Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a look at mine and noticed it was down to the low line already - barely 200 miles on it.

I think the little rubber cap was not in properly, don't know if that blue stuff evaporates or not? Perhaps it just burped some air out.
Damn that thing is hard to get too and the plastic heat shield doesn't help.

The manual is very non-specific about the type of coolant to use, (page 7-15) so as I have Toyota long life coolant, I diluted it with distilled water and added a small dixie cup full.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
It's dangerous to mix unknown coolants, some don't mix and turn into goo and clog inlet, outlet hoses as well as the whole radiator.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Be careful mixing coolant types, can cause big problems if not compatible. Coolant can turn to a gel. You might want to pull that bottle off and dump it unless you can be sure they can mix ok. It probably hasn't gone into the system yet. You can always just top off a little bit with distilled water, it won't change the mix enough to matter.

Here I go scaring people again.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Be careful mixing coolant types, can cause big problems if not compatible. Coolant can turn to a gel. You might want to pull that bottle off and dump it unless you can be sure they can mix ok. It probably hasn't gone into the system yet. You can always just top off a little bit with distilled water, it won't change the mix enough to matter.

Here I go scaring people again.
No, your right. Better to be safe than sorry. Hopefully he hasn't run it through the block. If it gets clogged in there BIG trouble.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So which coolants were mixed in those photo's?
As far as I know there are 2 basic types - ethelyne glycol and the stuff they put in race bikes (the ice stuff or the other glycol that is a food additive)

So what is the blue stuff yamaha puts in there?
Per the handbook (quote) Recommended Antifreeze: High quality ethylene glycol anti freeze containing corrosion inhibitors for aluminum engines (end quote)
Nothing was mentioned about the color added to the mix.

The toyota stuff is good for 10 years on the OEM fill, 6 years after that. I suspect it is high quality and as their engines are all aluminum...
I'm not worried about it - I'll let you now if it turns to gel

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Change mine for water wheater. Not like I have to worry about freezing here :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yamaha has premixed coolant for topping off. $9 for a quart but no issues with mixing. That tiny overflow reservoir holds so little it's very easy to overfill!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mine was low this week (3,500km). Did purchase Yamacool and add some in my expansion tank. 90ml later I was on the hi level mark. Been there done that.

Yamaha FZ09 / First bike and it make me smile like nothing else!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Change mine for water wheater. Not like I have to worry about freezing here :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Don't forget about climate change! Joking of course.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
438 Posts
The expansion tank is not a level gauge for your radiator. Its just what it sounds like. It will be near the low line when cold and near the high line when hot. If you want to check your coolant level then you need to remove your radiator cap. Only when cold though.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I peed in my will that hurt it ha ha.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The expansion tank is not a level gauge for your radiator. Its just what it sounds like. It will be near the low line when cold and near the high line when hot. If you want to check your coolant level then you need to remove your radiator cap. Only when cold though.

not true....the coolant will get pushed into the tank on a hot engine, and sucked back into the radiator as the bike cools down.....if the radiator cap is good, the radiator should not need to be opened to check the level.

The only time you would need to open the radiator is if the tank is empty as it could have sucked in air...or if your changing the coolant obviously

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
438 Posts
not true....the coolant will get pushed into the tank on a hot engine, and sucked back into the radiator as the bike cools down....
That's why it will be near the low mark when cold and high mark when hot. I don't see how a motorcycle cooling system would be different from a cage cooling system, and i can tell you from experience that even if the overflow bottle is full, your radiator can be low.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm sure the Yamaha comes with ethylene glycol type, or "EGW". Thats the stuff that is not "pet safe" or whatever they cal it now. Dont mix it with propylene glycol "PGW or it turns into a sludge. Outside of that..I've tried most of them, up to and including the Evans brand, and found a big "whatever" for my results.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts