Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this really cool helmet lock from China. Then I went to Harbor Freight and bought an Allen wrench that would fit the screws. I had to go back once because I bought the wrong size. Then I went to the auto parts store and bought some Locktite. It was a difficult choice between blue red and orange but after speaking with the sales guy, we decided on blue. It was finally time to do the actual build. I carefully jacked the bike up. Then I removed the rear foot peg. Man do they screw those things on tight. I was almost ready to give up when it finally broke loose. I couldn't find any Youtube videos that showed how to install the lock so I was flying by the seat of my pants on this one. I took everything out of the box and did a test fit. Once I figured out that I had it upside down I was ready to do the final install. I carefully applied blue Locktite on the 1st screw and inserted it into the hole and then finger tightened it. Then I applied blue Locktite to the 2nd screw and finger tightened that one. Unfortunately I put too much on and it was oozing out the back so I had to get a rag and clean it. Now was the tricky part.....I had to tighten the screws without a torque wrench. Fortunately I've tightened screws before and I think I got it just perfect. Now was the moment of truth. Time to try the key. I inserted the key and cautiously turned it and it worked like a charm. Then I got my helmet and tried it out. That helmet isn't going anywhere. I left the blue plastic protection stuff on because I think it looks rad. It was a lot of hard work but my build is complete. Check out the picture.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to burst your bubble Chester...but unless a hack saw or torches are used and lots of beers consumed, it is NOT a build...more like useful bling :LOL: 😁
I had to use an acetylene torch to free up the foot peg screws and a giant breaker bar and a come- along.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I bought this really cool helmet lock from China. Then I went to Harbor Freight and bought an Allen wrench that would fit the screws. I had to go back once because I bought the wrong size. Then I went to the auto parts store and bought some Locktite. It was a difficult choice between blue red and orange but after speaking with the sales guy, we decided on blue. It was finally time to do the actual build. I carefully jacked the bike up. Then I removed the rear foot peg. Man do they screw those things on tight. I was almost ready to give up when it finally broke loose. I couldn't find any Youtube videos that showed how to install the lock so I was flying by the seat of my pants on this one. I took everything out of the box and did a test fit. Once I figured out that I had it upside down I was ready to do the final install. I carefully applied blue Locktite on the 1st screw and inserted it into the hole and then finger tightened it. Then I applied blue Locktite to the 2nd screw and finger tightened that one. Unfortunately I put too much on and it was oozing out the back so I had to get a rag and clean it. Now was the tricky part.....I had to tighten the screws without a torque wrench. Fortunately I've tightened screws before and I think I got it just perfect. Now was the moment of truth. Time to try the key. I inserted the key and cautiously turned it and it worked like a charm. Then I got my helmet and tried it out. That helmet isn't going anywhere. I left the blue plastic protection stuff on because I think it looks rad. It was a lot of hard work but my build is complete. Check out the picture.
View attachment 166634
Will the sticker install be part 2? Can’t wait to see how this build comes out😂

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,918 Posts
Agreed! There have been several times over the years where attempting the addition of simple bling + way too many beers has turned into a build:LOL:
Remember that video where the guy hacked up his exhaust and installed four turbos? I think that’s exactly how that project started!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Loctite is for amateurs. What you do is you hold the bolt at a slight angle while you're threading it in, you'll start to feel resistance, and then you keep threading it in, you'll know you're doing it right because you'll feel that resistance all the way through. See most of the time when you thread in the bolt is like way loose until the very end - NOT SECURE. This way it is tight the whole time you're screwing it in. Very secure.

·
Registered
65 Posts
View attachment 166634
be proud padawan 🤙🏻‼😂

1 - 20 of 26 Posts