Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,
I am about to finish my first 1000 mi :). I really love this bike.
INCREDIBLE forum here ;)
I would like to ask you about the strange sensation for clutch + gearbox. Since first day, I noticed that it is almost imposible to engage first gear without hearing that CLANK noise !!!.....and it is difficult to change without any noise. I have been riding motorcycles for more than 30 years and I like to change softly....without noises :(
I noticed that it is softer if you change in upper rpms...But it is like the clutch doesn’t disengage enough. That noise decreases a little if you tighten a little more your clutch cable....(being careful not tight too much to make it slip )... That, gives me the idea that the clutch drum, doesn’t open enough to free the discs (if you have seen that motorcycle beautiful piece, you know what I’m talking about). It is known that oil quality also affects this. Mine carries the original Yamalube btw.
What do you think about it? Does the fact of making more miles, reduce this “CLANK”, as they gradually wear? What’s the opinion of riders who have rideen more their bikes?

Please, sorry for my English, I hope I have been clear.
I am looking forward to receiving your answers.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Welcome to the Machine! :cool:
Indeed, the Forum is the place for answers. Others will better answer this than me.
FYI... I'm running synthetic Yamalube... still noisy.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Same on my bike. I'm sure its normal

Reactions: cthouse

·
Registered
616 Posts
1k, have you changed your oil yet? How is the cable adjustment? You can always start it in gear, or start in neutral, shut down, put in gear, then re-start. In your years of riding, have you ridden a current Yamaha? I think this is pretty normal. I've got 8k on mine and first is still abrupt.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm running Amsoil 10w-40 right now (changed to it at about 3600 miles) and first gear still cranks, and second does a little bit as well. The rest of the gears are silent. I'm just guessing this is a really noisy bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. Let's see opinions about this.....
I wanted to know if the sound is just as strong with the passing of the miles....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1k, have you changed your oil yet? How is the cable adjustment? You can always start it in gear, or start in neutral, shut down, put in gear, then re-start. In your years of riding, have you ridden a current Yamaha? I think this is pretty normal. I've got 8k on mine and first is still abrupt.
Yes!!! have just changed oil + filter (600 mi service...).
It is my first big Yamaha....others were Kawasaki, Honda, and most were Suzukis. Honda has very smooth gearbox!.....it is not a new. But this bike is a REAL fun bike :eagerness:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
On a cold start I always had a clunk into first gear, both on the fz and my old Suzuki SV.

Pretty sure it's normal but bike noises and the fear of death make us motardchondriacts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On a cold start I always had a clunk into first gear, both on the fz and my old Suzuki SV.

Pretty sure it's normal but bike noises and the fear of death make us motardchondriacts
:rolleyes:motardchondriacts:rolleyes:
jaja......ok. But it is not only when it is cold. When it is warm, there is no way to avoid that noise....Even pressing before the clutch and accelerating to unstick the discs.....wait...and after that...CLANK! :mad:
As I can see, most of you have the same issue....So....let's enjoy it without worrying about noises :cool:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Mine doesn't do it all the time but it does sometimes when it's warm too.

If your oil level is good and you're changing it regularly and you have the appropriate amount of clutch free play (I adjust it to almost fit the black part of my Yamaha key in), I wouldn't worry

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Sorry, but I have not understood that....:(
i don't have the manual in front of me but i believe the clutch free play should be *edit* around 5mm (misspoke on this) it's about the thickness of the top part of your yamaha key - not the metal piece but the black piece that holds the keyring. i may my clutch free play about the distance of that thickness so it's an easy pre ride check - i take my key - i line it up with my clutch free play, check that off the list - check the oil, tires etc. and off i go.

yam1.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i don't have the manual in front of me but i believe the clutch free play should be between 8mm and 10mm? it's about the thickness of the top part of your yamaha key - not the metal piece but the black piece that holds the keyring. i may my clutch free play about the distance of that thickness so it's an easy pre ride check - i take my key - i line it up with my clutch free play, check that off the list - check the oil, tires etc. and off i go.

View attachment 9330
Ok beck. I tested just to overtighten the cable...justo to see if the noises decreases.....and it does. That's why i think that the clutch basket, doesn't free the discs enough... Just a doubt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you have no problem finding neutral then the clutch is releasing as it should. The clunk is just the nature of the beast.
Ride On, Ride Safe.
Yes, no problem with the Neutral, I agree with you.
.....jaja...yessssss, "the nature of the beast" :p

·
Registered
275 Posts
My clunk got a little bit better when I took almost all the slack out of the cable. As long as you have a tiny bit of freeplay with a cold engine it's enough, it will usually get looser when hot. This bike has more clutch drag and clunkiness than most bikes I've had or worked on.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts