Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Sorry for my noobiness, but I'll ask anyway. Feel free to point me at a thread ... didn't see it in a search. What do you guys use to clean the following areas of your 09s?

. The trim piece around the stock exhaust pipe end
. The grease buildup below the chain near the transmission
. Anything plastic
. The seat
. The tank

·
Registered
385 Posts
My simple solution, use WD40 on the exhaust tip and grease buildup. Then spray bike with S100 (cover dash display with plastic bag), hose off and dry. DONE!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First I've heard of S100. Looked at their website. It almost seems too easy. I'll see about finding some of that around here. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pro Honda spray polish and cleaner as was mentioned above. The best surfacE cleaner IMHO. I have never used soap and water on any of my bikes ...just the Honda spray polish on all surfaces. Use a soft cotton cloth and it won't scratch the paint and plastic. Microfiber cloth is good as long as it isn't made of synthetic fiber.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Pro Honda spray polish and cleaner as was mentioned above. The best surfacE cleaner IMHO. I have never used soap and water on any of my bikes ...just the Honda spray polish on all surfaces. Use a soft cotton cloth and it won't scratch the paint and plastic. Microfiber cloth is good as long as it isn't made of synthetic fiber.
FWIW, I switched from the Honda polish to the Original Bike Spirits because Honda added carnauba wax to the formulation within the last couple of years or so; it doesn't polish up as easily as the previous version and I find the spray nozzle tends to clog. The OBS stuff is exactly what the Honda spray used to be before the carnauba wax was added.

·
Registered
336 Posts
+2 on the S100, it really is good stuff. I use way more WD-40 on my bikes than I probably should, but i cleans about everything especially the wheels and swing arm. I use Simple Green on the engine and let it sit for a few seconds then hose it off if I am out of S100. If you are really into cleaning your bike, look into getting a Master Blaster compressed hot air dryer for the bike. It makes cleaning the engine so easy on naked bikes.

·
Registered
670 Posts
S100 is great stuff. But, be VERY careful with WD-40. It is a solvent and vigorously attacks polycarbonate plastic, causing it to crack.

From WD-40's website FAQ:

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product on?

WD-40 Multi-Use Product can be used on just about everything. It is safe to use on metal, rubber, wood and plastic. It can also be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40 Multi-Use Product.

On anything clear (windshields, helmets) and/or hard plastic DO NOT use WD-40.

I'll mention it again, there is a great product used by bicyclists that will clean everything - chains, engines, seats, tank, wheels, everything. It's biodegradable and cleans grease, oil, road grime and mud equally well. You can get it at most bicycle shops.

Finish Line - Bicycle Lubricants and Care Products - Super Bike Wash?

·
Registered
154 Posts
+1 on Pledge. Pledge and microfiber cloth works as well or better on all painted and plastic parts as any product I've tried. For heavy amounts of grease I like simple green.

Reactions: Dzjiepie
1 - 15 of 15 Posts