Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a very low mile 2014 FZ-09 and I am in love with the bike. My only concern is that in comparison to other FZ-09 that I have been around, my clutch tension feels to be about 2x as heavy. I have removed the lower return spring and pulled the lever to see if maybe that was the issue and it is not. I am curious to see if anyone has any insight as to why it may be so firm. Does the 2017+ FZ-09 slipper clutch have a lesser tension than the 14-16?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I used the search function and I couldn't come up with anything that helped me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The slipper clutch only uses 3 springs compared to 6 in original. Clutch pull is lighter. I put a slipper clutch in my 2016 and it's easier especially in traffic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! Would you give me some direction as to where I can get the clutch and any other necessary components to do this? Any idea on roughly how much it would cost me to make this happen? Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought my kit from a forum member here. It was a kit from Parts shark.com. they put together a kit with the right components that you swap in. This kit uses some of the original steels and frictions, so if you have alot of miles you might want to spring for new ones. Just search for xsr900 slipper clutch in FZ09 on thus forum.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
There are several threads on installing the slipper clutch. Search is your friend.

I suggest a couple of things Tory in the interim:
1) make sure the clutch lever is rotated around the handlebar in the correct angle so that when you are sitting on the bike in your riding position, that your wrist is straight when you squeeze the clutch.
2) adjust the clutch lever so that when you reach your fingers out to the lever, the lever meets your fingers in the first joint of your fingers.

The above two adjustments make sure the lever is adjusted to use all your strength the best for operating the clutch.

3) make sure the clutch lever is not binding at the pivot.

4) make sure the cable does not need lube or replacing as the cable should move very easily inside the cable sleeve.

5) are you using stock levers or aftermarket? The aftermarket levers might not have the correct lever ratios, especially some cheaper "eBay" levers. If the aftermarket levers are short style levers, that further increases the lever effort required.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a very low mile 2014 FZ-09 and I am in love with the bike. My only concern is that in comparison to other FZ-09 that I have been around, my clutch tension feels to be about 2x as heavy. I have removed the lower return spring and pulled the lever to see if maybe that was the issue and it is not. I am curious to see if anyone has any insight as to why it may be so firm. Does the 2017+ FZ-09 slipper clutch have a lesser tension than the 14-16?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I used the search function and I couldn't come up with anything that helped me.

make sure the clutch cable routing has not been changed. make sure there are no kinks in the cable anywhere. lube the cable.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i don't how much the slipper clutch will cost you, but another option would be "easy pull lever" by impaktech. the first thing i would do is fix the problem and not mask it with alternatives.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
I lubed the cable on my '14 and the lever pull became easier. I'd try a new cable before a new clutch. Get a wrist exerciser too. 20 x each hand three times a day.

·
Super Moderator
4,265 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts