Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Do You Change Your Own Tires

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding since I was 13 and always paid to have my tires replaced. I need to throw some better tires on the 09 for my next track day and I'm thinking about installing my own tires. I've added a poll to see how many of you guys change your own tires.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've changed my own before. Last few times I've assisted a buddy while he changed them on his No-Mar changer. I'd like to eventually get one for myself.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Planning on getting a No-Mar after I move as long as I have shop space. I change so many sets for the track, that it should pay for itself within a year or two.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I've done mine on a NoMar since 2007. No telling how many times it's paid for itself, as I've probably changed out over 100 tires with it.... not counting the number of tires I've flipped for track day use

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I generally replace my own tires as it is quicker and easier than taking the wheel off, taking the wheel to the shop, waiting for them to install the new tire or come back later to pickup the wheel with the new tire and then go back home and install the wheel and new tire.

I can swap out a street tire in about 5 minutes with tire irons and sitting on the floor. I have a cheapo HF tire machine that i use as a work platform, not as an actual tire machine.

Reactions: cosmoKenney

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
233 Posts
I built a machine similar to the NoMar in '02

Don't have a clue as to how many tires I've went thru.
Just being able to prep the bike for a longer ride at last minute is the best part.

·
Registered
107 Posts
5 gallon bucket and 3 tire spoons and you can do it.
A set of jack stands and the axle will get you close to balanced.
That's how I did it for 20 years or so, then I got a No-Mar and never looked back.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I used to change my own tires but haven't on my last few bikes... need to get back into that.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
How do you guys balance the tire?

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
474 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've had a No Mar machine for almost 10 years. Great machine.

I must have got my 1st sometime after they just started selling them. So 3 years ago No Mar is at the motorcycle show and I tell them I had 1 and wish that I had the Pro model. The guy from No Mar ask if I was the original owner and if I'd purchased it from them which I had. Pulls my original purchase order up in the computer, thanks me for my business and says he will do an even exchange for all my old stuff for all brand new pro machine and accessories.

Great company great machine and great people working for them. I would highly recommend any of their machines.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I too have a NoMar and love being one step closer to independence from untrustworthy local dealers. Will it pay for itself? Eventually. But I'm just pleased that I can do it on my time.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I don't want to drop the coin on a No-mar, and they take up a lot of real estate. Anyone use something like this ? I would have it get a balancer / weights too. Maybe split the costs with Beck .

Motorsport Products Portable Tire Changer with Bead Breaker - Motorcycle Superstore
Those work BUT the problem is that it is too low and thus difficult to use.

If you mount it to something taller like a bench or something, then that is basically what I have with my HF set up.

One of these days I will get a No-Mar or something similar. I already have their No-Mar bar.

Reactions: Davinci

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
1 - 20 of 60 Posts