Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys as the title says what clutch kits are recommended and which are garbage? My brothers FZ slips a tad in 5th+ in A mode. Looking for something that's a little stiffer

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I would go with Yamaha's ...I put a set of EBC and their springs in my FZR600 and it went to junk in 150 miles..."and that was easy miles no clutch ups or drag racing"....started slipping ..removed it and found that the springs had collapsed and where out of spec.. and was harder than shit to get a refund and return with full money back.... they said they where used .. and I said no shit how else would I know it was slipping !! So no more aftermarket clutches for me I will stick with Genuine Yamaha...

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hey guys as the title says what clutch kits are recommended and which are garbage? My brothers FZ slips a tad in 5th+ in A mode. Looking for something that's a little stiffer
I've had good luck with barrnets kit but the clutch pull is tough ..Fixed that with the r3 push lever

·
Registered
585 Posts
Is it the clutch or rear tire slipping??

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it the clutch or rear tire slipping??
It's the clutch and it's not terrible just in higher gears in A mode when you roll into it. It slips through the torque curve and grabs again closer to redline when the tq starts falling off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
OEM... you might be surprised, usually ends up around the same price or cheaper as an aftermarket kit. No ridiculous clutch pull and usually the most durable. I went through 4 or 5 different brands drag racing my R1, went back to Yamaha clutch parts. They were cheaper, lasted the longest, and had the easiest clutch pull.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Reactions: Newguy123

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just put in a parts shark slipper clutch. It only comes with parts necessary to switch over. It changes three friction and 1steel. My clutch pack was not worn so I was able to reuse and change out only the parts needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just put in a parts shark slipper clutch. It only comes with parts necessary to switch over. It changes three friction and 1steel. My clutch pack was not worn so I was able to reuse and change out only the parts needed.
Sorry to bump such an old thread. The clutch on my 2015 FJ-09 is shot, so I ordered this parts shark kit and see it only comes with the parts necessary to change over, and I need all new plates. How do I find out what I need to switch over? I found a cutaway for a 2018 MT-09 and was going to use those parts, but it appears there are 3 different versions (T1.6, T2.0 and T2.3) of plate #14 in the cutaway diagrams (I can't post links or pics as this is my first post)

Plate, Clutch 1 UR (T1.6): BR9-16324-00-00

Plate, Clutch 2 UR (T2.0): 5VY-16325-00-00

Plate, Clutch 2 UR (T2.3): 4B1-16325-00-00

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Sorry to bump such an old thread. The clutch on my 2015 FJ-09 is shot, so I ordered this parts shark kit and see it only comes with the parts necessary to change over, and I need all new plates. How do I find out what I need to switch over? I found a cutaway for a 2018 MT-09 and was going to use those parts, but it appears there are 3 different versions (T1.6, T2.0 and T2.3) of plate #14 in the cutaway diagrams (I can't post links or pics as this is my first post)

Plate, Clutch 1 UR (T1.6): BR9-16324-00-00

Plate, Clutch 2 UR (T2.0): 5VY-16325-00-00

Plate, Clutch 2 UR (T2.3): 4B1-16325-00-00
Those are three options to get the clutch thickness with-in spec ....does not show doing this in my 2015 yamaha manual but it does for the factory slipper clutch on the 17and up that I installed shows the thickness should be 42.7~43.5mm ( 1.68~1.71 in ) this measurement is made by having the steels and fibers stacked then make the measurement..out of spec use one of the other steel plate you have listed until you are in spec.. Hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Those are three options to get the clutch thickness with-in spec ....does not show doing this in my 2015 yamaha manual but it does for the factory slipper clutch on the 17and up that I installed shows the thickness should be 42.7~43.5mm ( 1.68~1.71 in ) this measurement is made by having the steels and fibers stacked then make the measurement..out of spec use one of the other steel plate you have listed until you are in spec.. Hope this helps
Thank you so much! I ordered the 5VY-16325 as that's what all the other plates are in the 2015. I'll measure the thickness. I wonder if I could sub in my least worn old plate if I'm on the thick side.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Thank you so much! I ordered the 5VY-16325 as that's what all the other plates are in the 2015. I'll measure the thickness. I wonder if I could sub in my least worn old plate if I'm on the thick side.
Unless the plates are abused blue in color or out of spec in thickness or warped i dont see why you could not...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts