Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went for a awesome ride today about 300 km great day except got caught in some road construction and had to run a few km of freshly ground up pavement. They chew up the old pavement and get ready to repave but the chewed up pavement had small bits of stone and tar mixture needless to say the crap stuck to every thing and covered the frame and top of the exhaust cat. When we got through and pulled off for a break and smoke i was pissed so went to the nearest car wash as quickly as possible and pressure washed the whole bottom half off the bike and with a small stick got it all off the cat even had to wash the chain and re-lube when i got home. Only place i could not get cleaned completely was the header where the 3 pipes come together small rocks and tar welded with the heat in the creases where the 3 pipes comes to one seams to gather all the road dirt in this area. Anyone have any tricks to clean this up tried break clean /pressure wash and slowly picking till had no fingernails left. Don't want to scratch the header with any hard tools hoping it will fall off over time with hot and cold cycles any tips would be help-full.. Thanks for now. Ray.... sorry for the long winded post lol...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Paragraphs and full stops/periods make all the difference in how easy a post is to read. That was quite difficult.

A tar and bug remover such as Turtle Wax or any other brand to loosen it up. Autosol or another metal polish of some description should off the remaining and give the shine back.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Paragraphs and full stops/periods make all the difference in how easy a post is to read. That was quite difficult.

A tar and bug remover such as Turtle Wax or any other brand to loosen it up. Autosol or another metal polish of some description should off the remaining and give the shine back.
Thanks Poogamer69. Will have to try some bug and tar remover. Sorry computer has spell check , but no Grammar Checker...

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've successfully removed tar from painted finishes using WD40 and silicon spray (not together, just whichever was closest) and letting it soak in around the edges before, but no guarantees if it'll do just as well on a finish like the headers. Spray, let it sit and get your fingernails ready.

In any case it can't hurt as long as you rinse it all off when you're done. If the headers are still warm it might help get the liquid in a little further.

The other bug and tar products should work as well if you want to go that route but you might have the other stuff sitting around already.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the tips. Got 95 percent of it off. Only a little bit left down in the joint between the pipes. Can't see it with out getting down and looking right in top of header joint. So rest hopefully will burn off in time...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts