Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. Have you guys seen this before?

Motorcycle Exhaust System Muffler Link Pipe For YAMAHA MT09 FZ09 not tracer 1415
or
Exhaust System Muffler Link Pipe For YAMAHA MT09 FZ09 not tracer 14-15 | eBay

etc.

They go so far as to offer knockoff AKP stickers for the exhaust can, lol.

Chinese stuff is always crazy, inexpensive and of questionable quality. I suspect these exhaust systems are the same. Anyone have experience with these?

Would they fit equally well (read: chinese, shitty) on an XSR900 as they would an FZ-09?

How well would they work?

I am literally quite tempted to spend the $300 just to see how this stacks up against a brand name system. - How would you recommend I test this setup vs stock vs a proper setup? Would love to bring some actual numbers/analytics/science into the test instead of just "it sounds fine"

Let me know! Maybe we can make a decent thread on chinese knockoff exhaust

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
just get the M4 @ $379 USD and forget about the knockoffs...sometimes it's a hit or miss, but if you wanna roll the dice then go for it and good luck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
How about Delkevic? I believe they're a British company, but the exhausts are made in China. I've had their silencers on Gen 1 and Gen 2 FZ1's and an SV650 with excellent results. Good fit. Light weight. On my first FZ1 after five years it still looked and sounded like new. The 14" oval with the db-killer installed is not loud at all. The shorter you go, the louder it gets-db-killer or no db-killer. Their systems for the 09 start at under $400. I'm getting one eventually. Best bang for the buck. JMHO.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
M4 on an XSR900?

Can any FZ exhaust fit the xsr900?

Slip on would need to cut the factory exhaust of an XSR900, right?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking so too. like, worst case is... it leaks and doens't fit up well, but both of those things can be fixed. What else could go wrong?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Damn, didn't know they made components like this besides accessories and such.

IMO, I'd avoid it if possible. It's not like a reputable company selling Chinese made parts under strict contracts that includes specific QA, material quality, fit and finish, etc. These are parts mass produced in a random factory and sold to whole sellers with the attempts of getting the most profit.

I can see them using the same exhaust can across all motorcycles regardless of displacement and engine type to reduce overhead costs. Here's a fun example, a universal exhaust you can install on most bikes. Any size, any shape, any look as long as the exhaust pipe fits the 51mm inlet. No engineering and tuning requiring. Slap and go.

I'd rather install one of these and feel and sound cool.
s-l225.jpg

Edit: anyone want to be a guinea pig?

·
Registered
176 Posts
It will last about a month before you blast the packing right out of it. There's no short cuts in life, you get what you pay for. I would spend a little more and go with a black widow or delkevic before a Chinese knockoff. My premium Leo Vince full exhaust system only cost 700.00 and change with free shipping and will last more than double the life of one one those knockoffs. Just saying, you can spend your money as you please. Plus everyone is going to know that it's a cheap knockoff, won't fool too many. Lots of r&d goes into the big name companies, especially the ones that produce for the racing market.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
438 Posts
you get what you pay for.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Not always the case. I've seen plenty of overpriced items when it comes to motorcycle accessories and riding gear.. But when it comes to exhausts, I probably wouldn't get one from ebay at this time. :) Then again, there are plenty of name brand fz09 exhausts out there that doesn't seem to have a design at all either, just a straight pipe from header to the muffler. So if thats what the OP has been eyeing, then maybe the ebay route wouldn't be so bad after all. Or the m4 like someone mentioned.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not always the case. I've seen plenty of overpriced items when it comes to motorcycle accessories and riding gear.. But when it comes to exhausts, I probably wouldn't get one from ebay at this time. :) Then again, there are plenty of name brand fz09 exhausts out there that doesn't seem to have a design at all either, just a straight pipe from header to the muffler. So if thats what the OP has been eyeing, then maybe the ebay route wouldn't be so bad after all. Or the m4 like someone mentioned.
Trust me when I say you get what you pay for. With almost 30 years of riding experience and about 23 bikes and lots of accessories over the years, it does make a difference. There is always a bargain to be had and smart shopping can save you money but the cheap Chinese crap is not well made. The specs on most items and the finishes are way off. The parts loose or change color, the hardware is not of the same components or alloys used in construction. Can you use the cheap Chinese stuff and will it work, yes it will for a period of time but will deteriorate much faster than a well finished brand. When it comes to gear there is a huge difference in quality control, especially helmets and jackets. I wear middle of the road gear price wise but it is very well made such as scorpion, HJC, Joe rocket, fieldsheer, tourmaster, Knox and some other brands. Dainese and some other stuff is just to expensive for my liking but is really nice stuff. Quite honestly I know there is a huge markup and not everyone can afford some of this stuff so I completely understand but I do know first hand about the quality difference being that I have tried some of the knockoff stuff in the past just to find out that I needed to replace it sooner than later and spend more money anyway.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
438 Posts
Trust me when I say you get what you pay for. With almost 30 years of riding experience and about 23 bikes and lots of accessories over the years, it does make a difference. There is always a bargain to be had and smart shopping can save you money but the cheap Chinese crap is not well made. The specs on most items and the finishes are way off. The parts loose or change color, the hardware is not of the same components or alloys used in construction. Can you use the cheap Chinese stuff and will it work, yes it will for a period of time but will deteriorate much faster than a well finished brand. When it comes to gear there is a huge difference in quality control, especially helmets and jackets. I wear middle of the road gear price wise but it is very well made such as scorpion, HJC, Joe rocket, fieldsheer, tourmaster, Knox and some other brands. Dainese and some other stuff is just to expensive for my liking but is really nice stuff. Quite honestly I know there is a huge markup and not everyone can afford some of this stuff so I completely understand but I do know first hand about the quality difference being that I have tried some of the knockoff stuff in the past just to find out that I needed to replace it sooner than later and spend more money anyway.

NOt always the case like I said. FOr simple items like frame sliders, you could get the SATO brand for $260, or get the generic ebay one for $35. It's a piece of metal/aluminum, bolted to the bike, seriously, how much better do you think the SATO one would be. I wouldn't be surprised if SATO buys it from the same copy that made the ebay ones. That's just one example. You could do the same on Levers, radiator covers, etc. While I may not have as many years as you as far as riding, in the last 5 years, all these basic ebay stuff worked fine on my other bikes and no issues with discolorations, etc. (I still see my old bikes around town with the same parts lol). So yea, maybe, some of the parts won't last 10 years, but by then I might have a different bike already lol.

@:23 (here's the sato frame sliders I'm referring to)

There are items that its probably best to get name brands and pay a bit more, (like xhausts, engine components, etc) but for other simple items like these, it's a waste of money IMO. And funny you mentioned gear, some people will crap on you for buying HJC, joe rocket, etc because they're not Shoei or astars or dainese. They will give you the same line you're giving here, you get what you pay for lol. I will disagree with them just as much as I am disagreeing with you. "It is not always the case."

ex: The $179 HJC is17 is just as safe (if not safer) than Shoei's GT-Air @$600 as confirmed by SHARP's test ratings. higherprice != safer/better.

·
Registered
176 Posts
NOt always the case like I said. FOr simple items like frame sliders, you could get the SATO brand for $260, or get the generic ebay one for $35. It's a piece of metal/aluminum, bolted to the bike, seriously, how much better do you think the SATO one would be. I wouldn't be surprised if SATO buys it from the same copy that made the ebay ones. That's just one example. You could do the same on Levers, radiator covers, etc. While I may not have as many years as you as far as riding, in the last 5 years, all these basic ebay stuff worked fine on my other bikes and no issues with discolorations, etc. (I still see my old bikes around town with the same parts lol). So yea, maybe, some of the parts won't last 10 years, but by then I might have a different bike already lol.

@:23 (here's the sato frame sliders I'm referring to)

There are items that its probably best to get name brands and pay a bit more, (like xhausts, engine components, etc) but for other simple items like these, it's a waste of money IMO. And funny you mentioned gear, some people will crap on you for buying HJC, joe rocket, etc because they're not Shoei or astars or dainese. They will give you the same line you're giving here, you get what you pay for lol. I will disagree with them just as much as I am disagreeing with you. "It is not always the case."

ex: The $179 HJC is17 is just as safe (if not safer) than Shoei's GT-Air @$600 as confirmed by SHARP's test ratings. higherprice != safer/better.
Lol, I do hear you on certain things. Actually you are spot on with the gear. Scorpion, bell and HJC helmets are just as good and safe as anything else and they all are derived from their top of the line race series. They all make top of the line helmets like other brands. My other gear is well made stuff and just as good as alpine stars, now cycle gear stuff like bilt gear or real knock off eBay gear is the crap I don't recommend. I know lots of people will defend their Chinese eBay stuff to the death but I've had mirrors, levers, luggage, windshields, fairings, and other stuff which discolored, fitment was not precise and did not perform well over time. I would also be very wary of Chinese aftermarket levers being that poor construction and fitment has led to build up of pressure in brake lines causing several near fatal accidents by locking up riders brakes out of nowhere. I'm sure we can discuss this forever but I would use name brand trusted parts for by brakes and other vital components. Things like frame sliders and mirrors and cosmetic stuff is not as big of a deal. To each their own.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would also be very wary of Chinese aftermarket levers being that poor construction and fitment has led to build up of pressure in brake lines causing several near fatal accidents by locking up riders brakes out of nowhere.
I'm trying to think of a way that makes sense mechanically and I can't. Either
1. The lever fits correctly and there is no problem
2. The lever is tight and always contacting the master cylinder (not out of nowhere) and you uninstall it when you realize you cant roll the bike out of the garage.
3. The lever is loose and it wobbles in your hand and is annoying but not jamming the master cylinder

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm trying to think of a way that makes sense mechanically and I can't. Either
1. The lever fits correctly and there is no problem
2. The lever is tight and always contacting the master cylinder (not out of nowhere) and you uninstall it when you realize you cant roll the bike out of the garage.
3. The lever is loose and it wobbles in your hand and is annoying but not jamming the master cylinder
The poor fitment depressed the plunger on the master cylinder by a fraction on a millimeter causing just enough pressure on the master cylinder to build up in the lines and cause the brake to lock up.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Also not all the Chinese stuff is the same quality. Some of the stuff is actually made well. It's hit or miss sometimes. You could buy levers that are made well from a reputable seller and have zero problems. You just have to be carefully and shop smart and know what your looking at when installing. You should know how it fits and compare the dementions to stock to make sure they match, if something doesn't fit 100% correctly and you have to either Force something or modify it to make it work then you shouldn't be using that part unless it's not critical and only cosmetic.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Here's what happened to my Chinese rearsets. Actually, they are the same ones shown in the earlier video...

Just 4 or 5 rides going five minutes to and from work. Bolt broke that holds the peg. I was just shifting gears. No standing or leaning... Bolts are really soft. If you do purchase, change the bolts out for something stronger. That little bit of extra money could save you a lot of pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
438 Posts
Here's what happened to my Chinese rearsets. Actually, they are the same ones shown in the earlier video...

Just 4 or 5 rides going five minutes to and from work. Bolt broke that holds the peg. I was just shifting gears. No standing or leaning... Bolts are really soft. If you do purchase, change the bolts out for something stronger. That little bit of extra money could save you a lot of pain.

Thats crazy! Thanks for sharing. I"ve never seen or heard of rearsets braking to be honest, HOw long have you had it till it broke? It's been 3 months for me and it hasn't given me any issues so far, but i'll do a 1 yr review down the line to see if they hold up. Hopefully they all do! lol

·
Registered
193 Posts
2 weeks..? Maybe. I couldn't find the bolt or peg to find out what actually happened, but my guess is I torqued down that peg a little too much during install and compromised the bolt. I did find that the supplied bolts that held the shifter to the adjustable plate and the peg bolt to be soft when trying to tighten with allen wrenches. If I decide to go with these again I will definitely swap out the three bolts on each side with something stronger.

Right now it doesn't look like the person I bought these from is going to help. I've been in contact, sent pictures, & items I would like to receive (even at a small price), but after about 4 back & forth emails with them, they just quit responding.

·
Registered
438 Posts
2 weeks..? Maybe. I couldn't find the bolt or peg to find out what actually happened, but my guess is I torqued down that peg a little too much during install and compromised the bolt. I did find that the supplied bolts that held the shifter to the adjustable plate and the peg bolt to be soft when trying to tighten with allen wrenches. If I decide to go with these again I will definitely swap out the three bolts on each side with something stronger.

Right now it doesn't look like the person I bought these from is going to help. I've been in contact, sent pictures, & items I would like to receive (even at a small price), but after about 4 back & forth emails with them, they just quit responding.

I'm surprised they stop. Usually sellers are afraid for any bad reviews, so they do all they can. I'd contact ebay, they might be able to give you your money back. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts