Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wax Warning.......

Ok just picked up the bike from the dealer today and I noticed that the wax from the chain spreads onto the left hand side of the tyre (and body work, wheel).
Very slippy and potentially dangerous, so for all those out there make sure you check and clean the tyre for the first few rides.

I've used methylated spirit to clean it off (it evalporates cleanly away) but even afer 40km is was back again..

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks...
Before I did anything at all (well signed the papers lol), I cleaned my 9er from top to bottom to get all the delivery grime - shine off, used MOTUL to clean and lube the chain, then roughen the new Dunlop's with steel wool. :cool:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Wax Warning.......

Ok just picked up the bike from the dealer today and I noticed that the wax from the chain spreads onto the left hand side of the tyre (and body work, wheel).
Very slippy and potentially dangerous, so for all those out there make sure you check and clean the tyre for the first few rides.

I've used methylated spirit to clean it off (it evalporates cleanly away) but even afer 40km is was back again..
my trick pull off to the side of the road in the gravel . do a burn out . tire scuffed :evil6:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I've never had trouble with a few drops of chain lube on the tire, street or track, and it's not because I'm so neat that it doesn't get there. If a race bike blows a liter of oil on the tire in a turn it will will crash, but a few specks of lube?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would think the chain lube would only get on the sidewall of the tire not the tread

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've lubed so many of my chains before and it always gets on the tire a little. But a quick 2 mile ride should get 100% of it off. It's not like there's silicon on there or anything! It's a normal thing and don't panic about it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should have taken a picture, but mine (from the shop) got the wax on the sidewall and the tread, about 1" in from the side.
After 130km it has stopped now, so perhaps just a one off on this delivery..

What lube (easy) are you guys using on the tyres ( YES tire (U.S. English) or tyre (British English)) for these bikes? My last couple have all had scottoilers fitted so haven't looked into it for years.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
my trick pull off to the side of the road in the gravel . do a burn out . tire scuffed :evil6:
I'm always amazed when i get back on the pavement, no matter how much rear fender i have i always see rocks flying where they shouldn't...like up over my head and landing in front of me.

Reactions: v2Bob
1 - 11 of 11 Posts