Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or Infineon or Sonoma Raceway to the younger folks. The FZ, as modified with the ECU re-flash, Penske 8983 shock, .90 fork springs and 7.5 wt fork oil, performed very well from my point of view. Shock and springs courtesy of Nick of Stoltech Moto fame. I didn't think about the suspension until today- the day after- and I was going fast enough that I startled myself in a fast right hand bend when my boot and the footpeg feeler touched down on the track somewhere around 80+. Very pleased with the suspension at this point although the front would likely benefit from one of Nick's fork kits. We'll see.

For my pace at least ("B" group- the slower of the two groups), the rider was the limiting factor. That said, the FZ seemed to pull just about every bike that I came across and I didn't get passed during the sessions. I went with Michelin Pilot Power 3's and am quite pleased with those tires. They have a steeper profile than the Dunlops that came on my bike, and aside from one corner entrance where I applied a bit too much front brake, I did not feel them slip all day. That said, I'm no racer so take it with a grain of salt. I was over far enough to scrape the pegs lightly on both sides but I don't hang off the bike much.

I did the same track day on my Hawk GT last year. It was more fun this year as the substantial acceleration of the FZ took the frustration out of the picture as I didn't get hung up by less aggressive riders on faster bikes corner after corner. I do want to thank Nick again. I would not have wanted to take the stock FZ to the track with the soggy stock suspension and horribly abrupt throttle response as delivered from the factory. I used the springs that he recommended, and modified, it makes for a very fun time. Land vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycle racer Race track Superbike racing

·
Registered
196 Posts
Can't wait to get my FZ out on the track. Looks like you had a hella good time =]

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
584 Posts
Sturath, looks like you are having a blast. I have a set of Pilot Power 3's in my garage to go on soon and I like your comment about how you found them for traction. As a prior Hawk owner (wish it wasn't so and I still had it) am glad to hear you favor the FZ on the track due to the added power. Funny (maybe wrong word) how it took all the goodies from Nick for handling to be equal or better but your Hawk wasn't stock either. Which bike to ride on those twisties by where you live just got easier I think. Power is a lot of fun and addicting.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I rode my SRX600 in to work yesterday since I hadn't put the turn signals back on the FZ yet. It took some adjustment to go from my quickest bike to my slowest. The SRX engine feels very coarse compared to the FZ, the brakes require a firmer pull, and it's way down on power of course. Riding position is more cramped, but it's still a fun little bike. The best thing I can say about the FZ after the mods is that I didn't really think about the suspension during the day but was more focused on lines and not over-taxing the tires by braking too late or accelerating too hard out of turns. I still think my Hawk GT front is better with the Race Tech Emulators, but the FZ is within spittin' distance. From a track perspective, I really like the Pilot Power 3's. We'll see how they last on the street. I would have gotten about 2900-3000 miles out of the stock rear Dunlop had I taken it to the wear bars.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I just replaced the stock Bridgestone's (2400 miles) with Pilot power 3's. I had them on my Speed Triple and loved them, much quicker turn in and feed back. Sadly I sold the Speed with only about 500 miles on the new tires so no idea how they will wear. I could have gotten probably another 500 miles out of the stockers but I was having the new CCT installed and I figured to just go ahead and put the new tires on instead of having to bring it back a week later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts