Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is in the right spot. New to the forum and new to the FZ9.

Since this is my first street legal bike I may be overthinking this. However does anyone else's clutch not engage until the lever is 80%-90% released? On all my quads and dirt bikes the clutch will engage or at least start to engage about 25% released but on the FZ9 I have to let it way out before it grabs.

Is this normal? Can I adjust this to make it grab sooner? I'm still on break in with about 350 miles.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Try the adjustment screw/knurled knob right where the end of the cable goes into the lever.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
there is also an adjustment on the right side just before the cable connects to the clutch arm.

·
Registered
644 Posts
That sounds about right.
There should be a little free play at the lever under all riding conditions, bars turned either way and in all gears accelerating or decelerating. If you have that you are good.
You will like it when you come to stop and want to get into neutral, with this much clutch release you have a chance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds about right.
There should be a little free play at the lever under all riding conditions, bars turned either way and in all gears accelerating or decelerating. If you have that you are good.
You will like it when you come to stop and want to get into neutral, with this much clutch release you have a chance.
That's how I have it setup. Just takes a little getting use to is all.

Thanks for the help guys.

After a week I'm 550 miles into my break in, almost time for that first oil change. It'll be nice to not have to vary the RPMs all the time...haha

·
Registered
76 Posts
My clutch is the same way. I like it however, as the smallest grab possible allows me to switch gears. Makes for a fairly quick gear change for when I actually decide to use the clutch.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Switching gears is nice, it just took me a little while getting of the line smoothly. Use to the heavy clutch grabbing right away on my quad, lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts