Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm changing the spring on my bike and I only need to remove the bottom bolt. I've got the bike up on stands but I don't see how to access the bottom bolt. Do I need to remove the dog bone and work from underneath?

·
Registered
165 Posts
You need to remove the bolt accessed via the hole in the swingarm, then the link will move enough to get to the bottom shock bolt.

Not sure you will have enough clearance with the shock on the bike though.

And you still won't have sufficient damping.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You can't remove the bottom shock bolt unless you have the bike off it's rear suspension; swingarm stand won't cut it. Need to put the center of the bike on something to allow the rear suspension to fully unload. Look at the threads of using Jack stands on the foot pegs to get the bike up off the suspension.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
a hydraulic jack under the scrotum works fine.
I would never support my scrotum with a jack (*cough*), but that's just me... foot peg brackets or hung from above would be my preferred methods. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I inverted the pegs and lifted the bike onto Jack stands. I don't believe lifting from under the Akra exhaust would be a good idea. Actually removing the swing arm bolt allowed the wheel to drop sufficiently to access the holy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts