Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
4,688 Posts
If you put the pressure plate in backwards like I did the first time on my bike, it won't work, trust me. I put the one in my wife's bike right and it was perfect. That is why I saved the picture.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If you put the pressure plate in backwards like I did the first time on my bike, it won't work, trust me. I put the one in my wife's bike right and it was perfect. That is why I saved the picture.
The pressure plate itself is in correctly but the triangular metal plate was in flipped upside down like you pointed out. It’s unfortunately still not working. Do you know when you put the clutch back together did you need to restart the bike before the clutch started working properly? I put it together and tried engaging the clutch after putting the cover back on but it’s still not releasing the gear…

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Alright here it is. I’m putting the clutch back together and it won’t disengage the gears. Tell me what I’m doing wrong!

Disregard the crispy metal plate at the end - that’s the old plate as I bent the one I ordered - getting a new one tomorrow.

· Registered
3,356 Posts
Alright here it is. I’m putting the clutch back together and it won’t disengage the gears. Tell me what I’m doing wrong!

Disregard the crispy metal plate at the end - that’s the old plate as I bent the one I ordered - getting a new one tomorrow.
The Pull rod is not engaging on the cable lever. You should not be able to move the clutch cable lever by hand with-out alot of force. Yours is moving to easily. Put some grease on the Pull rod so as engagement to the lever will help to line up...

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The Pull rod is not engaging on the cable lever. You should not be able to move the clutch cable lever by hand with-out alot of force. Yours is moving to easily. Put some grease on the Pull rod so as engagement to the lever will help to line up...
Are you suggesting placing grease on the pull rod teeth? Is there a grease you’d recommend?

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Yes used lithium soap base grease on the teeth and on the base of the pull rod to keep it from moving while attaching the cover .
So even with the cover completely on you think there’s enough wiggle room for the teeth to not align with the connecting teeth? Seems very snug. But placing grease on the base of the pull rod is a smart move…

· Registered
3,356 Posts
So even with the cover completely on you think there’s enough wiggle room for the teeth to not align with the connecting teeth? Seems very snug. But placing grease on the base of the pull rod is a smart move…
Keep playing with it until you can place the side cover on with-out any bolts placed and then pull on the clutch lever a bit and it will push the cover outward then you know they are lined up .

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Keep playing with it until you can place the side cover on with-out any bolts placed and then pull on the clutch lever a bit and it will push the cover outward then you know they are lined up .
Yes it does do this every time I place the cover on and try to align the arrow and dot on the cable arm. I cycle through and it pushes the cover outward every time…But once I have the cover bolted on there isnt enough resistance when I push on the cable arm to disengage the gear…it just pushes in toward the body (simulating what the clutch lever at the handlebar would be doing) and the only resistance is coming from the spring that’s on the rod that keeps the arm in the correct position…

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Think I’ve got it to work. It was ultimately the positioning of the clutch arm I believe as the clutch cable didn’t have enough tension to pull the clutch free. I mistakenly thought the positioning of the arm needed to be aligned with the arrow and dot solely through the tension of the arm spring whereas it actually needed to be completely taut with the cable fighting against the pull of the spring on the rod to meet the dot with the arrow.

Thanks everyone, if there’s any further issues I’ll give an update.

· Registered
714 Posts
Just the the cable lever arm next time instead of trying to line everything up at once. Easy to put the cover on with the rod in place as the rod doesn't have to index in any certain way. Then snap the cable lever arm back on.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts