Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home from work, no engine light. Took gf to dinner and noticed the check engine light went on coming up to a stop when the clutch was engaged. Goes off again as the clutch is let out. Engine light also comes on in neutral. HELP - Big ride tomorrow, what do I do?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Is there an error code displayed when the light comes on, just above the speed on the dash?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sounds like the O2 sensor is triggering the light on/off. You might have some bad gas (maybe some excess water in it) that is causing the issue. Get some new gas from a different station or add some fuel cleaner in to see if the problem goes and stays away.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
It could also be from a low battery, I have had that happen before on other bikes. If you are just riding your bike in slower traffic, the low rpm's can cause the battery to drain down. If you are not running it at high enough rpm, the battery does not get a good charge.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just got home from work, no engine light. Took gf to dinner and noticed the check engine light went on coming up to a stop when the clutch was engaged. Goes off again as the clutch is let out. Engine light also comes on in neutral. HELP - Big ride tomorrow, what do I do?
speed shift and don't use the clutch! :p

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Do you have a battery tender? like a Battery Tender Junior?

If you do, try hooking it up over night and see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
According to what I can find in the service manual, if the engine trouble warning light comes on, it should also give you an error code.

error.JPG

I could not find anything that says, the engine trouble warning light would come on and note give an error code.

If your coolant level is low and the bike starts running hot, you will get the flashing message "HI".

hot.JPG

Also in the Owners Manual, if the oil level is low the oil light will come on. From an MT-09 Owners manual, that has ABS and Immobilizer.

lights.JPG

·
Registered
420 Posts
I see where there is an ABS warning light. I am unaware of any ABS with the FZ09. Is the MT09 different or was ABS added for the 2015 model?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
ABS and the Immobilizer key fob are on the MT-09's only as far as I know.

All the MT's are listed as ABS, all seven model on the UK website.

mtmodels.JPG
MT Yamaha Motor UK

In the UK, they have four different motorcycle drivers license classes, which is why they have a market for the MT-125. It's also why we are seeing all the manufacturers coming out with the 250cc, 300cc to 400cc bikes.
Motorcycle Licences Yamaha Motor UK

They also list all the bikes that are eligible for each class. I know they do this in other countries as well, like Australia. I think it's a good idea, it eliminates the 16 year old's riding Super Bikes. Way to many of them end up dead do to lack of experience and respect for such a bike.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I had this happen a few times. The starter switch gets stuck between start and run. Just give the starter switch a tap and see if it pops back to the run position. I am not sure how to fix this maybe some silicone spray will work ?
Maybe someone has a solution for this on here? I know its kind of scary at 1:15am and 20miles from home

·
Registered
857 Posts
Contact cleaner please, and make sure it is plastic safe. No WD-40, no silicone on electrics please.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had this happen a few times. The starter switch gets stuck between start and run. Just give the starter switch a tap and see if it pops back to the run position. I am not sure how to fix this maybe some silicone spray will work ?
Maybe someone has a solution for this on here? I know its kind of scary at 1:15am and 20miles from home
That was exactly my problem. Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
OK do you have a ODB 2 Code Reader? If not buy one on eBay for $10. Then you will need the adapter so that you can plug the code reader into your bike. That cable cost approximately 7 to 8 dollars. Also on eBay. You have to take the seat off and towards the rear right behind the battery and near the fuse box there is the open cable that connects it and there’s only one way you can plug it in. Turn your bike on turn the code reader on and go through the functions of resetting the code. You’ll be fine

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
OK do you have a ODB 2 Code Reader? If not buy one on eBay for $10. Then you will need the adapter so that you can plug the code reader into your bike. That cable cost approximately 7 to 8 dollars. Also on eBay. You have to take the seat off and towards the rear right behind the battery and near the fuse box there is the open cable that connects it and there’s only one way you can plug it in. Turn your bike on turn the code reader on and go through the functions of resetting the code. You’ll be fine
Lol, you DO realize that post is about 5 1/2 years old, right? Good on ya for the advice though brother🤙

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks DB! I’m still have my “Chk Engine” light on! DAMMIT... So what’s left is either buying a Power Commander & Flashing the ECM myself for $3-$400 dollars. OR...having a shop do it for $150-$200. Which would u do? Duhh....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts