Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The clutch cable is frayed and is to be replaced under warranty. Problem is its on back-order from Yamaha and dealer says will be at least 3 weeks. Anyone know of an aftermarket replacement? I've searched but come up with nothing :(

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Wow... that's kinda crazy.

sorry I can't help with leads on aftermarket options, but you could always make a stink at the dealership and have them pull a cable off of a bike sitting on the showroom floor... if they have one that is.

mind if I ask where it started fraying, and how many miles you have on it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have no other FZ09's in stock unfortunately so pulling a good cable not an option. It is letting go right at the lever. No warning, wasn't tight or anything. Just started getting loose and when I went to adjust found the damage. Only 3500km.

Auto part Hand Metal

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm at 4000km just check mine is good..but nice to know.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Checked mine too. I was a bit concerned that my perch adjuster was getting further and further out. I decided to roll it back in and adjust it down by the case. I have never had a bike that I had to adjust the clutch so much and that includes motocross bikes that I abused the clutch on. It has me a little concerned about the plate life.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Checked mine too. I was a bit concerned that my perch adjuster was getting further and further out. I decided to roll it back in and adjust it down by the case. I have never had a bike that I had to adjust the clutch so much and that includes motocross bikes that I abused the clutch on. It has me a little concerned about the plate life.
Actually, if the plates wear, your cable gets tighter not looser. When it gets looser and looser it usually is the cable losing strands.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Motion Pro makes custom cables that are usually about the same cost or even cheaper than OEM and generally are better quality.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
4000 miles on my bike and I usually power it up in second and hit third on the way up without using the clutch. Every blue moon I will flick the clutch in third gear to get it up, but very infrequently.

I rarely adjusted the clutch cable on my CBR954RR, and rode it the same way. My wife's R6S has had to adjust the play a bunch too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts