Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now i have rec'd my rear integrated tailgate, I'm going to have to sort out those bulbous orange front indicators, cos they're going to stick out like a sore thumb !

I guess i'll need to go with LED's.... So my understanding is I'll need to buy a relay to replace the one under the seat, is that correct?

Something along the lines of this.

Relay Turn Signal for Flash Rate Control LED Lights ZX Ninja CBR YZF GSXR TL Vs | eBay

Which when installed, should slow down the fast flash of the integrated led tailgate light back down to stock speeds.. right ?

To those who have already replaced......So is it a hard job to replace those front indicators? Or pretty straight forward

·
Registered
67 Posts
Easy.
Hardest part is to find indicators that fit/fill the teardrop shape hole left behind when the stock ones are removed.
You have another wire up front compared to the rear. Running lights.
Yes on the blinker relay.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That is the relay I used after installing the integrated tail light. Plug and play, no issues encountered. I ordered from the listing you posted but there other other sellers shipping direct from China for less.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm not sure if these will work but they've been ordered, are on the way and I'll report back. I have signals in hand for front and rear and then immediately got stumped on just the rear Graves Tail Tidy because the hole is a large teardrop hole. I was going to do 1 1/2" fender washers with 3/8" center hole but figured I wanted to do it right the first time and have it look nice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350104251350?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Easy.
Hardest part is to find indicators that fit/fill the teardrop shape hole left behind when the stock ones are removed.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Easy.
Yamaha sells LED upgrade signals right in the FZ-09 accessories section of their web site, I had my dealer install them on mine as well as a factory metal tail tidy.

image.jpg

Reactions: RedRay

·
Registered
337 Posts
Targa turn signal adapter plates for the 2003-2009 R6 work perfectly on the front also, I ordered a set from Ebay (Riders Discount).

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
LED polarity?

I got 2 pairs of these today:
R&G Plug 'n Play Micro Indicators turn signals (LED) - TwistedThrottle.com

Are LEDs picky about which wire is negative and which is positive? Each has a black wire and a black with white stripe wire. The solid black would be generically the negative/ground wire.

I'm going to try them with a 12v battery, see how bright/effective they are etc. They are a bit smaller than I thought from the web photo but other than that look good, but I'm a bit paranoid about signal effectiveness, so will check.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I got 2 pairs of these today:
R&G Plug 'n Play Micro Indicators turn signals (LED) - TwistedThrottle.com

Are LEDs picky about which wire is negative and which is positive? Each has a black wire and a black with white stripe wire. The solid black would be generically the negative/ground wire.

I'm going to try them with a 12v battery, see how bright/effective they are etc. They are a bit smaller than I thought from the web photo but other than that look good, but I'm a bit paranoid about signal effectiveness, so will check.
An LED will not light up if the polarity is reversed. All it is, is a Light Emitting Diode...and a diode will not pass current if it is not biased (correct polarity) properly.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Houston, we have an electrician in the room. I always check with my tongue.
Yea, I guess I got a little carried away didn't I? :cool:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Thanks Vern, so wrong polarity no harm but no light either, good to know. Way better than a flash and toast lol.

So I'll go with the solid black wire is negative standard.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm not sure if these will work but they've been ordered, are on the way and I'll report back. I have signals in hand for front and rear and then immediately got stumped on just the rear Graves Tail Tidy because the hole is a large teardrop hole. I was going to do 1 1/2" fender washers with 3/8" center hole but figured I wanted to do it right the first time and have it look nice.

Yamaha Stalk Turn Signal Adapters R1 02 08 YZF Plate | eBay

Less than thrilled with these but made them work. The set of 4 literally included 2 all black and 2 carbon fiber. I used fender washers on the insides and ended up painting the carbon fiber set. The holes were too small and I had to drill them out a tad to get to 3/8".

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
After much research, I simply purchased the R&G signals and FZ09 adapters, not looking to jerry rig these things. The flush mounts don't do it for me, so I wanted mini stalks. You can use the stock rubber mounting stalk and bolt an 8mm signal to it, but it looks ghetto, because it is unfinished and doesn't look factory.

$111 shipped and I have 4 signals and the correct adapters. More than the Chinese flush mounts, but much less than Rizoma...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
For the guys that upgraded to led, do they still remain on all the time or do you lose that?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
That is all in the wiring. Aftermarket signals are 2 wire, Yamaha needs three for the running lights. I'm not going to wire in the running lights. I've never owned a bike with them, so I don't see a need now. You need an adapter if you want to keep the running lights.

·
Registered
657 Posts
For the guys that upgraded to led, do they still remain on all the time or do you lose that?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Im wiring in the Yamaha OEM LED turn signals on the front (and rear).

They come with resistors to prevent the fast blink from the low resistance of the LED's. To keep them as running lights, I ordered the customLED blinker genie.

·
Registered
159 Posts
After much research, I simply purchased the R&G signals and FZ09 adapters, not looking to jerry rig these things. The flush mounts don't do it for me, so I wanted mini stalks. You can use the stock rubber mounting stalk and bolt an 8mm signal to it, but it looks ghetto, because it is unfinished and doesn't look factory.

$111 shipped and I have 4 signals and the correct adapters. More than the Chinese flush mounts, but much less than Rizoma...
Fizzerpilot, can you point me to a link for the ones you purchased?

I am wanting to replace my stock signals with something much smaller - but looking for plug and play compatibility and don't want it jerry rigged either.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 75 Posts