12-16 inches off the ground, but this is my first ever bike so I don't have the past experience that most of you may have. It's a thrill every time and a bit terrifying on occasion when I'm not expecting it. I love this machine :love4:

·
Registered
314 Posts
1st gear power wheelies in "A" mode easy peasy ( as everyone already knows)... 2nd gear not so much, I usually have to throw all my weight into it... Clutch ups in 2nd gear are cake... I usually keep a constant throttle up to about 6k rpm, and slip the clutch, BAM! right up... I was messing around with 3rd gear clutch ups today and it was pretty easy... My usual problem is clutching it up at the left of the left lane, and 7seconds later being all the way to the right of the right lane.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Asphalt....it will definitely power wheelie in 3rd. Std and A help a lot. Just be more aggressive, and practice in a safe spot
Same with me. It might be that I just naturally lean forward when I give it throttle, but when I wack the throttle open around 6 or 7k in 2nd gear I only get a light front end, maybe an inch or two off before I run out of revs.
Luke, I have to disagree with you because I have the same problem as asphalt and I've TRIED and TRIED to make it happen, always in A mode. One thing no one usually talks about in these threads is rider weight and position on the bike when trying to bring the front up. I'm a bigger guy at 230lbs in gear and I have to really throw my weight back at the same time I accelerate to get it to power wheelie in 2nd. In 1st, it's easy as pie, 2nd and 3rd, not for me without really throwing my weight back and even then, it's not coming up real fast. At first I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong based on what everyone was saying in these threads, then I realized/chalked it up to my weight... esp after hearing how little some of you guys are ;)

Reactions: jcfz6r1

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bingo! At 260lbs, wheelies aren't typically easy for me to do unless I get really aggressive with the throttle in a low gear.

Best wheelie bike I ever had was a KLR650. I could actually get that bike to the balance point and shift to second gear and keep going. Even got to the point where I could "steer" a little bit while on the back tire by shifting my weight. The good thing was that while doing that, the old KLR was probably only doing 15mph. On a bike like the FZ-09, you whack the throttle and before you know it you're at warp speed and have to act REALLY FAST if it starts to get away from you.

If you want to learn to wheelie, get an old dirt bike or dual sport and practice. Even if you drop it it won't hurt it.

Of course, you could always get a little scooter and do like this guy:

·
Registered
957 Posts
at 7k it should come right up without using the clutch. use more throttle and cover the rear brake.
Luke, I have to disagree with you because I have the same problem as asphalt and I've TRIED and TRIED to make it happen, always in A mode. One thing no one usually talks about in these threads is rider weight and position on the bike when trying to bring the front up. I'm a bigger guy at 230lbs in gear and I have to really throw my weight back at the same time I accelerate to get it to power wheelie in 2nd. In 1st, it's easy as pie, 2nd and 3rd, not for me without really throwing my weight back and even then, it's not coming up real fast. At first I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong based on what everyone was saying in these threads, then I realized/chalked it up to my weight... esp after hearing how little some of you guys are ;)
Not if you've properly upgraded the suspension. After replacing the shock I could not get it to come up without VERY deliberate action. The poor squat characteristics of the stock rear shock are part of the reason the bike wheelies so easily. Replacing it with one that doesn't suck sort of kills that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Okay so here's the deal...

I'm guessing it's just because I'm in CO and at about 6,000ft elevation (and therefore lose like 20% of the power) but my bike doesn't really power wheelie... I can EASILY clutch it up in 1st and it takes work but I can clutch it up in 2nd. Any other thoughts?

(still stock suspension)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm 210 with maxed preload/dampening... Can easily power wheelie in 1st and 2nd.... 3rd if I hit a bump :D

........ which is not good considering wheeling is incredibly against the law in Ontario, Canada. Lost license, road side suspension, up to $10,000 fine, inpound fees, lawyer fees, etc.... Bad idea.

·
Registered
187 Posts
everything you need to know about wheelies ;) start saving money for replacing that clutch, you'll need to in a few thousand miles

·
Registered
277 Posts
Same here. I think the clubman bars have a lot more weight forward, combined with the stiffer Penske rear and my fat ass I really have to try hard to get the front up in 2nd. 1st will come up easy though and sometimes violently!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't want to sound like the "safety first" guy, but wheelie are a "feel" thing. Someone can tell you how to do it, but if you follow it to a tee and don't feel comfortable, it's going to go wrong... guaranteed. If you're dead set on doing clutch ups ( and there's nothing wrong with wheelies, they're a blast) learn at your own pace. Blip the clutch and pop the front wheel up a bit. If that feels comfortable, raise the rpm range and the front wheel will pop up a bit more. By raising the range I mean steadily accelerate to about 5500 rpms and with the clutch pulled in rev to 6500 and rapidly release the clutch. This should only lightly pop the front wheel up. When you are ready rev up to 7500 and release the clutch. Be warned that clutch ups will pop the front wheel up abruptly. Cover the rear brake and be ready for it to literally jump up. And most importantly, don't get caught.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Like everything on a bike it is all about where you look.

The further ahead you look the longer your wheel stand will be.

Lock your eyes onto something as far away as you can, before you reach that point change your lock on point and continue.

I pop the clutch in first or second if I want a high slow one and just use the second gear power with a quick flick into third for faster ones.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts