Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
Im a 160 lbs and dont feel the need for now to buy an expensive rear shock absorber or a front fork suspension...

So i wanted to reach the spring of the rear shock, paint it in yellow and the put it back. I have the service manual so i see how its istalled in there...

The problem is that i dont want to dissemble all the rear of the bike just to get to the spring and i wonder if it takes some special tools to get to there?

In other words...what is the easiest way to take out the spring from the rear shock absorber?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hi there!
Im a 160 lbs and dont feel the need for now to buy an expensive rear shock absorber or a front fork suspension...

So i wanted to reach the spring of the rear shock, paint it in yellow and the put it back. I have the service manual so i see how its istalled in there...

The problem is that i dont want to dissemble all the rear of the bike just to get to the spring and i wonder if it takes some special tools to get to there?

In other words...what is the easiest way to take out the spring from the rear shock absorber?
The shock has to come out to remove the spring. Also, trust me if you ride in a spirited pace even at your weight you'll run into the limits of stock suspension real quick.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I do not think you will have much luck painting a spring. By nature it flexes - most normal paints do not - so they would crack right off.

Most springs are coated in some sort of plastic or urethane - so if you want to change color of the spring itself - you may be best off using some sort of plastidip in a can where you dip the whole part into it. The kind that is made for doing the handle portion of tools.

Kirk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the patiance and the tools ...abd skills but before throwing my self i want to have a plan.

Do i have to remove the seat completely? Or the swingarm...or none of them?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
In my opinion it is not worth the trouble just to paint it. If you are going to take it out, you might as well upgrade. You can get the zx-10 shock for cheap.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Removing the shock: there is a thread somewhere about it.

The readers digest version is:
1) remove seat
2) remove tank
3) support the weight of the bike from someplace other than the swingarm. Some use footpegs, some use a jack or blocks under the engine, some use chassis stands
4) loosen the top shock mount bolt
5) remove the top shock mounting point - this is part of the frame bolted to the frame at the rear of the engine and the top shock bolt connects to this mount.
6) remove the bolts on the rocker to get access to the bottom shock mount bolt
7) remove the bottom shock mount bolt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts