Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today about an hour ago i almost ran into a j -walker rear wheel locked no damage to the tire

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
J-walking in j-bills. Where at? I see people doing it all the time down town.

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yulee fl at the intersetion of a1a and us17. it was dark didnt see em til i almost him em. rear locked up and starting drifting

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Good work avoiding the pedestrian. These folks have no clue how close these close calls really are....glad you're ok.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I can pretty much guarantee that my rear brake pads will go well over 100,000 miles and still be pretty much like new!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
My Rear Brake won't last half that time because I use it more than the front -- it begins to stop the bike before I even touch the front. I'd rather use the Back than the front out of fear of flying over the front bars.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
My Rear Brake won't last half that time because I use it more than the front -- it begins to stop the bike before I even touch the front. I'd rather use the Back than the front out of fear of flying over the front bars.:cool:
Steve, you probably........Really need to learn to use the front brake then. Stopping via the rear brake is incredibly weak compared to using the front brake and will severely limit your braking ability and if not absolutely perfect with it, will induce rear wheel slides as the O.P. talked about. And BTW, I'm not picking on YOU, everyone should master the use of the front brake.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Well the important thing here is nobody got hurt and you kept the rubber side down. I like what I was told at the msf course I took, RIDE LIKE IM INVISABLE cause everything out there is trying to kill you.
Evan the chipmunk's doing there suicide run across the street! Dogs they will hate you with a passion. My neighbors dog reminds me of this every time I get on it.
Triple is right, 70% braking front 30% braking rear tire. So sign up for a msf course if you never taken one I learned a lot. Evan with years of riding on the dirt & street.
I like your honesty most people would be to proud to have posted that!

·
Registered
885 Posts
And BTW, I'm not picking on YOU, everyone should master the use of the front brake.
Primarily using the front brake was a big adjustment for me.

Also learned from members of this forum, practice sudden stops in an open area without traffic or pedestrians. When a sudden stop becomes necessary, the practice will make a big difference.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Steve, you probably........Really need to learn to use the front brake then. I realize I'm always picking on YOU, although everyone should master the use of the front brake.
Seems I've become your whipping boy.:(

·
Banned
739 Posts
I've learned when coming to a complete stop, initially use the front to scrub off speed. Then right at 1mph, get off it completely and use the rear only.

Tucking the front and tipping over in a comical fashion taught me this.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I learned the value of front wheel braking while riding off-road down some very steep hills. In that scenario, the back brake is practically useless. It might be good to prevent swapping ends.

·
Registered
262 Posts
When I first started riding I used way too much rear brake. I think it was because I stopped my car with my right foot, and it was just habit. Now the only time I really use the rear is near the end of a stop at low speed to avoid front end dive.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Yes you have to learn how to use the front and rear brake together for the best braking. It's also good to learn how to use engine braking in line with your front and rear brakes. I find the 09's engine braking works great all on it's own. Plus don't forget to make sure you pull in the clutch for emergency braking. If you stall the bike that can be as bad as locking up the back wheel.

As for locking up the back wheel and screeching the back tire, that isn't a bad way to wake up a boneheaded j-walker who isn't paying attention to traffic. Maybe a good scare is what they need so they don't do it again.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Yes you have to learn how to use the front and rear brake together for the best braking. It's also good to learn how to use engine braking in line with your front and rear brakes. I find the 09's engine braking works great all on it's own. Plus don't forget to make sure you pull in the clutch for emergency braking. If you stall the bike that can be as bad as locking up the back wheel.

As for locking up the back wheel and screeching the back tire, that isn't a bad way to wake up a boneheaded j-walker who isn't paying attention to traffic. Maybe a good scare is what they need so they don't do it again.
Emergency braking for me involves heavy use of the front brake and very quick/rapid downshifting to use engine braking. If I have to stop that hard, the rear brake is practically useless anyway. I have absolutely zero issues with blipping the throttle while applying the front brake very hard and clutching and downshifting all at the same time. It's a matter of practice, which I do a lot of at the track during a normal track day.

Reactions: shamrock

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Seems I've become your whipping boy.:(
You could be, if you would like that! Seriously, you and anyone else that depends on the rear brake for the majority of their stopping power is just asking for trouble.......maybe sooner than later.......maybe later rather than sooner.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts