Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, there is a problem with the clutch on my yamaha MT-09A (2015 model), it makes strange sounds but it works: it rattles, makes noise, but when I press it or go to neutral, the sound disappears, and the sound also becomes normal on the go after 4-5 thousand rpm. I removed the lid, checked the clutches - they are in good condition, but the basket and the inside part of it are making sounds. Who can help me what the problem might be? I made a short video. Thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hmm... How many miles? It's already 6 years old. Since you have gone this far, might as well replace all that scheisse.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I can't comment on the video, but there have been clutch basket issues on older model years.

That said, some rattling in neutral is common on these bikes. My 2018 rattles in neutral until I pull in the clutch, and many other owners have reported the same thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't comment on the video, but there have been clutch basket issues on older model years.

That said, some rattling in neutral is common on these bikes. My 2018 rattles in neutral until I pull in the clutch, and many other owners have reported the same thing.
In the first message I did not write exactly, there is also a rattling sound in neutral, but it becomes much quieter when i pull the clutch. The weather was fine today and I filmed what it sounds like on the go. How bad do you think everything is? I'm starting to think that this sound from the gearbox...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone, there is a problem with the clutch on my yamaha MT-09A (2015 model), it makes strange sounds but it works: it rattles, makes noise, but when I press it or go to neutral, the sound disappears, and the sound also becomes normal on the go after 4-5 thousand rpm. I removed the lid, checked the clutches - they are in good condition, but the basket and the inside part of it are making sounds. Who can help me what the problem might be? I made a short video. Thanks in advance:)

2018 MT 09 9000 mil same noise as yours, ignore it. I am saying this because after the bike warms up the noise fades away and this is totally consistent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2018 MT 09 9000 mil same noise as yours, ignore it. I am saying this because after the bike warms up the noise fades away and this is totally consistent.
Hi, have you seen the second video? How long do you drive with this sound? I also noticed that after warming up, the first gear turns on very hard, the motorcycle pulls straight forward (I tried to unscrew the clutch adjusting bolt in order to squeeze the clutch as much as possible - but this had no effect). And this sound really disappears sometimes, although I did not notice the connection with the engine temperature

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same noise on 2017 mt09 , after some research i think its normal
Hi, how long have you been driving with this sound?
Yes, there is something similar in this video, but I am more confused by the rattling sound that a motorcycle makes on the move in the range of 1500-5000 rpm approximately
Is it possible to shoot a short video of what your clutch sounds like? It would help me a lot. I'm afraid that my sound is like the initial stage of this problem:

·
Registered
635 Posts
From the 2nd video it seems like your engine would benefit from a throttle balance. That should make it less chuggy.
The rattle is fairly common and is either the clutch or the CCT.
To avoid the thump into 1st gear, I try to remember to put it in 1st before starting.
Any rattle after 1st gear, clutch in is probably the CCT, but get the throttle balance done first - it may help smooth things out

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From the 2nd video it seems like your engine would benefit from a throttle balance. That should make it less chuggy.
The rattle is fairly common and is either the clutch or the CCT.
To avoid the thump into 1st gear, I try to remember to put it in 1st before starting.
Any rattle after 1st gear, clutch in is probably the CCT, but get the throttle balance done first - it may help smooth things out
Thanks, good idea, I'm on my way to the yamaha service for diagnostics next week. Let's see what they say, I'll also ask them to do throttle balance. I will write here what the diagnostics revealed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, Back in January i bought a 2015 MT09 with 58K kms ( 36Kmiles) on it. Same noisy clutch as is common on MT09's.
Initially I was concerned about it but after searching found it was quite common.
As an engineer and long time biker i wanted to at least diagnose the issue. As far as i can tell it seemed to be the thrust bearing (part 4 in pic)which is a radial ball bearing not a thrust bearing and the clearance between the bearing inner dia and the pull rod (part 3 in pic) However if the pull rod were rattling and causing the noise I would expect wear in the bore in which the pull rod sits but the wear , even after 36K, was minimal.
Note in the image that Yamaha recommend lithium soap grease on assembly. Considering its location that grease wont remain in situ very long.

After a very close inspection i couldn't really identify anything causing the issue. After 36K miles anything worn would certainly leave tell tale wear signs.
In the end i decided to replace the clutch with the slipper/ assist upgrade clutch from the XSR. At 36K miles it seemed the best choice . XSR slip/assist clutch
That significantly reduced the noise and gave a great reduction in clutch lever pressure.
BTW great kit and only took 3 hours to carefully install ! For the money and the fact its all OEM parts i thought the price was worth it.
Even after the "heart stopping" freight cost and import duty i had to pay.

I have also noticed on a couple of youtube vids that there is an upgraded casing that has internal ( noise) dampers to reduce the "rattle" .
New clutch casing - dampers
It would seem , certainly after all these years producing the same bike/engine, that Yamaha are quite happy with the design and have decided to deal
with the noise rather than the root cause. Im confident that if there were a simple solution to the clutch noise Yamaha would have implemented it by now!

@ VANES - Please do share the findings of the Yam tech.

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, Back in January i bought a 2015 MT09 with 58K kms ( 36Kmiles) on it. Same noisy clutch as is common on MT09's.
Initially I was concerned about it but after searching found it was quite common.
As an engineer and long time biker i wanted to at least diagnose the issue. As far as i can tell it seemed to be the thrust bearing (part 4 in pic)which is a radial ball bearing not a thrust bearing and the clearance between the bearing inner dia and the pull rod (part 3 in pic) However if the pull rod were rattling and causing the noise I would expect wear in the bore in which the pull rod sits but the wear , even after 36K, was minimal.
Note in the image that Yamaha recommend lithium soap grease on assembly. Considering its location that grease wont remain in situ very long. View attachment 164085

After a very close inspection i couldn't really identify anything causing the issue. After 36K miles anything worn would certainly leave tell tale wear signs.
In the end i decided to replace the clutch with the slipper/ assist upgrade clutch from the XSR. At 36K miles it seemed the best choice . XSR slip/assist clutch
That significantly reduced the noise and gave a great reduction in clutch lever pressure.
BTW great kit and only took 3 hours to carefully install ! For the money and the fact its all OEM parts i thought the price was worth it.

I have also noticed on a couple of youtube vids that there is an upgraded casing that has internal ( noise) dampers to reduce the "rattle" .
It would seem , certainly after all these years producing the same bike/engine, that Yamaha are quite happy with the design and have decided to deal
with the noise rather than the root cause. Im confident that if there were a simple solution to the clutch noise Yamaha would have implemented it by now!

Cheers
Thanks for the share! Have been thinking about doing the slipper clutch mod on my 2015 for a while. Just waiting for the clutch to need replacing. I bought the bike at 35km, now at 41km but still going strong. Did you find any good guides for doing the mod? I remember seeing one by a Canadian guy. Removing the boss nut ( i think it was this) looked pretty serious stuff.. flames and 2m long extensions :)
Since fitting a quick shifter though, the clutch mod has dropped down the list. Cheers

Edit: Sorry, I see you also posted a link for the guide. much appreciated!
Double Edit: The Canadian guy even commented on the Youtube giude above haha, then I saw I had comments on the Canadians Youtube Post... I think that Boomerang just hit me on the back of the head! That nut from hell is what is scaring me off from the job to be honest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Note in the image that Yamaha recommend lithium soap grease on assembly. Considering its location that grease wont remain in situ very long. View attachment 164085

Cheers
Thank you for such a detailed answer. Yes, I think the thrust backlash can cause a certain noise. I wonder no one tried to assemble the cover and start the engine without it? In addition to the noise, I am also confused by the rather hard engagement of the first gear, as if the clutch is not fully squeezed out (it was set according to the manual - the marks coincide when pressed, besides, I tried to tighten the cable more than the norm - the effect is the same). In some videos, I hear a similar sound, while in others, the inclusion is very quiet. So in any case, I'm going to show the bike to the dealer, because I don't know how it worked when it was new. I will definitely write here about the diagnostic results.

Yes, this slipper clutch kit seems like a good solution if the problem is the clutch. If something needs to be changed in the clutch, I will order a slipper. Thanks for links)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Judging by the clutch i took out and the OEM factory clutch pack measurements i could have probably got another 10 or 15K out of my stock clutch.
You can just perform the upgrade and reuse your existing plates assuming there's some life left in em. I've seen it done on YT but cant find the vid at the mo. ( think it was a FZ09 tourer)

There are at least 3 or 4 good You Tube vids on the clutch upgrade . I guess its down to watching them all and seeing which one helps you most.
Couple of things that come up in most vids
The main 30mm nut. Aside from bending out the punch down security for which you need a suitably thin chisel ( converted old punch) or sacrificial cheapo screw driver the 2 main points in removing the nut are

1/ Make sure the clutch basket is properly secured and cant rotate. The best solution is a good fitting basket clamp tool. If you don't buy one maybe there's a kind biker in your area will lend you one. They are a universal tool ( even the Yam OEM one is universal !!)

2/ Forget brut force! use heat. Try and focus the heat on the nut rather than the surrounding area. There isn't an oil seal behind it so don't worry too much. jsut evenly heat the whole nut in a circular motion. I removed mine with an 800 mm long torque wrench and an old impact socket The trick is to hold the wrench by its handle and support the head where it connects to the socket / extension bar. Only that way can you exert proper axial force.
Just putting the socket on the nut then hanging on the torque wrench doesn't work as most of the force is wasted as the socket inevitably tries to "twist " off the nut.
Start with a moderate amount of heat and if that doesn't work apply some more.
Once removed be sure to let everything cool down slowly DO NOT under any circumstances use water or blowers to cool it. WHile waiting double check the clutch /friction plate sequence :)

And..... Aside from paying attention to the sequence of the clutch plates / friction disks the other main area YT people are confused about is the order and orientation of the first 2 rings that go into the clutch basket prior to the clutch friction plates. And yes it does make a difference !!
Below is a screen grab of the exploded view which clearly shows the correct ring orientation ( highlighted in red).
So plain ring ( Item 12) goes in first then the cushion ring ( item 11) next with the convex side inwards
XSR clutch.jpg

In my opinion this guy does a great job of explaining the sequence MT09 /XSR clutch parts sequence
Unfortunately he gets the cushion washer in the wrong way round but still his overall sequence and explanation is great.

Really looking forward to hearing what your "YAM" tech says
If you do perform the upgrade Good luck and if you do have anymore questions let me know and ill see if i can answer them
Cheers

·
Registered
648 Posts
1/ Make sure the clutch basket is properly secured and cant rotate. The best solution is a good fitting basket clamp tool. If you don't buy one maybe there's a kind biker in your area will lend you one. They are a universal tool ( even the Yam OEM one is universal !!)
Yes I made my own:
PS the naked flame from the gas soldering iron was perfectly adequate to soften the thread locking compound on the clutch hub nut.

2/ Forget brut force! use heat. Try and focus the heat on the nut rather than the surrounding area. There isn't an oil seal behind it so don't worry too much. jsut evenly heat the whole nut in a circular motion. I removed mine with an 800 mm long torque wrench and an old impact socket The trick is to hold the wrench by its handle and support the head where it connects to the socket / extension bar. Only that way can you exert proper axial force.
Just putting the socket on the nut then hanging on the torque wrench doesn't work as most of the force is wasted as the socket inevitably tries to "twist " off the nut.
Start with a moderate amount of heat and if that doesn't work apply some more.
Once removed be sure to let everything cool down slowly DO NOT under any circumstances use water or blowers to cool it. WHile waiting double check the clutch /friction plate sequence :)
And..... Aside from paying attention to the sequence of the clutch plates / friction disks the other main area YT people are confused about is the order and orientation of the first 2 rings that go into the clutch basket prior to the clutch friction plates.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello everyone. Today I was at the yamaha dealer, they listened my motorcycle and said that everything is normal, that new FZ09 are being brought to them: some are quieter, and some are rattling out of the box and the fact that the first first gear turns on so hard is also normal. I just compared it to my friend's motorcycle, which worked softer. In addition, when the bike warms up well, extraneous sounds become quieter, so I'll just ride:)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Hello everyone. Today I was at the yamaha dealer, they listened my motorcycle and said that everything is normal, that new FZ09 are being brought to them: some are quieter, and some are rattling out of the box and the fact that the first first gear turns on so hard is also normal. I just compared it to my friend's motorcycle, which worked softer. In addition, when the bike warms up well, extraneous sounds become quieter, so I'll just ride:)
Get you a screaming passenger to sit on back while you shred, you won't hear anything anymore. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts