Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Clutch Bang? Transmission Bad?

20K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Poogamer69 
#1 ·
OK, so this has bothered me since day one. A few things actually....

I have other bikes, but this one seems to be a bit more clunkier than the others I have owned. From neutral to shifting into first gear, Im getting a loud clunk sound as the gear engages. Anyone else seem to think its a bit more than what it should be?

Second thing, while in first gear and clutch pulled in, while "coasting", when revving engine, I can feel the bike jerking forward somewhat.....all my experience tells me this shouldn't be happening.

Third, while having bike up on rear stand and revving while in neutral, why in the world is rear tire spinning???? Tried pulling in clutch too and rear tire still spins...

Do I have a problem here or is this something everyone is experiencing?

#3 ·
Wheelspin on the stand is normal. Clunk to first gear is normal for a Yamaha. Adjust the clutch out a bit by turning the thumbscrew at the cable juncture counterclockwise to decrease the engagement point. Mine lunges a little bit because of where I like my engagement point.

#6 ·
I have tried engagement points to both extremes and in the middle of those.

I may have to take to dealer and have them check it out. Something doesnt seem right with tranny.

When revving in first gear with clutch pulled in, I also get a slight "clunk" as if something is trying to turn but gets stopped. DOes not always do it all the time. I will need to re-evaluate to make sure oil is up to temp and see if it gets better. I only have around 320 miles on it. Hoping to get a good day of riding as soon as stupid weather cooperates.

#7 ·
I know the Clunk your talking about but mind only does it if im boasting like below 10 mph i pull my clutch in still rolling slow and rev it and it does that Clunk I dont know what it is still never really bothered me or affected anything else i got 9K On the bike now so i dont think its hurting anything ... Yet

#10 ·
I know the difference between a wet and dry clutch and how they work and i also know that the bang you get when you go from neutral to first it normal but the clunky shit it does when its coasting slowley like 5mph already in first with the clutch pulled in it does it when you rev the engine from throttle all the way off and back on a little you dont have to rev it much just a little bit and it feels like something its trying to move but if im going down the street at normal speeds say 45mph im im rolling and pull in my clutch and rev it the same way it does not do it. To be honest i didnt think much of it i dont really spend my time reving my engine when im going 5mph and thats the only time it did it so i just ignored it haha.

#9 ·
mines noisy, but so far I don't think it is a problem. it works great, just have to adjust the clutch and break it in. 800 miles so far

#14 ·
as far as I am concerned, bang the gears and twist the throttle! I am not a track guy, so I try to do it without getting arrested

#15 ·
I never start my bike in neutral so I never have a clunck going into gear. I leave it in gear parked. If setting overnight, I sit on bike and pull in the clutch, and rock bike back some to knock the clutch free. Very easy to do. Then start it. Imagine how many CLUNKS and jerks to the drive system I have eliminated over a life of a bike. Never had a transmission problem.

If it is cold, I stick it in neutral, let it warm up, kill it , then put in gear and restart. So I used the starter twice. It cheaper than fixing the trans.

you want the maximum disengagement you can have so adjust where the free play is barely there (no freeplay in cable not good). If you have added bulky grips then your not getting the full pull from the lever so look at that. Oil viscosity is part of the equation in colder climates. Thicker = more drag till warm.

Reactions: jasonk
#16 ·
Mine does exactly all those symptoms since new. Thought an oil change would help but I'm now on my third one (Yamalube 10W-40 / filter) without any improvement.

Strange thing is that the transmission dosen't clunk nor "drag" when the oil is somewhat cold (except from neutral to 1st gear) When the bike is in optimal temperature range the clunk is definitely more louder (2nd gear and up) and the clutch drag (clutch in and reving the engine in 1st gear) is strong enough to make me wonder is the clutch is completely removing power from engine.

What do you think?

Yamaha FZ09 / First bike and it make me smile like nothing else!

#17 ·
here is what I think
[video=dailymotion;x1egmsm]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1egmsm_dyno-run-2014-yamaha-fz-09_auto[/video]
if you think you have an issue get it checked out

#19 ·
sorry dude its all I got right now. My bike has loud clutch and clunking noise low, I don't think it is a problem. been worried about cam chain tensioner for almost 2 months
You cant baby this bike. I mean take it easy maybe till first oil change at about 100 miles or so or whatever, it is what it is. a fast bike that doesn't cost a lot .

#20 ·
Yeah with the clutch in at low revs i.e. idle or not much more Ill get a click/clack type noise when turning the throttle on/off and the bike jerks ever so slightly - it doesnt want to go forward but it does react. I found that really weird to being with but it hasnt caused any problems and isnt really an issue for me.

The Yamaha 1st gear clunk is pretty common, Ive had a few Yammies from varying years and they've all done that - I actually quite like it!

Its also common for a bike to still have its tyre spinning when on a stand with the clutch in...if however your sitting on it and your revving it and the bike wants to move forward/take off - thats an issue.

#21 ·
I thank everyone for commenting on this. Seems we all have the issues I was talking about at first post. Normal working conditions for the FZ sounds like. Now lets go out and enjoy this great bang for your buck bike!

#24 ·
I hate that "clunk" going into first gear from neutral...but unfortunately most new bikes do it. I've owned a few Suzuki's back in the late 80's that just "snicked" very quietly going into first gear....and I've ridden BMW's that clunked so loud I thought the transmission would fall out. Too bad the manufacturers don't spend more engineering money on making a decent and quiet transmission so the ownership experience would be more worthwhile. It's the annoying "little" things that all add up and make you not want to ride.

#26 · (Edited)
I am both discontent and concerned regarding the way my FZ-09 clunks into first gear every time. I have a lot of experience with bikes and am quite used to most of them clunking into first gear when initially starting up. The clutch plates are stuck together and need to be freed either by clunking into first or rocking the bike back and forth in gear before it is started. What is unusual to me is that the FZ doesn't just do it on first start up but every time it is put into first. To me this means that either the clutch is out of adjustment or the plates are dragging (this latter would also explain the clunky nature of the bikes gearbox). I took it to my dealer to have it checked and after nearly a week he calls me to tell me it is fixed. The "fix" comprised of adjusting the chain so tight it had zero slack and was obviously under great tension. When I pointed this out he just shrugged and said that was what Yamaha suggested should be done. Luckily I was bringing the bike home (22miles) on my pickup and didn't ride it in this state. The mechanic, however, had put a few miles on it and I now wonder what damage has been done to it. I will find another dealership to take the bike to as I have zero faith in the present one.
I only have 370 miles on the bike but have been experimenting with the clutch/gearbox trying to get a smooth noise-less gearchange. Unfortunately, as with a previous posters experience on this thread, the bike seems completely inconsistent as to how and when it will perform a noise-less shift. I think that either (a) the clutch plates have rough surfaces from the manufacturing process or they are swollen by the oil in the engine. I have adjusted the clutch to either extreme and neither adjustment made any difference.
All of which is a shame as the engine is a gem of flexible power and torque spoiled by a seemingly poor clutch.

#27 ·
We are all aware that the clutch on the 09 has 8 plates instead of the average 6 yeah? This may explain some of the "heavier" nature in the operation. 2 extra plates to handle the torque this motor throws around.

That being said, only my neutral to first gear change clunks.........just like every other motorcycle I have ever had experience with........ever. All of my upshifts and downshifts on the 09 are buttery smooth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.