Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! Just registered.

Just got the bike today. Loving it so far.

One thing I've noticed is that when I am starting from a stop, I will shift into second, and shortly after shifting into it, I hear a sound coming from down near the shifter (I think?) - it almost sounds like something sort of heavy is loose and just kind of knocking around. It seems to happen when I am accelerating / engine braking. I have no idea what this could be, but I don't hear it in any other gear.

Any ideas? I'm coming from a 2012 Ninja 650, and I don't recall anything like this on that bike.

Thanks so much, everyone! :D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Wow, that.s not good. Whining or moaning while under load maybe, but a clunk, HMMMM. At least it is under warranty, I say ride it a bit and see what happens.
Can you feel it through the pegs?

oh and welcome!

The rule for newbies is you must post pics of bike and girlfriend(and wife too if you want)!

more of a courtesy than a rule........:p

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Sounds like it's time to take it back to the dealer and see if the mechanic can notice the same thing. Sometimes the "normal" noises can sound different from bike to bike, but this definitely sounds like something that warrants a second opinion from the dealer (and warranty provider).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like it's time to take it back to the dealer and see if the mechanic can notice the same thing. Sometimes the "normal" noises can sound different from bike to bike, but this definitely sounds like something that warrants a second opinion from the dealer (and warranty provider).
Dealer won't be open until Tuesday, so I'm riding until then.

It's odd, the bike seems flawless other than this. Basically, it only happens right after I shift into second. I'll shift up into second and start to accelerate. It's like the slight lurching of the bike causes a "knock" - it reminds me of my clunky shifting on the Ninja 650. It only seems to really happen once; right as I initially accelerate in second gear.

I'll ride it until then and take it in.

Thanks, guys!

PS: One other thing; I went and ate lunch earlier. I had 2 bars left on my fuel meter, so less than half a tank. When I came out I noticed a liquid right under the hose that dumps excess fuel. I can't image it was excess fuel since it was below half a tank.

Does heat / parking on a slight incline have anything to do with this?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally getting to the dealer tomorrow.

I took it by my local mechanic and he was able to reproduce it 100% of the time. Basically, the second you shift into second, you can hear / feel the noise when you accelerate and then again when you engine brake. You can actually make the noise go back and forth by accelerating / engine braking. It's like something is just rocking back and forth.

Here are some pics to hold you guys over. :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
other bike must have been white by looking at helmet probably to good to get another color LOL. These bikes are pretty in every pic i like just looking at them thats what actually caused me to buy one seeing all the pics of them.

·
Registered
637 Posts
This does not sound good to me.
Did you get to the dealer for him to have a listen?

Apart from the fact that your chain is bowstring tight - like they all are from the factory, I have a nasty suspicion that your transmission was not assembled correctly and something was left out that allows one of the gears to slide along the shaft a bit to hit another one. I hope that is not the case and it is just because the chain is too tight, but...

link to gearbox

2nd gear is right next to the drive sprocket, but it could be the gear that locks 2nd to the shaft that is causing the sound (I think that is 6th gear) and can be on either shaft. Lots of little washers and circlips and if one was missed...

I hope to be proved wrong on this

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This does not sound good to me.
Did you get to the dealer for him to have a listen?

Apart from the fact that your chain is bowstring tight - like they all are from the factory, I have a nasty suspicion that your transmission was not assembled correctly and something was left out that allows one of the gears to slide along the shaft a bit to hit another one. I hope that is not the case and it is just because the chain is too tight, but...

link to gearbox

2nd gear is right next to the drive sprocket, but it could be the gear that locks 2nd to the shaft that is causing the sound (I think that is 6th gear) and can be on either shaft. Lots of little washers and circlips and if one was missed...

I hope to be proved wrong on this
The dealer dragged their feet and it will be next weekend before I can get it in.

It's odd, because the bike rides so flawlessly smooth. It's just that noise...

It's my main mode of transportation, so I'll just tough it out until next Saturday.

If the bike craters before then, I'll take the transmission up there and personally cram it up their ass. :D

The whole day was kind of frustrating. I called three days in advance, I show up, they have me sign in, and I go hang out in the lobby and look at bikes / talk to the employees.

After 4 hours (I was having fun chatting with people) I go and ask the dude what the status was, and he basically said, "Oh... right... we won't be able to squeeze you in today"

The fact that I had to be squeezed in when I called 3 days in advance is infuriating.

Oh well. Stuff happens, I guess.

:cool:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
So it is only in 2nd? I'd say until the dealer can look into it further rev it up in a bit in first and then shift to 3rd. Don't abuse it, but the 09 has a wide torque curve.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The dealer dragged their feet and it will be next weekend before I can get it in.

It's odd, because the bike rides so flawlessly smooth. It's just that noise...

It's my main mode of transportation, so I'll just tough it out until next Saturday.

If the bike craters before then, I'll take the transmission up there and personally cram it up their ass. :D

The whole day was kind of frustrating. I called three days in advance, I show up, they have me sign in, and I go hang out in the lobby and look at bikes / talk to the employees.

After 4 hours (I was having fun chatting with people) I go and ask the dude what the status was, and he basically said, "Oh... right... we won't be able to squeeze you in today"

The fact that I had to be squeezed in when I called 3 days in advance is infuriating.

Oh well. Stuff happens, I guess.

:cool:
So.......you made an appointment, after 4 hours nothing had been done. You were then pushed back, to the following week.

I would say that is unacceptable service, talk to the Department Manager.

Ask him, if his staff are paid to work there, or are they all volunteers!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Remind them that there WILL be survey from Yamaha...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Do you have a rear paddock stand (and spoolies) I was wondering if you can duplicate the noise in 2nd with the engine off, clutch in, just turning the rear wheel.
Might even be able to do it just by pushing the bike along in 2nd with clutch in.

Of course only half the gears will be turning and there really won't be any power induced thrust loads... but it might show up.

Is there another Yamaha dealer near you? Warrantee work can be done at any authorized Yamaha dealer, not just the guy you bought it from. Feel free to name the dealer you took it to, we would like to know who to avoid. :)

Reactions: rhettmania

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have a rear paddock stand (and spoolies) I was wondering if you can duplicate the noise in 2nd with the engine off, clutch in, just turning the rear wheel.
Might even be able to do it just by pushing the bike along in 2nd with clutch in.

Of course only half the gears will be turning and there really won't be any power induced thrust loads... but it might show up.

Is there another Yamaha dealer near you? Warrantee work can be done at any authorized Yamaha dealer, not just the guy you bought it from. Feel free to name the dealer you took it to, we would like to know who to avoid. :)
I don't. :(

So, today I was riding, and suddenly the bike was having issues downshifting into any gear. I was in 6th and went to downshift into 5th since traffic started slowing, and the bike was basically getting stuck in between gears or something (sorry, not a mechanic by a long shot!). I'd step on the shifter and it wouldn't go into 5th, but was out of 6th. It took a lot of stomping and revving to get it to move into either gear. This happened all the way down to 1st, and continued happening off and on all the way home.

I'm starting to think I should have just gone with another Ninja 650. :(

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
It's the first time I've heard of a FZ 09 having what you describe. Something like this can happen to any individual vehicle from any company. It sucks for you, but what counts is that they take care of it, under warranty etc.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's the first time I've heard of a FZ 09 having what you describe. Something like this can happen to any individual vehicle from any company. It sucks for you, but what counts is that they take care of it, under warranty etc.
Me sitting with my thumb up my ass for 4 hours while they basically forgot about me definitely doesn't count as taking care of it in my book, but we'll see what happens.

The thing is, a quick ride around the parking lot would have let them hear it. Oh wel.

I'll report back ASAP.

Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
New motorcycles have warranties because they need them to cover manufacturing defects. Remember that a motorcycle has thousands of integral parts, mechanical and electronic. I am always amazed when a bike does not have any initial problems.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
So, today I was riding, and suddenly the bike was having issues downshifting into any gear. I was in 6th and went to downshift into 5th since traffic started slowing, and the bike was basically getting stuck in between gears or something (sorry, not a mechanic by a long shot!). I'd step on the shifter and it wouldn't go into 5th, but was out of 6th. It took a lot of stomping and revving to get it to move into either gear. This happened all the way down to 1st, and continued happening off and on all the way home.
(
but shifting up was fine? probably something wrong with the shift shaft if it shifts fine one way but not the other.

sorry to hear about that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts