Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

Its time for a 2nd project on my fz.....

The signs that I had was that my clutch was slipping at about 80mph in 3rd gear. When I wanted the bike to go, it never go... This problem has been getting worst like in 6th gear at 60mph with acceleration and max speed limited to 98mph. During these problems my oil turned a cloudy brown color. I could not see the silver part thru the sight gauge.
This was under really hard abuse to my clutch by doing clutch up wheelies. So this could have cause this problem to happen. I am not telling you to stop having fun or anything. After I get my bike back up and running, this wont stop me from doing more clutch ups.

So first picture is the clutch basket. I circled cracks that I found, also you can see a piece of the basket missing and part of the friction plate missing....
Auto part Gear Engine Rotor Clutch

This picture you can see a piece of the friction plate missing again. Only a small piece right?
Auto part Hand Finger Machine

This one is crazy. This roll of was missing 75% of the plate itself! Thats all that I pulled from that stack....
Gear Auto part Rotor

The piece of the basket and some friction plates are in my oil pan. I have to drop the pan to take all of the parts out... The reason why my oil was cloudy was because some of the plates got ground up and thats what turned the oil cloudy.... I ordered all the parts from bike bandit and I am just waiting for the reassembly.... For now I need to ride my sumo.......

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
What the hell, I have my bike up to 5k miles. I'm not sure if I should be worried, or if your doing something wrong... F!?*!?*

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sorry mate, you're being a bit rough on the equipment....

Perhaps grab someone you know, that knows how to do clutch ups, to help you revise your technique.

Were you at least getting some decent air? ~looking for a silver lining............

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Its pretty impressive to break frictions that way...they normally just burn.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Back in my youth I did the same to my beloved Honda CBX.......the clutch debris ended up destroying the oil pump and the engine was.......toast!!........be kind and ride with mechanical sympathy.......wheelies can be had with little stress on the 09....

·
Registered
315 Posts
When you are knocking drive teeth off the basket, and breaking friction plates, that is beyond severe abuse.
Trust me, I have owned 63 bikes to date, and raced many of them. Tearing up a basket like that, is not typical.

I have done it, but never kept running the bike, to the point of grinding up pieces, and sending them through the oiling system.
*Not good, on your part.
I can imagine that your bearings, are not in the best of shape at this point. There is a limit, to how much crap, an oil filter will catch.
Simply replacing clutch parts, may not be enough, only time will tell.

·
Registered
336 Posts
What are we talking about here on abuse? I do a lot of wheelies but just lightly and quickly pull in on the clutch to lift the front, will that result in this happening? Or is this something well beyond what I'm doing? I really like my wheelies so this gives me pause.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Are you doing burnouts too? I've never used my machines as disposable entertainment, your mileage will vary.

Ride Safe
If you are asking me……no, I don't do burnouts. I'm too cheap and don't want to shorten the lifespan of my tires. Now shortening the life of the fork seals….that's a different story;-)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I almost always use the clutch to pop the front end up. Much more predictable and controllable way to start a wheelie than just goosing it IMO. I'm not talking about bouncing it off the rev limiter and dumping the clutch, which it looks like the OP was doing, just a split-second one-finger slip while rolling on. The stock clutch will handle that no problem.

·
Registered
153 Posts
After I get my bike back up and running, this wont stop me from doing more clutch ups.

So this is the most disturbing part of this post for me. Its not sufficient that your technique is abusing your bike and hurting your engine, but you seem intent on continuing without consideration for learning how to improve your technique.

So please just bear in mind the level of damage done may have caused particles to travel through the entire engine already. I doubt if an oil filter would have caught all of it. My advice would be to not just replace the parts, but make sure you find all the broken bits! Pull the oil pan to see if any sediment is there... of course change oil and filter, do do a thorough flush of the oil passages.

Next time you do this, it would be a good idea to stop at the first signs of slipping, and not wait till things get to this stage.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts