Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Pls tell me if sound in link is normal?

Recently (about 1000km ago) needle bearing on clutch was changed on warranty by dealer (I claimed vibrations and loud clutch, clutch is quieter now, but vibrations remain - i think it is rubber damper in clutch basket related)

Before replacement and right after I didn't noticed any like this. Maybe it's because currently it is colder outside (10degC), or it is only coincidence.

The sound gone with reaching operating temp, or after riding. Should I call dealer to fix it or it is normal thing?

I can add that I have not small vibrations on handlebar which lead to blurry mirrors in 5krpm+ range.

Thanks for help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, but before the dealer's intervention there wasn't this sound.
The only thing I want to know is that if this is typical sound or not. Warranty period has almost finished for this bike and if dealer will answer me yes, this is normal I want be sure if he is right or simply want to get rid of me.

I compared today mt07 and fz6 which were not started by a longer period of time and both started without any additional sounds.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have about 7500 miles (12,000Km) on the bike. It has made the same noise from new.
The worst noise came when the CCT failed, completely drowned out the clutch rattle.
Video posted on YouTube
Engine sounds a bit rough, but the fuel is like 2 1/2 years old. Trying to burn it off carefully as the octane has dropped and it will "ping" all to easily.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, sounds very similar, I think impact could has fact that dealer changed oil during 10000km service (on the same service bearing was replaced), and maybe oil (I think Yamalube) has a little impact to sticking plates (previous owner used Liqui Molly fully synthetic) - this could be explanation.
Thanks a lot @RichBinAZ for video!

About vibration investigation:
In case if I wanna open clutch cover to inspect friction plates and outer basket integrity, it's obligatory to replace the cover gasket?
Its not a case that I want to save a money on that, but i had literally 9 days to find out max of faults which could be covered by warranty. Personally I don't trust dealer and their findings, that's why I want to be fully informed before I will go to them.
Looking into how yama shop working here its impossible to order the gasket and get it in 9 days. The question is if reusing is temporarily acceptable? Will it leak?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Looking into how yama shop working here its impossible to order the gasket and get it in 9 days. The question is if reusing is temporarily acceptable? Will it leak?
I've reused the clutch cover gasket before and it didn't leak, but I had a spare on hand just in case. If you don't damage it, I think you'll probably be okay.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I can't pinpoint what that sound is, but it's definitely not normal in my opinion. I think the fact that it didn't make that sound when new further reinforces that idea. Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
As I said yesterday I started fz6n which was not run by at least 2 months, so all oil can run off to oil pan - machine it's totally quiet, a very very little noticable chatter on operating temp, zero clutch vibration on handlebar. All noises generated by engine are on low level, very smooth. Very well enginered engine in one word.

Funny that fz6n in stock seems to has the same mirrors like mine xsr900, only difference seems to be chrom finish vs black finish.

Sadly all torque on fz6n which I got used to on cars or mt07 is above 8krpm, so city riding is not so exciting. But in case of vibration it is night and day difference. Sure, there are some vibrations about 5krpm but above it is smooth, view in mirror is clear, even in this vibey rpms is much smoother than xsr. Slow riding is also more comfy even if fz6 has on-off throttle reputation. Ok, but it is comparising 3vs4 cylinders, so...

Once when I will have an answer from a dealer I will share with you for sure. I'm glad that more people confirm me that sound is not normal, which align with mine feeling.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Ok, sounds very similar, I think impact could has fact that dealer changed oil during 10000km service (on the same service bearing was replaced), and maybe oil (I think Yamalube) has a little impact to sticking plates (previous owner used Liqui Molly fully synthetic) - this could be explanation.
Wrong I have always used Yamalube in all my Yamahas and have never experienced any oil related problems and or clutch problems so look further than oil related..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here is my 2c worth with a background in automotive engineering and automotive studies ........

There are literally hunderds of components, all machined/cast within individual tolerances in just the clutch and gearbox section. When you pull in the clutch and the noise lessens it's because you then isolate some of the gearbox and clutch components, although the gears still lightly rotate which is obvious when you select 1st from neutral - kerrrunk!
I've found the selection from neutral improved after using Motul semi synthetic oil, rather than fully synth.

Coupled to the the cocophany of whirrings and clunks, you have the design of thin wall casings to amplify noise, that's why there is sound deadening under the outer plastic engine covers on some models. If you ever want to hear an outrageously, noisy engine, tune into a KTM with ultra thin wall, magnesium casings - you'd think it was a John Deere/Massey Fergusson/JCB (delete as appropriate).

I'd go to your dealer, log your complaint (that way when the warranty is out you'll have made your mark) and go enjoy your fine bike. I used to get hot under the collar with the straight-cut whine in 3rd and 6th in a narrow rev range but rationalised it by asking myself WTF, there's a lot going on in there.....................................

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thx @dandywarhol, I also have a period in automotive industry, in quality dept. So it is known to me that components can differ, and give at the and two different products, both within tolerances.
I started second topic to not mix here vibrations issue and clutch sound.
Also I issued formulary to the dealer, and I will bring them bike tomorrow or in Saturday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I left bike at dealer. On warm engine was not possible to recreate the sound, so I showed them the same video like you i firs post. Dealer mechanic said it is normal sound, and comes from bearing which is in clutch plate. But still there is no answer why it occure now, and not before...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts