Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I got a used MT-09/ FZ-09 with around 26,500 miles/ 44,000km on the clock. The bike generally runs smooth but there is the clutch rattle in Neutral which I hear is relatively normal.

However, there is quite a pronounced and high frequency buzz/ vibrations through the foot-pegs when in 6th gear at 4000rpm (speedo reading around 96-100km/h equiavalent 60-62mph). It then smooths out above 4500rpm.

Could this be due to a more serious problem other than the usual characteristic of the engine? I.e. Clutch plates, clutch basket etc?

Would appreciate all the help I can get before my long road trip in July.

Thank you!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Might also want to check the cam chain tensioner is not malfunctioning. This has been a problem with the FZ. There are some aftermarket replacements which are manual and less prone to malfunction (around $80). Are you sure that the rattling is coming from the clutch?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Sounds to me like the "6th gear whine".

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Reactions: LouG and shamrock

·
Registered
103 Posts
Might also want to check the cam chain tensioner is not malfunctioning. This has been a problem with the FZ. There are some aftermarket replacements which are manual and less prone to malfunction (around $80). Are you sure that the rattling is coming from the clutch?
Agreed, this should be the first check. Put your ear to right side of engine and rev to 4000 rpm. If it sounds like a grinding/buzzing chain, probably the CCT. This would be good news in terms of diagnosis as it is an easy fix. Some dealers will even replace to another OEM one for free.

Sounds to me like the "6th gear whine".
This is more of a whine vs a vibration. Audibly anyways. Could still be what you're hearing

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
09's seem to have various harmonics going on, I've got used to it. It's like a modern RD350.

Reactions: Desert Rat

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi guys, I got a used MT-09/ FZ-09 with around 26,500 miles/ 44,000km on the clock. The bike generally runs smooth but there is the clutch rattle in Neutral which I hear is relatively normal.

However, there is quite a pronounced and high frequency buzz/ vibrations through the foot-pegs when in 6th gear at 4000rpm (speedo reading around 96-100km/h equiavalent 60-62mph). It then smooths out above 4500rpm.

Could this be due to a more serious problem other than the usual characteristic of the engine? I.e. Clutch plates, clutch basket etc?

Would appreciate all the help I can get before my long road trip in July.

Thank you!
One simple and many times overlooked source of vibration is the chain & sprockets. Make sure your chain is properly adjusted & lubed, and check the components for abnormal wear. As they get near their service limit these components can emit all kinds of funky harmonics thru the chassis at various speeds & RPM's.

·
Registered
245 Posts
A recent thread addressed the same concern. Simple check: When feeling the buzzing, put your fingers on the clutch lever and gently add a little pressure. Not enough to make it slip, but just slightly more than to take up the free-play. If the buzz stops, you are feeling the clutch basket that vibrates the same way on both my Yamahas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And also, should I be worried if the header colors are mismatched, meaning the Centre and Left ones are evenly heat-worn but the Right one is visibly less heat-worn and still retains some of its original shine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts