Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bikes check engine light came on today flashing a 5d--20 code. Does anyone know what that code is? I just recently put a m4 exhaust on, hopefully it wasn't because of that

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
My bikes check engine light came on today flashing a 5d--20 code. Does anyone know what that code is? I just recently put a m4 exhaust on, hopefully it wasn't because of that
sd--20 is 'intake air pressure sensor 1 voltage and intake air pressure sensor 2 voltage differ greatly'.

simply installing an exhaust shouldn't cause this problem. did you install a power commander or other fuel controller at the same time, or otherwise underneath the tank playing with wiring or hoses?

p.s. please don't make multiple posts asking the same question.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No I have not done anything as far as power commander. I also put a fender eliminator kit but only had to splice wires for the license plate lights. I started the bike the when the temperature was pretty cold (I live in idaho) could that mess it up? I'm just lost and don't really want to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
No I have not done anything as far as power commander. I also put a fender eliminator kit but only had to splice wires for the license plate lights.
you spliced the license plate lights into the existing taillight wiring?

I started the bike the when the temperature was pretty cold (I live in idaho) could that mess it up? I'm just lost and don't really want to take it to the dealer.
was the error just a one time thing? when you turn the ignition key off and then back on again, is it still throwing out 'sd--20'? try warming up the engine for a few minutes (it will still run with fault code 20), then turn the ignition key off and back on. is it still throwing the error?

the instrument panel only displays one 'sd' fault code at a time, but the ecu remembers multiple fault codes, let's see if 'sd--20' is your only error.

do this:

- turn the ignition key off and the engine run switch off
- hold down the 'select' and 'reset' buttons
- turn the ignition key on, keeping both buttons held down
- after about 8-10 seconds, the display will change and say 'diag' - this is diagnostics mode. release both buttons.
- press and hold down both buttons again
- after about 2 seconds, the display changes and it will have a '1' where the speedo is, and above that, it will say 'di xx' (xx should be around 15). release both buttons

the big '1' is the diagnostics code (not fault code), and you can flip through the codes with the 'select' (forwards) and 'reset' (backwards) buttons. each code is for a specific function (e.g. sensor or actuator, or ecu info), and where the 'xx' is, shows the particular value for that function. in this case '1' is throttle position sensor 1. if you turn the throttle at this point, you'll see the value at 'xx' change.

click 'reset' a couple of times to flip backwards to diagnostics code 61, this is the fault code history. keep an eye on the 'xx' value, it will display the recorded fault codes. you should see '20', but if there other errors, it will display them (it scrolls through them every 2 seconds).

make a note of any other errors and post back with them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Diagnostics

you spliced the license plate lights into the existing taillight wiring?

was the error just a one time thing? when you turn the ignition key off and then back on again, is it still throwing out 'sd--20'? try warming up the engine for a few minutes (it will still run with fault code 20), then turn the ignition key off and back on. is it still throwing the error?

the instrument panel only displays one 'sd' fault code at a time, but the ecu remembers multiple fault codes, let's see if 'sd--20' is your only error.

do this:

- turn the ignition key off and the engine run switch off
- hold down the 'select' and 'reset' buttons
- turn the ignition key on, keeping both buttons held down
- after about 8-10 seconds, the display will change and say 'diag' - this is diagnostics mode. release both buttons.
- press and hold down both buttons again
- after about 2 seconds, the display changes and it will have a '1' where the speedo is, and above that, it will say 'di xx' (xx should be around 15). release both buttons

the big '1' is the diagnostics code (not fault code), and you can flip through the codes with the 'select' (forwards) and 'reset' (backwards) buttons. each code is for a specific function (e.g. sensor or actuator, or ecu info), and where the 'xx' is, shows the particular value for that function. in this case '1' is throttle position sensor 1. if you turn the throttle at this point, you'll see the value at 'xx' change.

click 'reset' a couple of times to flip backwards to diagnostics code 60, this is the fault code history. keep an eye on the 'xx' value, it will display the recorded fault codes. you should see '20', but if there other errors, it will display them (it scrolls through them every 2 seconds).

make a note of any other errors and post back with them.
I checked the diagnostics and it showed code 20&21 are on. Is there any way to clear them? The check engine light stays on

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I checked the diagnostics and it showed code 20&21 are on. Is there any way to clear them? The check engine light stays on
no, you're viewing diagnostic codes 20 and 21, which are to test the sidestand switch and gear position sensor/clutch switch. diagnostics codes and fault codes are not the same.

you're getting the 'sd--20' error which means fault code 20. this doesn't mean you click over to '20' in diagnostics mode.

click over to diagnostic code 61 (fault code history) and watch the area with the smaller numbers - it will scroll through the errors. you should see '20', but we want to make sure that's the only error you have. (when you're not in diagnostic mode, the dash will only display one 'sd--' fault code even if you have multiple faults at the same time.)

if you fix whatever was causing the fault code, the dash will stop displaying the check engine light and 'sd--' error message. the fault code gets remembered in the fault code history which can be cleared.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Installed an M4, assuming its the slip on and you had to cut the collector pipe to install. Check your O2 sensor, maybe it got loose or disconnected from the wiring harness.

In any case, try disconnecting the battery for 5-10 minutes, reconnect the battery and see if it resets itself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no, you're viewing diagnostic codes 20 and 21, which are to test the sidestand switch and gear position sensor/clutch switch. diagnostics codes and fault codes are not the same.

you're getting the 'sd--20' error which means fault code 20. this doesn't mean you click over to '20' in diagnostics mode.

click over to diagnostic code 60 (fault code history) and watch the area with the smaller numbers - it will scroll through the errors. you should see '20', but we want to make sure that's the only error you have. (when you're not in diagnostic mode, the dash will only display one 'sd--' fault code even if you have multiple faults at the same time.)

if you fix whatever was causing the fault code, the dash will stop displaying the check engine light and 'sd--' error message. the fault code gets remembered in the fault code history which can be cleared.
Ok, I clicked on diagnostic code 60. All is shows is 00. It doesn't scroll through anything. It just says d1 00

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Ok, I clicked on diagnostic code 60. All is shows is 00. It doesn't scroll through anything. It just says d1 00
my bad, it should be 61, not 60.

if you're only getting a steady 'd1 20' (wait a couple of seconds to see if the number changes), post the values for diagnostic codes 3 and 4. these are the air pressure values for the two air pressure sensors in kpa. ideally, they should be very close if not the same, but if they're too far off, you'll get a fault code 20.

the pressure values should also be valid. if you're at sea level, both sensors should read around 101. if you're at altitude, you can use this calculator:

http://www.calctool.org/CALC/phys/default/pres_at_alt

of course, atmospheric pressure is affected by things like temp and humidity, but we're just looking for values that are obviously wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my bad, it should be 61, not 60.

if you're only getting a steady 'd1 20' (wait a couple of seconds to see if the number changes), post the values for diagnostic codes 3 and 4. these are the air pressure values for the two air pressure sensors in kpa. ideally, they should be very close if not the same, but if they're too far off, you'll get a fault code 20.

the pressure values should also be valid. if you're at sea level, both sensors should read around 101. if you're at altitude, you can use this calculator:

CalcTool: Pressure at altitude calculator

of course, atmospheric pressure is affected by things like temp and humidity, but we're just looking for values that are obviously wrong.
Ok code 3 is at 87 and code 4 is at 84. The d1 20 just says on, it doesn't change. Code 61 did not do anything also.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
what's the history of this bike? are you the original owner, any other mods done to the bike, any recent maintenance, how many miles etc.?

these 'sd' fault codes should stop displaying on the dash once the problem is no longer there, but i've heard of bikes sometimes needing to have the fault history cleared manually before they'd stop displaying the error.

so, clear the history by going to diagnostics code 62 (the number next to 'd1' is the number of faults recorded since the history was last cleared, in your case it should be '1') and flipping the engine run switch from off to on. if the run switch was already on, flip it off, then back to on. when it clears, it should show 'd1 00' and if you click down to code 61, it should also now show 'd1 00'.

turn the ignition off, then on again and start the bike. let it idle for a minute or two. does the dash still say 'sd--20'?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Ok code 3 is at 87 and code 4 is at 84. The d1 20 just says on, it doesn't change. Code 61 did not do anything also.
fwiw, i just checked the iap values on my bike. i got 102 and 100 for codes 3 and 4, respectively (i'm at sea level), no fault code.

clear the fault history as in my previous post, idle the engine for a minute or two, and if you're still getting the error, try hitting the starter when in diagnostics codes 3 and 4 (don't worry, the bike won't start, it'll just crank). you should see the values change drastically while cranking. don't crank for too long or you'll run down the battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well something must have worked. It cleared the code and the check engine light stays off now. I hope that it was just a one time thing. It seems to be running better now that the light is off also. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Well something must have worked. It cleared the code and the check engine light stays off now. I hope that it was just a one time thing. It seems to be running better now that the light is off also. Thanks for your help
the air pressure sensors are used for the speed-density (low load) fuel tables, so if they're not quite right the engine won't run as well.

glad to hear it's sorted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts